homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Headache cures... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Headache cures...
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted August 28, 2005 17:48      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok so all my life I've had migraine problems, and I've tried a lot of things, lately they've gone away, but as of this week they are back, and pissed. So I was wondering do any of you know any good migraine cures? I'm at the point where it hurts to open my eyes. Any help will be greatly appreciated

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 18:16      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are only two things that have ever helped me when that happened.

A handful of Advil and and hour nap.

or

A shot of something strong and also a nap.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2434 | From: Somewhere between the gutter... and probably another gutter | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 19:33      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
go with #2

4 beers, 2 glasses of water and go to bed

had one yesterday that made me see in 2 different directions, and both eyes throbbing

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 19:41      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
alfrin___________I used to get terrible migraines, untill I devorced my first wife haven't had one since.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5449 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 19:46      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
alfrin___________I used to get terrible migraines, untill I devorced my first wife haven't had one since.

Hmm. That's funny MoMan, I haven't had a migrane for a couple months now...

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2434 | From: Somewhere between the gutter... and probably another gutter | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 19:51      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had horrible migraines pretty frequently for about 15 years. Then, for an unrelated problem, I went to a chiropractor - a good one. I haven't had a migraine since (that was 1987), and I see a chiropractor a couple of times a year. Several others we know who have suffered similarly have also found complete relief from chiropractic therapy. FWIW, YMMV.

Good luck. I hated migraines.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 20:00      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
garlicguy wrote:

I see a chiropractor a couple of times a year.

But do you see spots?

--------------------
Silly railfan pics...
Flickr!

Posts: 792 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 20:07      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just these little brightly colored flying ones between me and my Mac.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 20:34      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing that has helped with my migraines is a large does of painkillers when I feel one coming. Once I get a full-blown one, sleep is the only thing that works.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 21:07      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HalfVast:
quote:
garlicguy wrote:

I see a chiropractor a couple of times a year.

But do you see spots?
I do, I and I would take #2 but I cannot A: Sleep or B: get drunk where I'm at now, so I just have to wait it out til I get home and have a change to sleep.

--------------------

Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 23:46      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, funny you should post that now! I've been making a lot of effort this past week to ease my migraine suffering. I been researching the topic, and applying the research. I hate migraines! Sometimes I'm out two days sick in bed. [Mad]

I bought this book last week, and it seems pretty good.
Breaking The Headache Cylce

There's some good diet information here. Migraine Prevention Foods.

Here's another good page; Migraine Elimination Diet.

What works for me is cutting out caffeine, chocolate, cheese, alcohol. I've also been listening to relaxation tapes or do meditation every day, I started a headache diary to help spot triggers too. Also there are some pretty good medications out there, so check with your doctor about that, however, they tend to be $$$.

Good luck on your headache-free journey, and keep us updated on what works for you! I'd be interested to hear what works for you. [Smile]

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 04:26      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CommanderShroom______________________I think I felt trapped by circumstances of my oun making, being married to her two kids, large mortgage. About one month after the last court hearing I noticed that I had not had one in July Nineteen Eighty and have been free of recurances since.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5449 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 05:55      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm fortunate to say I've never suffered from migraines. My mother, however, has. She went to a doctor about it, and the doctor said it was her eyes.

She went to an optometrist. Turns out she needed a weak perscription of glasses -- her eyes had only deteriorated enough to cause them to have to unnecessarily strain to see things, but not enough for her to notice, thus the migraines.

Once she got her glasses, the issue was no more.

For me, the only cure for headaches is sleep.

I refuse to take any medication of any kind -- except for antihistamines, which DONT FSCKING WORK -- so Advil, Tylenol, etc, aren't an option.

Posts: 4894 | From: Kitchener, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 07:02      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
CommanderShroom______________________I think I felt trapped by circumstances of my oun making,

MoMan, since I am currently going through the separation of life and property. I though it only fitting to make the joke...

But I know the whole thing about making a life that turns out wasn't your own idea...

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 08:12      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anybody tried a non-pharmaceutical approach??

Traditionally, Feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium) has been used as a preventative. Just eat some leaves in a salad every couple of days...
I know that the medical tests are inconclusive on this one, but they used capsules of freeze-dried leaves, which has got to be a poor way to utilise a medicinal herb.
Anyway, there must be something in it, as is has been a traditional remedy in Europe for hundreds of years.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 09:06      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Migraines, for me, are highly stress related. Relaxation, darkness and sleep seem to help. You can try natural oils (peppermint and lavender) to help with relaxation.

Or if it gets as bad as mine a couple weeks ago, the ER can provide you with some nice shots. I got Phenergan, Imitrex and NuBain. [crazy]

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 10:53      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my 3 day event, at least once a week migrane attacks stopped almost overnight when I tried going vegetarian 10 years ago. It seems I'd developed a food intolerance for meat and fish.

I now only get them rarely, mostly when I get dehydrated or if I somehow end up in an extreme caffeine withdrawal situation.

For me, the treatment involves the classic lying down in a darkened room, attempting to rehydrate, taking Ibuprofen and Paracetemol and using a heatpack on my neck.

A note for when you find you have to take painkillers, especially asprin/Ibuprofen based ones. Make sure you eat some food with the pills, as it will help them get into your system faster and also reduce the damage they do to your stomache lining.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 11:52      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:

I refuse to take any medication of any kind -- except for antihistamines, which DONT FSCKING WORK -- so Advil, Tylenol, etc, aren't an option.

I used to try toughing them out, but I had to admit that wasn't working when I had a severe one on a Disneyland trip and ended the day by throwing up in a planter.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
NOP
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3842

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 14:16      Profile for NOP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, seems quite a few people here suffer from migraine problems - is it a geek thing? We're all different, so different things will work for different people, but I suppose some will be the same for all. What seems to work for me, some might be 'common sense':

Get pain killers inside at the first sign of symptoms.

Find pain killers that work. My doctor has always told me to use paracetamol, but I don't think it really works for me. I use ibuprofen or sometimes codine - I shouldn't technically take either, but under the circumstances I like to take stuff that works.

A reasonable supply of caffine. If I drink 3 cups of coffee a day I'm fine. Much more and I'm bad, much less and I'm bad.

Try to get plenty of sleep at night.

Avoid alcohol when an attack is likely or in progress.

Keep well hydrated at all times.

Tinted glasses. I have had fewer attacks since using photochromatic lenses.

When all else fails, sleep it off. The consequences off not doing so can be unpleasent for all involved.

Posts: 46 | From: TL050227 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 14:24      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
I'm fortunate to say I've never suffered from migraines. My mother, however, has. She went to a doctor about it, and the doctor said it was her eyes.

She went to an optometrist. Turns out she needed a weak perscription of glasses -- her eyes had only deteriorated enough to cause them to have to unnecessarily strain to see things, but not enough for her to notice, thus the migraines.

Once she got her glasses, the issue was no more.

For me, the only cure for headaches is sleep.

Ah yes the eyes thing, I've had that checked out when I was younger, and I now go every six months just in case, turns out massive doses of caffiene do the trick for me as i discovered lsat night.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 15:31      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I'm another migraine sufferer - it's not too frequent for me - I might get them once of a month, or it might be many months between them. Last month, I was having one a week, practically, which definitely sucked. However, taking Imitrex early on helps a whole lot - pretty much makes it disappear if I'm lucky. If not, well then, I'm off to a cold (heat will kill me when I'm having a migraine, let alone under normal conditions), dark place for a fun ride of pain and sleep.

Idle curiosity, does anyone else feel incredibly clear-headed after the migraine is totally over? (That is, typically after waking up after it's completely passed.) It almost seems like nature's way of clearing up whatever 'fog' has been accumulating.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9204 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 15:44      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
...Idle curiosity, does anyone else feel incredibly clear-headed after the migraine is totally over? (That is, typically after waking up after it's completely passed.) It almost seems like nature's way of clearing up whatever 'fog' has been accumulating.

nope, when it's gone, there's just a dull leftover ache that i can deal with
kinda like a muscle sprain

sprained my brain [crazy]

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 15:51      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A very cold washrag across my forehead works for me most of the time-but I get a mixture of migraines and bad sinus headaches. Also get out of the light immediately if possible-especially if you work in fluorescent lighting like I do..

I've tried the peppermint oil on my temples-jury's still out. It seems to relax me, though.

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 16:49      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What works for me is cutting out caffeine, chocolate, cheese, alcohol.
How do you live! [weep]

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 17:03      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matias:
quote:
What works for me is cutting out caffeine, chocolate, cheese, alcohol.
How do you live! [weep]
I guess you can say he lives a sad and lonely life...

EDIT EDIT EDIT: I never bothered to see who originially posted that, should be "she", much apologizes to Nitro

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.