homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Friday Five - summer time, summer time, summ, summ, summertime

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friday Five - summer time, summer time, summ, summ, summertime
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2005 17:57      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know if you guys are sick of Friday Fives, just let me know. Since it is Memorial Day weekend here, summertime questions seemed appropriate.

1. What is your favorite summer activity?

2. When you were a child, what was your favorite summer activity?

3. What is your favourite picnic food?

4. Did your family have any summer time traditions?

4. What has been your favorite summer vacation?

5. Do you now or did you as a child have lawn ornaments? (extra points for pink flamingoes.)

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2005 18:02      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. What is your favorite summer activity? Now it is gardening.

2. When you were a child, what was your favorite summer activity? Summer reading programs at the library. Whining at my mom to get to get ice cream from the Good Humour man.

3. What is your favourite picnic food? Potato salad

4. Did your family have any summer time traditions? My dad was a professor and had summers off. We used to do these long see America vacations that took on epic proportions.

4. What has been your favorite summer vacation? I have fond memories of going to Seaside Heights as a really small kid. We'd rent a house and spend a week. As an adult going to the Shakespeare Festival in Canada with my brother.

5. Do you now or did you as a child have lawn ornaments? (extra points for pink flamingos.) Not as a kid. I have a big collection of metal yard sculpture now. My favourite is a crazy cat chasing a star.

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2005 19:29      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. What is your favorite summer activity? - Several. Working (yeah, I'm not earning a living. That's why I like it). Hanging out at the library & the mom&pop coffee shop in town.

2. When you were a child, what was your favorite summer activity? - Biking down the Illinois Prairie Path.

3. What is your favourite picnic food? - Ooh. Fried chicken 'n' cone bread. Yeah, I said CONE bread, not CORN bread!

4. Did your family have any summer time traditions? - Still do. Sailing in Michigan, going to the nat'l LPA (Little People of America - www.lpaonline.org) conference.

4. What has been your favorite summer vacation? - Visiting Germany (3rd time) with a US choir.

5. Do you now or did you as a child have lawn ornaments? (extra points for pink flamingoes.) - Nope. Well, except that time the sewer pipe in our front lawn broke ...

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 27, 2005 20:32      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aditu, the Friday Fives rock. Don't stop. [Smile]

Hard to choose just one.. swimming I guess, combined with hiking/kayaking/ and milkshakes. [Cool]

Swimming with a mask and flippers.

potato salad rocks! (Had it tonight! [Big Grin] )

Summers at a cottage on the shores of Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada.

Travelling across North America, have done it several times, driving through the States and Western Canada... it can't be beat. [thumbsup]

5. Do you now or did you as a child have lawn ornaments? (extra points for pink flamingoes.) Hmmm, none now, but I did have a white crane and a spinning sunflower a long time ago in a province far far away.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
maia
Alpha Geek
Member # 3778

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 27, 2005 22:24      Profile for maia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything in water or with air-conditioning and no mosquitoes

Swimming. Every year my hair would turn green from all of the chlorine.

Watermelon, yumm!

Every year my dad and I would go on a father-daughter road trip. Mom and I would usually go camping. I would also visit my grandparents for a few weeks every summer. Usually my mom would join us for the 4th of July, and we would all go hear the symphony and watch the fireworks.

My mom and I went to Disney World when I was a kid, and I hate to admit it, but it was a blast.

5. Do you now or did you as a child have lawn ornaments? (extra points for pink flamingoes.)
No, no lawn ornaments.

--------------------
Nothing is too petty to be thoroughly discussed.

Posts: 316 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2005 00:04      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drinking Gin and Tonic on a hot summer day (ok that's a year round activity) [Razz]

Flying kites

Potato Salad

Cedar Point
And camping with my Dad (My Mom never went with us)

Vacation? What's that? Haven't had a summer off since 1983.

Hell no!

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Elvermere
Geek
Member # 2456

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2005 06:44      Profile for Elvermere     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all, long time no see!

Thought I'd just try and chime in with this one, although it's winter

I'd have to say water skiing but it's been a while. SCUBA diving is also good.

Swimming, definately.

Pasta salad, although by peer pressure I should say potato salad

When I was very young, going away for 2 weeks with Dad's family. Only one now is to go away around Australia day.

Never really had one more memorable than the other.

Not now or as a child. The closest we got was pink pig statues on the front lawn on my wedding day.

Posts: 113 | From: Perth, West AU | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2005 09:00      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surfing forums

Surfing local dial-up BBS communities

Veggie brats over an open fire

Nope

Barcelona

Nope. Never.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2005 10:04      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. What is your favorite summer activity? - barbecues in the back garden that last from early afternoon into the middle of the night
2. When you were a child, what was your favorite summer activity? - riding my bike round the neighbourhood with my next door neighbour, and trying to do backflips off the garden wall while we waited for the ice cream van to come round
3. What is your favourite picnic food? - chicken drumsticks prepared in my mum's yummy marinade
4. Did your family have any summer time traditions? - We used to take long-weekend vacations, when we usually decided where to go on the morning of the trip itself, and then just went with the flow of where and how we ended up
4. What has been your favorite summer vacation? - a trip around Northern Italy with school a couple of years ago, and last summer's trip to Cornwall with my friends
5. Do you now or did you as a child have lawn ornaments? (extra points for pink flamingoes.) - not unless one of those crazy flowers that spins around spraying water counts

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 10 posted May 28, 2005 21:05      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Riding my bike.

hmmm... Again, riding my bike. [Big Grin]

BBQ Hamburgers. (it was the 70's kids)

Trips to northern Michigan to stay with relatives on vacation.
We never went anyplace where there wasn't family.

A photo trip though Michigans upper peninsula, northern Wisconsin
and Minnesota.

Mom and Dad thought they were silly. Seems the contitioning
has stuck.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2005 18:36      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If if itsn't corn bread, what is cone bread???
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 29, 2005 19:03      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Relaxing at the beach

Relaxing at the beach

Mmm, chicken.

Umm, not really.

Hmm, all my childhood ones blurred into each other, many where we went north up the coast and fished, caravannned, etc.

Myself and my ex inherited a broken garden gnome when we moved into our current house. It caused many an argument (ex wanted to throw it out, I didn't want to, ex hid gnome, I chucked it since it was pointless to hide it, ex retrieved it and hid it behind bin, I rechucked it, etc.)

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2005 06:03      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
Don't know if you guys are sick of Friday Fives, just let me know. Since it is Memorial Day weekend here, summertime questions seemed appropriate.

Sex.

quote:

Baseball.

quote:

Sammiches.

quote:

Not really.

quote:

Our family's drive out to newfoundland. 3 days of driving. Doing it again this July.

quote:

Unless the neighbours sitting on our front porch with our parents pretty much every day drinking beer or coffee or whatever and walking are lawn ornaments, no.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2005 10:03      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) Climbing stuff
2) Hiking (gateway drug anyone [Razz] )
3) Watermelon
4) Road-tripping. Six people, in a minivan, headed for the Midwest in mid-summer. And people wonder why I am so strange.
4) Um, hmm, bloody hell, I can't decide!! Boliva was great. My first trip to Europe rocked. Denali was amazing/scarring. No, wait, I have it. The summer my bro and I hiked the Wonderland and then summited Rainier. That was wonderful. It made up for the other crap I had to put up with before that vacation (internship featuring research that went nowhere, a Dear Mary letter, totalling a car, severe loneliness in a strange place, etc.).
5)Planter boxres count? Otherwise, no. And now I don't have a lawn.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2005 10:13      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First time I answer those...

1 - I'd say reading, if possible in a tree shade.

2 - Probably swimming. Or flying kites.

3 - A special recipe of sandwich made of chicken and ham preparation filling a carved out long bread.

4a - That would be the annual extended family party, officially for my grand-parents' marriage anniversary.

4b - I guess that would be two year's ago trip in Gaspesia. Although I didn't have the chance to have a deltaplane flight from Mount St-Pierre, I still got to kayak down the Bonaventure River.

5 - No.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2005 11:03      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Swimming at Lulworth cove, Dorset. (Mmm... lardy cakes! [Smile] )

Scout trips to the woods.

Peanut butter & jelly sandwiches.

Apart from getting drunk on the porch with the neighbours, no. Maybe the occasional trip to Elora Gorge (always did love that place).

Two weeks in the South of France when I was 17, food + tent + transport courtesy of the Inner London Education Authority. [Smile]

5. Do you now or did you as a child have lawn ornaments?

Just my Dad when he fell down drunk.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2005 12:53      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Elora Gorge?

We may be living a parallel existence my friend....we used to burn out to Guelph on hot, humid southern Ontario days, smoke doobies and jump off the cliffs.....amazing that not more people died there.

Getting naked, with beer. Duh!

Playing 'stinky finger' with the girls in the neighbourhood.

Either pasta or potato salad.

Canoe trips in eastern Canada

Getting drunk off our asses up in Orillia (North of Toronto) with all those pretty girls. Or road tripping to PEI for Canada Day.

Gawd no. We were hippy kids.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2005 15:27      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, that's Elora, alright. The town itself is quite small & quaint & oldie-worldie. I remember there being a restaurant with a veranda that jutted out over the Grand River a bit. (A river that ain't so deep, but quite fast - you can get swept away when you're only up to your knees - as I found out once or twice).

IIRC there used to be an old-timey Nickleodeon there as well. Ah, memories...

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2005 06:53      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gardening.
Going to the beach.
Potato salad.
Nope.
Every summer in Southern California with my grandparents.
I now have a pair of resin frogs that sit by my flower pots in the front, and a painted-brick Uncle Sam by the door.

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted May 31, 2005 12:14      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to second the previous reply of "sex," but also, loafing around the hot house in underpants afterwards is pretty sweet, too.

Going to the library all day long and soaking up the air conditioning, while plowing through the scifi section.

Beer, hot dogs with sauerkraut, and fried chicken.

My folks always dragged me down to the summer house on Cape Cod when I was younger. They still go.

When I was hauled off to the Cape, and ended up working at a comic book store (which also happened to be a front for a coke dealer, but who cares?) for the summer. It was totally tits.

5. Do you now or did you as a child have lawn ornaments?
Not then, and I don't have a lawn now...

GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 31, 2005 22:07      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gardening. Sitting in the aircondition coding... thinking about how damned hot it is, and how good it is not to be out in it.

Tag, swimming, bike riding and the like.

BBQ Ribs...

Not really, we'd sometimes do long bikerides for charity events, and/or go to a state park and rock climb... But nothing that was every year... Except maybe Summer Fest.

Welp, we didn't go anywhere on a regular basis, but I suppose the trip to St. Louis was cool, as was the family

A milk can by the door that was there when we moved in... nothing else... except a couple of small gardens.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture