homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Internet Explorer 7 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Internet Explorer 7
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 08:37      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by suttsteve:
If you ask me, Firefox is the one that's copying IE. That's just my opinion, though.

That's the silliest thing I've ever heard, but OK.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 10:15      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:
If you ask me, Firefox is the one that's copying IE. That's just my opinion, though.

That's the silliest thing I've ever heard, but OK.
I agree with DNM on that.

suttsteve, how did you come to that conclusion? I am curious why you believe what you do. You don't happen to be from Redmond, eh?

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2472 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 11:02      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
greycat: Guess what? I'm also running FF0.8 on one of my boxen now. [Smile] Damn PITA that you can't use FF1.0 w/o GTK2 [easily]. *sigh*

P.S. Any tips on getting the above to work?

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 12:46      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

<sarcasm>
Yeah, we all know IE has been following the W3C standards for years. And I can't remember a version of IE that didn't come with tabed browsing. The side panel was IE's first too... And MS was the first to release the source code so that we hackers can poke about and make sure that it is really secure, does what we want it to and is not in the least made profiteering company that squashes or asslaminates anybody who does anything original like those evil monopolistic Mozilla development people.
</sarcasm>

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 12:51      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why are you guys feeding such an obvious troll??
Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 12:57      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure he is a troll... He hasn't said much on the board, and hasn't gotten into it... Even Cap'n hasn't taken issue with him. He may just have an opinion that we don't agree with or see... When he posts "Gates is god, bow to Gates..." Then we'll get our pitch forks and run 'im out. K?

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 13:22      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I wasn't trying to bait. I am honestly curious. Does he have a fact I am unaware of or perhaps he is missing some facts of his own and is drawing to a faulty conclusion.

That is why I asked. Though perhaps I should have added [Razz] to the end of my Redmond statement.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2472 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 13:23      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've got to admit though, Micro$oft are far more innovative in their browser, they do just about everything differently.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
suttsteve
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3448

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 14:00      Profile for suttsteve   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a troll and have never trolled in my life. I was just stating my opinion. I actually use Firefox. It's just that the GUI and layout of the two browsers seem similar to me.
Posts: 15 | From: Springfield, GA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 14:13      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, in one of my English 400s classes at PSU, we read a book about how humans are creatures of habit and some of the "silly" things designers do when they're trying to find something "unique" and "interesting."

People have played with the layout of Web Browsers, but somehow we've settled on a standard appearance... back/forward buttons, refresh, stop, and home seem to be the minimum. Their look and placement varies according to preference (yay, FireFox skins!), but they're always going to be there in some form. That's 'cause we're accustomed to those buttons and they seem to be the essentials for surfing the 'Net using windows (vs. a console).

So in that sense, suttsteve has a bit of a point. (I'd say he has a point, but I don't know offhand which came first--IE, Safari, Opera, Netscape, or Browser X.)

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3851 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 15:01      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm not a troll and have never trolled in my life. I was just stating my opinion. I actually use Firefox. It's just that the GUI and layout of the two browsers seem similar to me.

I can see that. But then again all the web browsers have had the same general feel as long as I can remember. Let's keep the text browsers out of it.

The layout has generally stayed the same. I guess that what you are saying is a partial truth. I believe that Firefox looks more like IE than some of the other alternatives. I think it was a smart move also. It makes it easier to transition.

But to say that Firefox is copying IE because of similar layouts is a bit much. They (and Mozilla) have added a lot of items to their browsers that until the release of IE7 was really quite unique. Mozilla has basically taken the ideas and put them together to make a complete experience. Without beating anyone down.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

suttsteve
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3448

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 15:39      Profile for suttsteve   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's true.
n4dmx
Geek
Member # 3177

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 15:40      Profile for n4dmx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Currently:

Firefox = good
Internet Explorer = bad

Your all gay. [Razz]

Posts: 218 | From: Georgia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 16:45      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless, of course, you work for a large direct mail company, then the opposite is true. [Frown]

--------------------

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 16:53      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
(I'd say he has a point, but I don't know offhand which came first--IE, Safari, Opera, Netscape, or Browser X.)

A little browser called NCSA Mosiac.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 21:03      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Unless, of course, you work for a large direct mail company, then the opposite is true. [Frown]

How exactly does that make the preceding comments any less true? It just means that they're not embracing the goodness. [Smile]

/me can't wait until FF1.1 comes out - MSIs!!! *That* is going to help things out for FF in the corporate environment a bit. Heck, to my surprise, I just learned that my "big boss" is using Firefox...he commented as such when I opened FF on my machine to let him get to something, and said "I've been trying it and I like it." That pleased me a whole lot - that might get me a lot more buy in* from my manager/boss in the future.

*I'm dead tired right now - what's the right way to write that? (Space, hypenated, or otherwise?)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 21:44      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, okay, my logic wasn't exactly logical, but understandable, right? (Where I work if I want to check my work e-mail I need to use IE 'cause Outlook Express won't run in FF. In the eyes of the company, IE is good and FF is bad. [Frown] )

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 21:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More like "I like the Big E -- everyone's going to use the Big E, because that's what everyone else does, right?" Oh, and "Site Foo Bar Baz requires it."

[Smile]

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 21:55      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, don't get me wrong, dman. I despise IE. Firefox is the best browser I've found. (Opera's a close second, IMHO, but it's not very practical for my family.) I just have my hands tied if I want to check work e-mail. [ohwell]

--------------------

jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 22:59      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do I win bonus points for running IE through WINE?
Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
suttsteve
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3448

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 05:22      Profile for suttsteve   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think both browsers have their own merits. It's really just a matter of personal preference.
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 05:43      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
quote:
(I'd say he has a point, but I don't know offhand which came first--IE, Safari, Opera, Netscape, or Browser X.)

A little browser called NCSA Mosiac.
Mosaic. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

*I'm dead tired right now - what's the right way to write that? (Space, hypenated, or otherwise?)

buy-in. [Smile]

And the fact that a company is too narrow-sighted to write any web-based software so that it won't work in any browser other than IE is nothing short of BAD WORK, and I do everything in my power to boycott those companies and not give them my business. Imbeciles.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2005 12:02      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found a site that disagrees with Mosaic being the first. This site says that World Wide Web browser was first with a release date of '89. And that Mosaic was a close second.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture