homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Alephcat amongst the pigeons

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alephcat amongst the pigeons
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 02:39      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is an interesting take on mac useability, but you really can tell that he is mostly a windoze user.
http://www.wrightcomputerconsulting.com/mac.wmv

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 04:37      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG,

That was hysterical.... I was laughing so hard I had to watch it again to get all the bits I missed.

Thanks Alephcat, I need that one...

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 05:03      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, that's very funny [thumbsup] . And I've hardly even used Macs!

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 05:44      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, some of those are the kinds of problems I have when trying to use Windows. [Razz]
Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 05:57      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I don't really take it as a Mac thing, he could've just said computer and it would still have been hilarious...

I think what makes it so funny is that at one time or another we've probably all watched as someone goes into that sort of a spin IRL - Remember the guy (in Texas I think) who shot his PC with a magnum, because he couldn't get it to do what he wanted?

Actually that sort of computing "experience" is exactly what Jef Raskin railed against.

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 08:53      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a fair ammount of his critisims are aplicable to windos [sic] too, I have not really used mac so I can not say how many of them are valid, but it was very funny.

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 09:26      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually none of it was valid criticism (except maybe the bit about once it's deleted that's your lot) but that shouldn't get in the way of a good skit...

Actually that probably makes it funnier, because people I've met who are really like that accuse their hardware/software of the most blatantly impossible things and actually believe it...

And when he dropkicked the iMac I was crying with laughter... real tears...

[Big Grin]

--------------------

littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 15:10      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.WMV? ::shudder::

EDIT: I take it everyone has heard how they stole all the insides?

PS The video isn't working for me. I refuse to install WMP, and Mplayer is only givng me audio. Any suggestions? Mac mini/10.3/ Mplayer 2.0b9

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
i_need_a_pillow
Geek
Member # 2765

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 15:16      Profile for i_need_a_pillow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't had any of the problems he's had, but there are several computers in my school's journalism classroom (a 25-system Mac lab) that I need to drop out of that second-story window.

--------------------
The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Posts: 104 | From: I'm here. Where else? | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 15:39      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by i_need_a_pillow:
I haven't had any of the problems he's had, but there are several computers in my school's journalism classroom (a 25-system Mac lab) that I need to drop out of that second-story window.

that would not work, I know, I have tried it

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 16:12      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*That* was great. And guess what? I watched it on my Mini. In fact, I'm writing this in Firefox on my Mini. [Big Grin] The disk recovery thing always makes me laugh at how stupidly frail HFS+ is. I can recover formatted NTFS hard drives in a few hours - I've never really had reason to do so with ext2, but the same software I use to recover FAT & NTFS can recover ext2. (Yes, a lot can be found with just Knoppix, but I do have great software for recovering the aforementioned formats -- but those systems aren't usually rendered inoperable, unlike Mac OS 9 [and probably X.]) Oh...and the bloody file renaming bit - I don't personally get the 'rename willy nilly through double-clicking' "feature."

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture