homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Breathtaking... (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Breathtaking...
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 17:40      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Just for the record, and as I've stated before, I am not against "necroposting." I actually like to see an old thread rise to the surface again every now and then, if someone has something to add to it.

I don't think anyone is against necroposting, as you say as long as they have something intelligent to say. I think what irritates some folks, including me is that some one revives an old thread with a simple 'lol' I just don't see the point.....nor do I understand why it bothers me [ohwell]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 20:38      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Besides, when was the last time you heard of members of an Internet community getting free garlic sauce! [thumbsup]

Yea. When, hmmmm??? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2005 02:12      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I bit my tongue at the beginning of the thread, but, I feel the need to comment now. (because it's been festering in me head)

I believe my "registered" date puts me as registered after Snups, but I started lurkin' around Feb. of that year.. I remember comparing lurkin dates and coming up similar /shrugs

Anyway, that's not the point. When Twinkle Toes said "maybe things will go back to the way they were once all the old timers have left", I think she was referring to the fact that all the subjects that have already been discussed are more likely to come up again with new membership, and with less old timers saying "talked about it already, go here <insert link>" and then also making it abundantly clear that necro posting is forbidden.

I know, I know, you all like to say "Well, we never said it wasn't allowed, just frowned upon", but, to a newbie it winds up the same when you have the kneejerk reaction of flaming the hell out of them.

As far as Snups having left because of Twinkle Toes? Well, if you ask me that's complete crap. If that's what influenced the decision, then I think there was already more than enough to convince her to leave. It's just pinning the blame somewhere convenient.

Really, most of the "intelligent" discussions that have sprung up recently have been the result of the new peoples around here. From the people that I believe that Snupy and Cap'n refer to as the "old timers" I believe I've seen mostly pointless drivel, pun fests, flame wars, and requests for arse pics. Not that they havn't posted anything intelligent, just, mostly just post puns and the like. I'm also not saying that it's a bad thing to post jokes and have fun. Hell, I enjoy that bit as much as you do...

I'll agree that Twinkle does come off alot as seeming like "My opinion is the only one that matters", but, she's really not. And, she's getting a lot better about that, I think.

I miss alot of the old posters... GM, Uillean, Greycat, miss Sky postin' more, Bregalad, Swiss, Roach, Zorro (he's around, but, dosn't post much... I miss the days of "Ask Zorro"), and the like (sorry, I'm terrible at remembering names, I don't mean to leave people out). Hell, I miss the people who were posting when I was still lurking, like Epona...

I am truly curious what it was that Cap'n posted, but, I understand him not leaving it there out of respect, though, it irritates me at the same time. If it's still your opinion, why not leave it there for us to see? I know it's not to protect yourself... You're not the type to worry about what anyone thinks of your opinion, obviously. Though, obviously you are one to hold a grudge against someone who didn't actually do anything to you. Heh, I didn't even remember that thread existed, untill it was rehashed... It's not fair to hold something so far past against someone, for absolutely no reason. Was it wrong of her to post the closest thing she had to relate to him? So what if it was a hamster not a cat? I happen to know from our past together that that hamster was, indeed is, very special to her.

I find it funny that you keep referring to Snupy as though she was the only good thing about the boards... Twinkle didn't harrass her, or even truly mean to attack her personally... It just came accross that way based on the nature of the commentary... Truthfully, it was just something that's a part of her personality. She likes people to know *precisely* what she thinks of them. Funny that it's considered childish... Perhaps put forward in that manner, it is, but, I don't think honesty should be considered childish, just because it's something you don't want to hear.

/shrugs/

I do believe it is time I stop, as I don't remember what I've already said, and the other things I had planned to say escape me at the moment... My mind fluctuates through varrying states of *too* much, and *too* little...

Oh, yes, before I finish, I must say this: If you make the comment that anything that I've said is related to Twinkle and I's past, or my age, or anything else equally absurd, then I say go to hell ya childish prick. I was a superfan in the past, and still would be if it was financially possible (I can't afford to feed myself sometimes as it is), but it seems to me that some of you think that being a superfan makes you better than the rest of the boards, and some of you seem to think that your age makes you abundantly wiser, and more worthy of being listened to. Seems to me most of the time you discount anything anyone of the younger generation here (I'm talking literal age) says unless it matches your opinion. Then they are "wise beyond their years"... Hypocritical bullshit I say. Wisdom is not, and should not, ever be related to how old someone is. Nor is it consistent The same could be said for intelligence.

That's me two pence for the moment.. I may have more laterz

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2005 04:55      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by neotatsu:
Oh, yes, before I finish, I must say this: If you make the comment that anything that I've said is related to Twinkle and I's past, or my age, or anything else equally absurd, then I say go to hell ya childish prick. I was a superfan in the past, and still would be if it was financially possible (I can't afford to feed myself sometimes as it is), but it seems to me that some of you think that being a superfan makes you better than the rest of the boards, and some of you seem to think that your age makes you abundantly wiser, and more worthy of being listened to. Seems to me most of the time you discount anything anyone of the younger generation here (I'm talking literal age) says unless it matches your opinion. Then they are "wise beyond their years"... Hypocritical bullshit I say. Wisdom is not, and should not, ever be related to how old someone is. Nor is it consistent The same could be said for intelligence.

Wisdom tends to be knowing the right thing to do in a given situation. Couple this with the fact that once you've made a mistake, you're less likely to make the same mistake again, and there's your explanation for the correlation between age and wisdom. Or if you handled the situation a certain way and it worked well, then you repeat the same thing again. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean that if a person is older than another that they are wiser too, but it's quite a likely possibility.

And the truly wise will agree with the above, and take it on board [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2005 05:18      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SupportGoddess:
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
LOL!!! Oh, the memories. [Happytears]

And who can forget "horny people having text sex". [Smile]

I still think it's rude. Especially if you don't bring enough for everyone.
Whatever happened to safe text?

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2005 09:21      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK neo, I know you have some issues so I ain't gonna come out with guns a blazing here.

First off. I said: TT had a hand in snup's leaving AMONG OTHER THINGS.

Secondly, I consider snupy a friend. We corespond from time to time outside GC. Let me define 'friend' for you. Someone to confide in. Now along with that, you would expect that you could trust a friend to not air your dirty laundry publicly like TT did to you a short time back.

Third. The olde tymers are just a bit of nostalgia. Faces from the past. Assuming you have any friends in real life neo, wouldn't you enjoy seeing an old friend? As far as the boards 'going down hill' that is absolute bullshit. And if they are going down hill, why do you still come here?

As far as TT. She made her bed, not just with the 'what I think of everyone' thread or the 'neo is mental' thread but her postings in general. She hasn't made many friend here over the years here. It is to the point that GC members even, pm and email to talk about her and her attitude.The fact that you continue to defend her amazes me.

As far as what I posted that MMKK made a big deal out of, it was along these lines:

quote:
TT don't try to derail this thread and snups pain and to make it all about you (as usual) her cat was older than you blah blah blah You lost a hampster blah blah blah*
*MMKK may want to add some horrifiying details to this, but honestly it wasn't any worse than that.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2005 11:26      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cap'n: No, quite honestly, it was precicely that which irked me. The insistance that TT's pet had less worth and meaning to her than what Snupy felt for her cat... coupled with the accusation that TT was trying to "make this all about her," when it is OBVIOUS that she was simply trying to be empathetic with Snupy.

AGAIN I reiterate, I WAS NOT trying to defame your character. I never said anyhting agianst your character or your worth as a human being. I made a comment about your *actions*. I don't believe that one mistake deserves you to be branded forever as an "irreperable sinner" or a "bad person" and I never intended for my comments to be taken as such.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2005 12:45      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, but a hampster dieing when you are 7 pales in comparison to a cat that snup her entire adult life. If you can't fathom that, I suggest get get on or off the pot....which ever state state you are currently in is out of whack.

TT could have said: sorry about your loss and left it at especially given that snup had only been reposting a short time and the history between the two.

And what if I like being "irreperable sinner" or a "bad person"?

Anywho, should you care to continue this conversation, I invite you to pm me m'kay? I'm sure the rest of the world is growing tired of this, I know I am.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2005 14:01      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're welcoming the snupstress back like this? Way to go guys. Great work. She'll stay for sure now. [thumbsup] [devil wand]

/me smashes the relevant heads to gether and sends them all to a private room to cool off

Get a grip boys. This is the behavior that drives us much-vaunted old-timers away (as if being here for a while really makes us better than a n00b...what kind of idiot thinking is that?? [Roll Eyes] ).

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2005 14:45      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I go away for a few days and everything erupts worse than it was before I left! [Eek!]

What I'm wondering is when everyone here is going to realize that there is no "p" in hamster (except the yellow kind that makes a puddle when you squeeze the "hamster" too much)? [Razz]

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2005 15:10      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is how we spell it in Canada.

Oh, btw it is spelt realise [Razz]

X: We already took this outside thankyouverymuch.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted March 02, 2005 15:19      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
OK neo, I know you have some issues so I ain't gonna come out with guns a blazing here.

First off. I said: TT had a hand in snup's leaving AMONG OTHER THINGS.

Secondly, I consider snupy a friend. We corespond from time to time outside GC. Let me define 'friend' for you. Someone to confide in. Now along with that, you would expect that you could trust a friend to not air your dirty laundry publicly like TT did to you a short time back.

Third. The olde tymers are just a bit of nostalgia. Faces from the past. Assuming you have any friends in real life neo, wouldn't you enjoy seeing an old friend? As far as the boards 'going down hill' that is absolute bullshit. And if they are going down hill, why do you still come here?

As far as TT. She made her bed, not just with the 'what I think of everyone' thread or the 'neo is mental' thread but her postings in general. She hasn't made many friend here over the years here. It is to the point that GC members even, pm and email to talk about her and her attitude.The fact that you continue to defend her amazes me.

As far as what I posted that MMKK made a big deal out of, it was along these lines:

quote:
TT don't try to derail this thread and snups pain and to make it all about you (as usual) her cat was older than you blah blah blah You lost a hampster blah blah blah*
*MMKK may want to add some horrifiying details to this, but honestly it wasn't any worse than that.
Alrighty.. I thought it was made clear in the what you like to call "airing my dirty laundry" thread, that A) I don't care about it, and B) She wouldn't have posted like that if I had a problem with it. The fact that we were in a serious relationship for three years kinda says she knows a bit more about what would bother me than you'd think [Wink] . Hell, she didn't say *anything* that I hadn't already brought up myself, or wouldn't have given the occasion. What the fuck do I care what "dirty laundry" you people know about? Want more? I'm also battling bulemia atm.

Who the fuck but you cares whether or not a cat is comparable to a hamster? When she was 7 years old, it was all she had amongst alot of bad things... So, what you're saying is that a pet has to be around for a long time to be important? Like MMK said, she was doing her best to empathise, and even went out of her bloody way to mention that she *knew* it wasn't the same, for precisely the reasons you mention, but it's the closest thing she has to knowing how Snupy must feel.

My dog, that I had for 15 years, since I was barely 4, died last month.. Are you going to try and tell me that it's not as big a deal, because it was a childhood pet as well? Get over yourself. The only ones who have a problem with TT is you and you're dipshit clique. She's made alot more friends here than you seem to think, you childish arrogant prick.

TT's post was about as much an attempt to make it all about her and derail the thread as *ANYONE* elses that compared the loss of one of their pets, yet you didn't jump down their throats, did you? No, because you dislike TT, not them.

GM, Sky, Uillean, Roach, Rhoni, Me, Zorro.. Some of the ones that I know she was friends with, and I know she talks to, or has talked to all of 'em but Z outside GC (dunno about Z, but he never had a problem with her). TT has many more friends here than I ever hope to... Of course, you seem to think that it even f'in matters what number of friends she has. You're too obsessed with childishly judging her because she's *extremely* forward about her opinion.

Believe me, she does come off as insisting her opinion is more important than anyone or anything else... But, she's not trying to... We had many an argument about it, trust me. And, she's alot different about that now than she used to be.

I still come here, yep.. I surf the recent posts and usually read maybe one or two threads, if they sound remotely interesting... I enjoy the punfests that happen sometimes /shrugs. I never said they were entirely bad. I just think you're an asshole, and tend to avoid posting anything unless I've an actual opinion to add.

As for the "issues" that I have? Don't let them stop you, that pisses me off. Believe me when I say even on a bad day, nothing you say could possibly effect me in anyway except to piss me off with it's arrogance.

I know snups is your friend. That's fine and dandy. But don't go and drag something that happened two years ago into the present, because you're too much of a dickhead to get over yourself and accept that someone can change.

As far as "old friends" go... Well, actually, with my 'problems' my "old friends" either wouldn't want to talk to me, or, I just wouldn't give a crap about talkin' to 'em.

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2005 15:42      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me bursts into the room, circulates a few copies of "How to Win Friends and Influence People", and then disappears again.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2005 16:19      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, enough is enough. Like MMKK, feel free to pm me any further rantings on this topic, you know....for the sake of the rest of the folks.

In the meantime, do you mind if I post your response up on my cube wall?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2005 01:51      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/shrugs

I've no mind whatsover in the matter of whether you put it up on your cube wall, heh

And, I've said my bit. Only reason I'd say more is if I thought my point wasn't understood... Whether or not it's accepted is completely up to you, hehe

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2005 05:15      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would now be a bad time to point out that there's no apostrophe in the possessive form of its? [Wink]

[devil wand] [devil wand] [devil wand] [devil wand]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2005 15:26      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Would now be a bad time to point out that there's no apostrophe in the possessive form of its? [Wink]

[devil wand] [devil wand] [devil wand] [devil wand]

No, but there is in the conjunction of "it is"
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2005 15:38      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you mean "contraction," neo.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture