homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Breathtaking... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Breathtaking...
jordanv
Assimilated
Member # 3189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2005 22:37      Profile for jordanv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What can we discuss intellectually that won't turn into a flamefest?

Politics and religion are out.

Philosophy gets influenced heavily by the aforementioned topics - so it's out.

Discussing new technology too often turns into fanboy fare.

I guess that leaves the weather...

Honestly, I would love to see the intellectual/meaningful/sincere threads.

The quality of posting has diminished (no doubt my own ...lacking posts have contributed).

This thread has made me realise that I perhaps don't take the care and effort to consider my opinions or develop an opinion before I belt out the first thought in my head and click "add reply". The fact that my (sadly ending today) break of four months between School and University has seen a period of drunken revelry with the most intellectually stimulating activity I have undertaken being the writing of my name has certainly not helped.

There also appears to be a distinct lack of people displaying their own creative works. Surely some members here are creatively-inclined and willing to share?

If someone makes a sincere, thoughtful or otherwise interesting thread I promise I will apply wisdom and thought before hitting the "add reply" button.

Posts: 364 | From: a house (in Sydney) | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 27, 2005 23:20      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The boards have simply evolved over time. Now, change isn't always a good thing or a bad thing......it is just: change. Otherwise we could have one big ass thread titled: Mac is kewl. How fun would that be? Not much.

I tend to relate better with most of the olde skule types...you know, those who joined around the same time as me or earlier. But I happen to like quiet a few of the n00bs too. Those of you who I don't like, well, I make it pretty clear [evil] What keeps people coming back is the familiar faces (read: avs) afterall we do share a history, albeit a virtual one. The regulars know what to expect most days and they also know (and occasionally enforce) the accepted culture.

When you hang out around here, you tend to pick up alot of information about other members, share the ups and downs of life, the bad jokes, the pun fest, BBQ sauce and even arse pics if you are lucky. Just like in real life.....you remember real life don't you?

I'm not gonna sit around here day after day discussing inane shit like the fine details of Kirchoff's law but if it comes up in conversation or somebody asks a question I'd be obliged to help 'em out. If you wanna do that, feel free to set up a blog so you can go on and on about how great you are while no one but you reads it.

Most people here do have lives out side of GC and have work, school, family or sheep herding duties consuming vast stretches of there time and pop in here to chill out, share a joke or just read through what people are talking about.

It ain't nuthin' more than that.

Edit:

quote:
By Jordan V
Honestly, I would love to see the intellectual/meaningful/sincere threads.

Dude, you've been here, what a month and they have deteriorated? C'mon. I suggest you read through the archives, because there is all that and more.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2005 23:29      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have "grown up" a bit. Lots of things have happened since my younger days on GC... Not that I'm happy they've all happened, but that's life. I am thankful, however, for having experienced them, because they've definitely broadened my mind and have opened my eyes to new perspectives and interests.

About my hamster: I really do realize it's different, but he does mean a lot to me. It's also partly because I was a kid, and hamsters were the only pet I was ever allowed to have (still are). But two and a half years is a pretty good age for a hamster.

jordanv: Ironically, the most debatable topics (Love, beliefs, technology) were our favourites. I think back then there was more tolerance for or understanding of peoples' opinions and decisions. Hah, not that I was always one of them, but I'm only one person. An interesting thought: perhaps GC will only return to the way it used to be when all of the old-timers have gone?

Hmm... the weather here is alright for nighttime - currently windy and at 50 degrees F. Tomorrow morning is expected to be in the low 40's and sunny.

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 27, 2005 23:47      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jordanv:
What can we discuss intellectually that won't turn into a flamefest?

Politics and religion are out.

Philosophy gets influenced heavily by the aforementioned topics - so it's out.

Discussing new technology too often turns into fanboy fare.

As Vic said, check out the archives. It's surprising how level headed the discussions on those hot button topics, particularly religion, have been on the most part. The exception to the rule has been some of the more recent political threads, but IMO that was more due to issues with the way certain posters were not actually engaging in debate/conversation than the subject matter itself. In other words, even if we had been discussing something as trivial as "toilet seat: up or down", it would prove impossible to have a reasonable discussion if people had gone on about how every ex they had was a complete dimwit, and that's why the toilet seat should always be left up.

So, the potential is there. Why haven't people posted more thought provoking topics? I don't know, it's a fair question. But once things get started, the interactions are usually pretty mature and sensible.

Edit: This is more an observation than a plug, but I would say that the SuperFan Clubhouse lately has had more of the personal sharing/significant sort of threads than the main area. Make of that what you will...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted February 28, 2005 03:08      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
I must say, I'm curious to know if others feel the same about the "balance" of the boards. Is there a lack of serious, meaty threads? Is it the people who are different or absent making the difference? Has it to do with who was around when you first started coming here?

My fellow geeks...

Why must we waste our time debating something that we all know the answer to? It is as clear as day that the boards have now deteriorated to drudge, dreadfulness and... dreckery (is that a word?). And why, you all ask? Why??

I'll tell you why... It's because I, the great and mighty skylar, do not post half as much as I used to.

That is all the answer you need, my children. Now go in peace [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

-sky

P.S. - Vic, I could have set up my own little blog for this kind of thing, but it just doesn't have the same impact, does it? [Wink] [evil]

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 03:53      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm not gonna sit around here day after day discussing inane shit like the fine details of Kirchoff's law but if it comes up in conversation or somebody asks a question I'd be obliged to help 'em out.
Coincidentally enough I'm reading a few papers about proving Kirchoffs law at the moment. (The ratio of emission and adsorption of radiation at a given temperature is a constant for a material) It probably isn't the same one as you are talking about though. That Kirchoff got about.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 05:36      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
even if we had been discussing something as trivial as "toilet seat: up or down"

UP! [Razz]

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 06:12      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been here long enough to comment on the state of the board over the last while -- what I *do* know is this is the only board I consistently come back to because

A) I can remember and recognise the vast majority of the folks here,
B) this is the only board I've been on where religion, politics, and philosophy can be discussed without giant flamewars, and,
C) the people here don't get on your case over stupid things (a lot of boards will eat you alive if you start a new thread to introduce yourself)

I don't know a lot of the old people from the board, but what I do know are those I see posting now. dman, rhonwynn (probably spelled wrong), the cap'n, skylar, macd, mmkk, peebs, jordanv, halfvast, swiss, moman, garlicguy, stereo, serenak, etc... and frankly, I think this is a great board. I don't care how things used to be, could be, or might have been.. I think they're just fine as they are.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 06:33      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also am too new to remember "the old days", but I enjoy this board.

I'm really too young to know for sure, but from my understanding of "history" and reading old Usenet stuff, there's more flaming now on the web, simply because there's less of a barrier to access, less of a common ground. That whole "September that never ended" thing. Not that ISPs are a bad thing; but they did have *some* negative effects on the climate, perhaps. It's much easier to find a board, troll/flame, disappear, and find another board to do the same on.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 06:39      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting that several of us talk about the old threads-why, then, is "necroposting" banned/?? I seem to remember it being a very negative thing, and included in "the rules' for noobies.
Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 06:54      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
Interesting that several of us talk about the old threads-why, then, is "necroposting" banned/?? I seem to remember it being a very negative thing, and included in "the rules' for noobies.

Good question snup. I'm guessing it's because while necroposting is a fine thing in theory, the actual instances where it's been done here haven't really added anything much worthwhile to the discussion. I don't think it's banned so much as frowned upon, anyway, sort of like being lax with spelling or grammar, or writing l33t. Of course, I'm sure there are exceptions (like the one necropost I can remember doing, for example [Wink] )

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 07:28      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I can tell from what I've seen in the time I've been here necroposting isn't really considered all that bad, it's just when a newbie rushes in and posts fairly meaningless comments on the end of every thread in sight that we seem to get our backs up.

I think the reason many of us hang around here is basically what DNM said, although I think he meant without giant flamewars [Smile]

People come and people go, but there always seem to be enough "regulars" to generate that sense of stability and continuity that make the board feel like home to so many of us... I think I likened it to a favourite bar or coffeehouse before and I think that is actually a pretty good analogy

So, cheers....

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 08:40      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
P.S. - Vic, I could have set up my own little blog for this kind of thing, but it just doesn't have the same impact, does it? [Wink] [evil]

I would read your blog skylie [hearts]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 08:51      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch! I think I bumped my head on the doorway getting in here this morning.

What's all this talk about old and new and reminiscing? Heck, I don't remember what I had for breakfast.

Old sayings - where do these come from?

"Life is change and change is life." and "Some things never change, some things change very little." or "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

The reflections of several in this thread are timeless, these are things humans have pondered in every imaginable setting. Probably good to do so every now and then, IMHO.

Speaking of memory loss, who the hell *are* all you nice people anyway? [Wink]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 09:53      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, indeed, there used to be a great number more "intellectual" threads around here. I remember when I first joined, there were quite a number of threads that had topics that I didn't even understand (at least from a scientific standpoint).

It also used to feel much more homey around here. Theres been a lot of bad vibes going around, and it's been getting worse. I don't know if it's the effect of the intellectualness dissipating, and the "old-timers" struggling to keep the "old way" around, or if, perhaps, it's the cause of the reduction of intellectuallism. In a situation where people fight and bicker and argue and spread negativity, open, honest, clear, and concise communication often falters, fades into oblivion, as no one feels comfortable opening up to be themselves or share their feelings.

A prime example of this negativity is Cap'n Vic's jumping on Twinkle Toes. I got to read his comments before he deleted them, and I was, quite frankly, appaled. Cap'n: to err is human, to forgive devine. TT made some mistakes in the past, but she has admitted to them and deserves to be forgiven her transgressions. Let it go!

Also of note to me was the communication going down in IRC a few nights ago. Those of you who were there will know what I am talking about. A certain someone (who will remain nameless for their own protection), irked off a few of the SuperFans. They were being blamed for being hypocritical, and were being attacked left and right. Was this person being hypocritical? Yes, a bit; but NO ONE desirves to be gossiped about or made fun of as they were. Common, childish insults were being flug around (to the tune of: "stupid" and "fat"), and I felt almost as if I were surrounded by Kendergardeners on the playground, talking trash about the "outcast." Or perhaps it was more akin to the stereotypical "popular" group of girls in High School, making fun of, and talking trash about the (stereotypical) geeky, overweight girl with low self-esteem. I was in the midst of gossip, and petty namecalling, and I almost couldn't believe what I read with my own eyes.

Not to say that I am perfect. Not to say that I have never made mistakes or never acted petty or childish. I most certainly have, and I most certainly will again in the future. That is the human condition. But, we must recognize that it is this negativity, this negative energy, this pettiness that is slowly reducing the collective intelligence of our beloved forums.

All living things die. This community, although linked by non-living machines, is comprised of living, real people. A community made up of living organisims becomes, in essence, a larger living organism. We are all parts of this organism, each of us contributes. However, all living things die, and our beloved forums are no different.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 11:38      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twinkle Toes:
An interesting thought: perhaps GC will only return to the way it used to be when all of the old-timers have gone?

I hope you are being fascitious, because I believe the reason it's getting farther away from the way it was years ago is because of the old-timers leaving. That, and the incredible numbers of new people who come on here and have absolutely nothing to say.

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 12:05      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMKK. A couple of things.

First. There are still many interesting threads floating through here. There are also threads of many different types, the fact that we have pretty much hashed out things like religion, same sex marriage, abortion, Iraq and WMDs etc doesn't leave many serious topics to discuss. If newbies care to discuss them in an intellligent manner fine, the rest of us can join in or refer them to old threads.

Now, as far as my comments about TT. You were appalled? Give me a break. Get of your high fscking horse, what I said wasn't that bad compare to what I was thinking. The fact I deleted them (and made note of in the post thankyouverymuch) was out of respect for snupy (and her following comment). Not for TT or anyone else. But the bottom line is TT did have a lot to do with snupy leaving along with stuff going on in her personal life. TT did (I think) apologize to snup but that does not mean I have to forgive her for helping drive one of GCs finest away.

quote:
By MMKK Cap'n: to err is human, to forgive devine. TT made some mistakes in the past, but she has admitted to them and deserves to be forgiven her transgressions. Let it go!

Maybe you should take your own advice here. I made the post, and deleted it (I never pretended it didn't happen, in fact I made the notation: Edited/deleted: Due to poor judgement ) after snupys comment and you try to stir the pot about how appalled you were. Cry me a river.

Pot, kettle.

If it would make you feel any better, I could repost my comments so the whole world could see what a bad boy I was [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 12:48      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm, yes. Every now and again when someone posts a link to a past thread I find myself reading vintage GC - from peeps like Cheez, Snup, Jess, Zorro, and the like (you know who you are [Wink] ). Some of it was the purist gold. Ahhh... but what can you do? To overly rue such things would also be to dismiss a lot of the grade A folks we have now. Such is life. One can't dictate evolution - even if we wanted to. If you desire this place to be a certain thing, you just have to contribute in a manner consistent with your aims - no individual can do more than that. I've been around the interweb a few times - and it mostly sucks, mostly.

I still think that a group hug is overdue. [Smile]

edit: besides, quite often in the past when folks were trying to have fun here, someone would come along armed with righteous indignation and accuse others of spamming the place with - what was that phrase? Oh, yeah - "cutesie little double-entendres" - that was it. So you can't win. (Sometimes you shouldn't even try!) The bottom line is that not everyone's idea of making the most of GC is the same - we had just as many clashes of personality and general inhomogeneity three years ago as we do now.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 13:57      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, Cap'n, that you took my comment the wrong way. I was not trying to attack you personally. I wanted to use an example to exemplify my point and your comment happened to be the most readilly available. Moreover, I was thinking earlier about what I said, and realized that I made no mention of your deleting it, which was a commendable act.

I hold no grudges against you, Cap'n. I don't think of you as a "bad person" or a troll, nor did I ever elude to the idea that your contributions to this board are null.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 14:27      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
would come along armed with righteous indignation and accuse others of spamming the place with - what was that phrase? Oh, yeah - "cutesie little double-entendres" - that was it.

LOL!!! Oh, the memories. [Happytears]

And who can forget "horny people having text sex". [Smile]

But, I disagree about the bickering-it seems far worse now.

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 14:31      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fact I deleted them (and made note of in the post thankyouverymuch) was out of respect for snupy (and her following comment)

Thanks, Cap'n. I just don't want to be the cause of any bickering or hard feelings, even if I did have a major problem with TT and her "lookatmelookatmelookatme" and "My opinion is the only one that matters and yours is stupid" attitude.

Like I said, it seems she has grown up a bit.

SupportGoddess

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 822

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 14:39      Profile for SupportGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I still think it's rude. Especially if you don't bring enough for everyone.

--------------------
"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
-Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Posts: 1148 | From: The Digital Temple | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 15:37      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
would come along armed with righteous indignation and accuse others of spamming the place with - what was that phrase? Oh, yeah - "cutesie little double-entendres" - that was it.

But, I disagree about the bickering-it seems far worse now.

What do you mean forget? I'm still having text sex.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 17:15      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
>>was reading the SuperFan list and IIRC, your name was on their as one who's been slightly AWOL.

huh??

Ehh, change that to retired. The SuperFan roster lists you as retired and "living out a non-Super existence." I misread that as not being around for awhile (which is true; I've missed your input).

I hope you're back to stay! [Smile]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted February 28, 2005 17:22      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just for the record, and as I've stated before, I am not against "necroposting." I actually like to see an old thread rise to the surface again every now and then, if someone has something to add to it.

Yep, the great snupy/cheezi/ jessycat exodus hurt the community, and we miss you like heck, but Forum life goes on, and evolves like real life.

I personally think the board is undergoing a new Renaissance. We have some *amazing* new members of all ages, and the SuperFan Forums are really coming to life too.

Besides, when was the last time you heard of members of an Internet community getting free garlic sauce! [thumbsup]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture