homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » By Jove, I think I've got it! (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: By Jove, I think I've got it!
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2005 22:04      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Garlic is good. Though I've needed more gum lately. And air freshener after my son uses the bathroom. [Eek!]
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2005 22:15      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
*Shuffling* already? But you're only in your early 40s...

Early 40s? You might want to recalculate that, unless it was a typo.

Edit: The irony is that I added the "last word bit" by editing my post (like I've just done to this one) after seeing Rhonwyyn's reply.
Edit of Edit: Besides, my birthday including year is in my profile here, so my real age is pretty easy to calculate.
Edit of Edit of Edit: So, this is what sibling fighting is like (/me = only child).

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2005 22:16      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops, my bad. I meant early 50s. [Razz]

(I do remember your real age but I wasn't about to announce it here. Besides, I needed somehow to return your dig about getting in the last word. :hmph: )

EDIT: Yay!! In about 30 minutes I'll be tasting leftover ribs. I hoped they turned out well! :slightly worried:

EDIT of EDIT: Before anyone implies anything, csk and I are fighting like siblings, nothing else! [Roll Eyes]

EDIT of EDIT of EDIT: Yes, I have three siblings and the youngest two fight like cats and dogs. Hmmm... is that allowed? Using one simile to describe another simile that's describing an event? :ponders:

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 00:18      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I've had a chance to try it out.

Firstly, the aroma upon opening the jar was divine. Hmmmmmmm.......

We had garlic veal, the Garlic Head was just brushed undiluted over the veal about 1/2 an hour before it was grilled, and the result was very nice. I was pleasantly surprised to find it wasn't overly sweet, (as many American sauces are to aussie tastebuds) and nicely garlicy, without being overwhelming. (*)

I hope to try some more with prawns this weekend, hmmmmmm, garlic prawns, drooooooollllllll......

(*) not that there's anything wrong with overwhelmingly strong garlic, remember - too much garlic is never enough

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 04:25      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK,

So now the ball is rolling and I won't feel like I'm either hogging the thread or tormenting you while you wait...

GG sent me a jar a little while back as a sort of thank you for a couple of bits of Mac help I gave him. It arrived nicely packed in a little white corrugated card box with a bit of bubble wrap to stop bashing damage (though the poly jar seems pretty bash proof to me)

Opened it immediately and took a good lungful and was pleased that it smelled as garliky as GG had promised. Did the finger dip test and found the taste suprisingly sweet but not sickly and free of the annoying sharpness many BBQ sauces have. Loads of raw garlic flavour - too much to use it as a dipping sauce in my opinion but YMMV...

So far I have used it thus:

Made "barbecue" stirfry veggies to go with a big "Full English" breakfast. Onions, mushrooms, sweet peppers, mangetout, celery, chopped white cabbage, hell chuck in anything you fancy... stir fry in a big pan, add a dash of Worcestershire sauce, and a dash of soy, 5 spice powder if you like too - I also put in a few drops of "Liquid Smoke" finally slapped in one tablespoon of Garlic Head per adult serving and kept it on the heat for a few minutes to let the garlic in the sauce cook, keep stirring to get the veggies nicely coated in the sauce... It was lovely and enjoyed by all.

Added a spoonful to a "Chinese" style turkey chow mein affair I was bashing up as a kind of "flavour booster" worked very nicely

Last night did the basic slather a big pork chop in the stuff and grill under a high heat, turn the chop halfway through cooking and slap more Garlic Head on the other side. Produced a nice chop into which the garlic flavour had infused nicely leaving the sweeter elements on the surface. (In some ways similar to a trick I have used for years grill chop on one side, turn and slap on a layer of English mustard and then sprinkle with brown sugar and put back under grill.) The sauce is good and BBQ like without the sharpness or overbearing taste of tomatoes that spoils far too many commercial sauces...

No side effects I've noticed but i use tons of garlic anyway...

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 05:48      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
I really like garlic. But MAH SPOON IS TOO BIG!

I've been sitting here trying to think of a tactful way to put "my anus is bleeding" in here for a fun reference, but alas, I have failed miserably.

And yea, a newfie in Ottawa is a tad alarming, isn't it? Most of them end up in Toronto. [Big Grin]

Q: "What do you call a cape bretoner?"
A: "A newfie who ran out of money on his way to Toronto."

If Cap'n Vic gets his before I get mine, Imma personally drive to the postal outlet and kick some ass!

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 24, 2005 10:00      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After my mom's comment last evening as I left for work (You might have used too much vinegar; it's kind of sour), I was nervous about the pork ribs that I had marinated in sauce and red wine vinegar. However, when I came home from work last night, all that remained in the fridge was about six ribs from a slab almost three feet long. So I think they liked them. Probably coating the ribs in sauce and then baking/broiling them helped.

For my dinner today, I'm going to pull the remaining meat off the bones, mix it with some sauce, then microwave until hot. It'll make a yummy sandwich. [Smile]

Since I have about half a jar left, I'm going to make barbecue baked chicken next week. It's winter here (snowing right now), but even if that weren't the case, our grill needs help (i.e., hasn't been used in maybe two years? [Frown] ) or I'd grill the chicken. Ooooohhh, shouldn't have mentioned that. Now I really want to grill it. Maybe I could hop the fence and "borrow" my neighbor's working grill? [Eek!] [Wink]

--------------------

macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 24, 2005 22:05      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
W00T!!!! It's here, i gots it... going to make chicken tomorrow.... [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 04:56      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by macmcseboy:
W00T!!!! It's here, i gots it... going to make chicken tomorrow.... [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

*sob*

Still nothing at my place. Maybe today. [Big Grin]

*EDIT* BOO YA GRANDMA! Just got an SMS from my girlfriend. The barbeque sauce has arrived! It is sitting in my front hallway as we speak! I'm definitely gonna be cookin' up that baby this weekend -- I might even get crazy and break out the barbeque. [Big Grin]

Can't wait.

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 10:14      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BABY KILLER! CANNIBAL!
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 25, 2005 11:12      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AAAAAIIIYYYYEEEEEE!!!!

{That's Cajun for "Boy that's some good stuff!!"}

Garlicguy I take my hat off to you sir. Because of the iffy weather tomorrow, I decided last night to get some shrimp, loin steaks, chicken breast, and aundouille and bratwurst sausage. I also had to follow my contingency plan and broil since I did not have time to properly clean my BBQ before cooking.

I marinated the chicken and steaks overnight. I know that's a little longer than you suggested, but the results were fantastic. While cooking I turned the meat every now and again and just coated the meat with the marinade. The chicken and steak are juicy, the flavor of the sauce is sweet and the meat tastes just like it should. The garlic just adds flavor to the meat without overpowering or taking away from it.

The sausages and shrimp I did not marinate, I just coated with the straight sauce. I love the consistency of the sauce, easily spooned out and spread. Finally a BBQ sauce that is thick enough to stick to meat and doesn't run off. My shrimp and sausge were fantastic as far as I'm concerned. My wife, also a big garlic fan, says I must have put to much sauce on the shrimp. She liked the sauce on everything else though. Finally, I had just enough sauce left to put 2 tablespoons into 2 cans of Bush's baked beans. That's all you need to add, the flavor of the sauce spread through the beans and really made the dish.

The only thing I regret is that I didn't have enough sauce left to try mixing it with salsa. From the taste and consistency of it, I suspect it would be excellent.

I give 5 out of 5 stars for this sauce, and have already shared my experience with four people and recommended your sauce to them. Keep up the good work.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 12:11      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
BABY KILLER! CANNIBAL!

Tastes like chicken. [Wink]

oh.. wait. I did mean chicken.
[crazy]

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 13:12      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got me sauce today [thumbsup]

Mrs Vic is home tonite, and tomorrow I have a big fat roast I am gonna do up in the slow cooker.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 14:09      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
I got me sauce today [thumbsup]

Mrs Vic is home tonite, and tomorrow I have a big fat roast I am gonna do up in the slow cooker.

Yeay! The dog sled's gotten through with the mail and the nurses are arriving by helicopter! Yeah!!
Now we'll hope that all can stay safe and happy at home. [Wink]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2005 14:54      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've got our dinner planned for tomorrow. Chicken on the bar-b with some rice (cooked with beef broth instead of water -- yum) and corn.

I pulled the seal off the sauce and took a whiff.. smelled AWESOME. Gf took a whiff and she was like, "wow.. that smells great."

I tasted a bit. As others have said, the sweetness takes some getting used to.. it's not what you'd normally expect.

And it leaves an aftertaste in your mouth that's actually tasty!

But unfortunately, it's not something I'd eat by the spoonful. [Razz]

Tomorrow I'll give my review of it after I have it on my chicken .. nice and carmelised on by the barbeque. I don't care what the weather's like.. well.. as long as it's not hailing or anything. [Big Grin]

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 28, 2005 20:53      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, my jar arrived this morning. And now, a story in pictures...

The box it arrived in was well sealed, like so.  -

After opening the box, I could see that the jar was well padded within it.

-

Yep, plenty of bubble wrap. I love that stuff...

-

And finally, a better look at the jar itself

-

The sauce smelt absolutely beautiful, I'll post an update once I've tried it in something.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2005 07:53      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine arrived this last weekend - well packed and a beautiful jar - but alas it is unopened. In-laws and lots of running around meant that it didn't get used this weekend and now play practice means we probably won't sit down for a proper meal until this coming weekend. <sigh> So close - but yet so far.
Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2005 11:03      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My family's not really into trying new things, but the barbecue I made this past weekend did get eaten without any complaints, so I assume that's a good sign. FWIW, I really liked it, but then, I might be biased. My recipe:

Fry a pound or so of hamburger/ground beef. Drain the fat. Return the meat to the pan and add a generous amount of ketchup, about two tablespoons of mustard, a tablespoon of vinegar, about two tablespoons of brown sugar, and three dollops of Garlic Head sauce. Mix everything together and heat through. Add ketchup to bring to a consistency of your choosing. Taste. If it's too sweet, add a bit of vinegar. If it's too mustardy, add more ketchup. If it's too sour, add more sugar or Garlic Head sauce. Serve on hamburger rolls/buns. This is really good as leftovers the next day after the Garlic Head sauce has had time to permeate the meat mixture.

While making hamburger stew last night, I added a tablespoon of Garlic Head sauce while the meat was browning. It adds a mild flavor to the meat that's quite tasty. I used less chopped onion and didn't add garlic like I usually would have.

Thanks for the sauce, Garlic Guy. I'm really enjoying it. [Smile]

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2005 12:10      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I have had my jar for a few days now. Things have been very busy so I was unable to post what I have done with it.

First off the garlic guy is cool [thumbsup] though Snaggy has a point about putting a sticker on the lid so it can be recognized in the fridge.

And the flavor is fantastic. I was munching on it for the last couple of days. Just dipping my finger in it and having quick tastes here and there. Mmm mmm mmm.

I have used as a stand alone sauce and as an ingredient in a teryaki sauce I make. Sorry I don't have a recipe. It is just add soy sauce, rice vinegar, and what ever else is handy in a bowl and mix.

I also took it to work yesterday and passed it around to the guys here. One used it on the shark he brought for lunch.

That is some mighty fine sauce. I wonder how it would go with ice cream... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Swiss Mercenary

Member # 330

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 01, 2005 12:24      Profile for Swiss Mercenary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine arrived today, howdy-hoo!

Going to wait until tomorrow to try it as I was not up to doing any cooking today, I feel lousy. Actually I want to have my taste buds and smell back before using the sauce.

What I plan to do is mix it with raw minced beef, a few other spices (cayenne pepper, aromat), some chopped onions and a raw egg. Then it is fry it up in a pan until nicely seared, turn down and let cook slowly.
Serve with mixed vegetables and your choice of rice or pasta.

Yum!

--------------------
Evil AI at work.
I am Swiss of Borg. Holes are irrelevant, cheese will be assimilated!

Posts: 2275 | From: All the way from the land of Chocolate, Cheese and Cuckoo Clocks. | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture