homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » By Jove, I think I've got it! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: By Jove, I think I've got it!
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 15:07      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In fact, I know I do. Its cheery, grinning face is residing on my desk at work right now.

For all of you on IRC this afternoon, you know my very own jar of Garlic Head sauce arrived at 4:14 pm EST on Friday, 19 February 2005. The mailman drove his truck half-way up the street to my house and rang the doorbell to give me that tremendously huge box K&L sent it in. At first I thought there may have been a mistake and dman was giving me one of his extra Cubes. [Razz]

I haven't opened the sauce yet, but I can smell it through the plastic safety seal. It smells yummy!! I brought it to work to show a friend of mine that yes, people on the Internet are real...or just go to great lengths to poison people. [Big Grin]

I need to buy meat, then I'll post how cooking with it tasted. [Smile]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 15:14      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you like garlic, you'll find it's good on a finger! [Big Grin]

FYI: I handle the shipping of products for the western part of the North American continent, but have the eastern part handled by a company in Ohio. So I have never *seen* one of the "huge" boxes that they use, nor the packaging material, etc.

Perhaps you would be so good as to include that description in a later post. I am looking to improve wherever we can on the logistics of product delivery.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 15:31      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... I could make a joke about sauce and fingers, but I won't. It'd be in bad taste. Hahaha (pun not entirely intended!)

Packaging: I wish I had a digicam 'cause I could just show you pics. Imagine a box about 1 foot cubed. It's filled with brown butcher paper. At the bottom is a jar wrapped in a layer of bubble wrap.

I half-expected it to be in a smaller box (maybe you'd have to special order them, though) and filled with bio-degradable packing peanuts. A thin manual with some recipes or suggested uses might be a nice touch... or maybe you reserve that for paying customers? lol [Wink]

--------------------

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 15:56      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
By Rhonnie
I haven't opened the sauce yet, but I can smell it through the plastic safety seal. It smells yummy!! I brought it to work to show a friend of mine that yes, people on the Internet are real...

I nearly pissed meself with laughter when I read that. Too Funny.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 16:13      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I've been out of touch most of this week...

Is there still some sauce left? I'm vegetarian for reasons of taste buds, not morals, and it sound like I won't notice the anchovy, and I really like garlic.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 16:17      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cap'n: Check your PMs.

Xanthine: Send GG a PM with your name, mailing address, and e-mail address. You just have to post your reactions to the sauce. It's one of the responsibilities of partaking in an unofficial/unscientific survey. [Smile]

--------------------

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 16:46      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW mine arrived in a white corrugated cardboard box about 1 inch bigger than the jar and the jar inside was well wrapped in that lovely popping stress sheet stuff (Red Dwarf Ref:)

Nice....

[thumbsup]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 17:44      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The packaging that I use is that which Serenak described. (I mailed his from Montana.) And yes, the boxes are ordered that size to allow the packing material and not much more. I guess I'll need to contact the contractor in Ohio to find out what's up with their packing/handling since none of what Rhonwyym has described fits the bill.

Xanthine, please see the beginning of the thread titled, "The best things in life are free, free, free..." It was started on Feb. 14th and is in the forum Your News, I believe. That was while you were heading or at home to be with your sis. Special offer to you and your family, Xanth: Since I find this a comfort food and it seems you could all use some comfort, send me the home address and I'll send 'em a 4 pack, no charge, if they would use it. Give me your address at school for a free jar there. Use the PM here first and I'll give you a direct email address back when I confirm it.

'kay? [Wink]

--------------------

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 17:47      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, garlic was worn around the necks of people in Olden Days to ward off vapours, spirits, and all sorts of other real and imagined malaises. In Modern Days, garlic's actually good for you for the (scientifically-proven) same things. [Smile]

You rock, GG!!!

--------------------

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2005 21:33      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got some turkey breast cutlets marinating in the fridge in the sauce thinned out with some leftover pinot noir. I hope that is acceptable. Josh thought the sauce seemed a bit too strong for him, so I'm going to cook half of the cutlets with just the marinade and the other half with extra sauce brushed on top and see how it goes. [thumbsup] I'll post the review of recipe #1 tomorrow.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2005 13:51      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sauce arrived today! It came from Ohio, packed in a fairly small (5x6x8) cardboard box, nestled in brown packing paper. I wanted my mom to smell it before I took it in, so I tried to get the seal off...ended up sticking my finger through it and into the sauce a little! Anyway, it's nice and garlicky and has a wonderful flavor, I can't wait until I figure out what I want to use it for (hopefully supper tomorrow night)!

Garlic Bob is so adorable! I would love to have him on a shirt or apron. [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2005 14:18      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info, Ladies.

BW, Bob does look great on a black apron. The items at CafePress.com are all light colors. The items on our website are black and done locally, but I don't have a picture of the apron on the site.

--------------------

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2005 20:37      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I've tried the sauce on my turkey. I'm used to barbeque sauces being saltier, and it took me a while to get used to the very sweet flavor of Garlic Head. Once I got used to it, I liked it a lot. Even Josh, who thought it was too strong straight out of the bottle, really liked it on the turkey. [thumbsup]

The only concern I have is that the sauce doesn't seem to be quite homogenous. There were small lumps that appeared when I brushed the sauce on the cutlets and when I thinned it out. Perhaps those are chunks of garlic? Now that I have a better idea what to expect, next week I think I'll try it on some grilled prawns.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 19, 2005 21:59      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sauce should be entirely homogeneous, but yes, there are some little chunks of garlic and onion floating around... quite intentionally.

Peebs, thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it all. I don't believe anyone else's sauce is as thick, nor as flavorful. You tell me. But what happened with Josh, that's fairly common. Even folks that say they don't like garlic have become fans - including our 17 year old foster son who flatly announced he wouldn't ever try it 'cause he hated garlic. Now he uses the sauce on everything that we'll allow him to, including bologna sandwiches.

--------------------

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2005 09:06      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So then, N9IWP:

How was that chicken?

--------------------

N9IWP
Geek
Member # 1229

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2005 12:43      Profile for N9IWP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like the consistancy - made it easy to spread on the chicken with a knife. Also the sauce stays on (regular sauce can "slide off" while cooking.)

I applied the sauce to both sides of 2 chicken thighs and placed them in the fridge for ~ 2hours.
I then baked them. They turned out good, tho I think I should have turned on the broiler for a few minutes at the end (to carmelize the sauce)

Brian

Posts: 181 | From: Southeast MN | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted February 22, 2005 10:55      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got my jar in today around 11:30 this morning. This one must have shipped out of Ohio, the packing is like Rhonwyyn's. Despite it being well sealed, I still detect the sweet aroma. I will definately be grilling some shrimp, steaks and chicken this weekend. GarlicGuy, Do you suggest I thin the sauce for my marinade, or should I just leave it thick?

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2005 16:38      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CrawGator:

To make an effective marinade, the sauce needs to be thinned just a little bit with a red wine vinegar or red wine. Make just enough marinade to cover the bottom of a shallow dish (glass pie plates work great for this).

Personally I would marinate the steak for about 2 hours, chicken 2 to 6 hours. (Uncovered in the refrigerator.) I do not marinate prawns or shrimp, but put a thin coating of the full strength sauce directly on them when they go on the grill. You can use the unthinned sauce as a dipping sauce as well.

Try it several ways and let us know what works for you.

Thanks. Hope you enjoy it!

--------------------

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2005 17:34      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the advice GG, I will be picking up my red wine vinegar with my meats on Friday, and grilling on Saturday.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2005 22:30      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alrighty then!

According to the USPS, (the world's undisputed leading source of factual, actual and truthful information), the following folks have had a package of Garlic Head BBQ Sauce delivered to their mailboxes and merely need to retreive it from there:
On Saturday, Feb. 19th - quantumfluff @ 11.17 a.m.
On Tuesday, Feb. 22nd - Xanthine and fam; CommanderShroom; -ct-.

Next-
No news on Canadian deliveries, but I expect from locations and shipping dates that dnm and N&S would have their's first followed very shortly by Cap'n Vic and Macmcseboy.

neotatsu should receive his tomorrow; sosumi, MacManKrisK, and Too Cool To Quit should all have packages by Friday, Doco by Saturday.

I'm hoping Druid will have his by Saturday, but since I never know what day it really is in that part of the world, that would be anybody's guess.

Finally, Swiss Mercenary's and csk's packages are locked in a transoceanic dead heat. They are somewhere, but nobody's talking.

--------------------

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2005 23:34      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that inspired me to actually go and check my mail. Lo and behold, my package was waiting...

Man, if I'd checked before making dinner I'd have feedback too. :/

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2005 23:43      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It arrived today (Wednesday) in good condition, delivered to my doorstep, no stuffing around going to the post office to fill in forms like I've sometimes had to do in the past. No taxes to pay.

My mouth's watering already, so I'll try it out ASAP and post a review.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2005 05:35      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine came in yesterday. I was still at work (night class) and had her open it while I was on the phone. She said you could smell the garlic when you opened the box. btw It was a small brown box.

I did talk her into taking a taste. Well the conversation after that point guarantees the whole jar is mine. [evil]

I got home and took a taste. Nice [thumbsup] . Can't wait to put it on something. I have some chicken breast in the fridge. Or maybe porkchops, or eggs, or cereal, or....

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted February 23, 2005 10:39      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine came in last week and I've been consuming it by the spoonful!! MMMmmMM!

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 23, 2005 14:51      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I diluted half of my jar with half a bottle of Rienzi red wine vinegar and marinated about four pounds of pork ribs in it last night after work. Nine hours later I put it all in the Crock-Pot on high. Three hours later they were pretty much cooked through, but I told Mom to put the ribs in the oven after covering them with undiluted sauce for about 30 minutes, or put them under the broiler. I tasted a small piece on my way out the door to work and decided that I probably used too much vinegar, but the sweet/garlic flavor did stick around in my mouth longer than the vinegar.

I'm curious to see what my family thinks of them. I've never made ribs before, so maybe that's part of my problem? [ohwell] I really like the flavor of the sauce. It smells like garlic but it doesn't taste overwhelmingly of it. Plus, it's surprisingly sweet.

I'm looking forward to leftovers tonight when I get home from work. [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture