homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Did you catch this load of crap? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Did you catch this load of crap?
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 2 posted December 19, 2004 21:02      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just so fscking sad.

-

Hi, my name is George and I am the most ruthless terrorist in the world today.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2004 21:08      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They just want the most influential person of the year, not the "best" person. I'd probably agree that he had the biggest impact. Even Hitler won Time Magazines "Man of the Year".

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2004 21:55      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's in good company
 -  -  -  -  -

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2004 00:25            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it was inevitable, I suppose, although part of me would have liked to have seen Glenn Reynolds or Charles Johnson as PotY.

Pretty much every "big" news story during 2004 had Bush involved in some fashion, except for sordid affairs like Scott Peterson, Martha Stewart, and Kobe Bryant. That alone merits a PotY award.

They did, however, designate Powerline as "Blog of the Year." Again, I might have substituted Instapundit or LGF, but Powerline was the blog that spearheaded the debunking of the forged memos used by Dan Rather and CBS, which marked a major shot across the bow for the blogosphere over the mainstream media.

IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2004 06:26      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As has been said before, and is absolutely true, person of the year isn't necessarily a good thing.

Remember that.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted December 20, 2004 07:56      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
He's in good company

Wow, if those are the type of people who make it to 'People of the Year', I would hate to see Despot of the Year. [Mad] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
bull3t
Assimilated
Member # 852

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2004 10:46      Profile for bull3t     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Just so fscking sad.

-

Hi, my name is George and I am the most ruthless terrorist in the world today.

haha. i don't even have to add anything [Big Grin]

--------------------
GC's Mosthated.
"I don’t care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it."
-William S Burroughs

Posts: 435 | From: Ogden, UT | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2004 11:52      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know who votes for/selects their man of the year?
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2004 12:46      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the editorial staff.

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
iGottaMac
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3151

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2004 12:52      Profile for iGottaMac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MTB Babe:
quote:
He's in good company

Wow, if those are the type of people who make it to 'People of the Year', I would hate to see Despot of the Year. [Mad] [Roll Eyes]
Probably Tony Blair... well, I hope it would be him anyway! He is rubbish at running my country and would deserve this!

--------------------
Visit Small Apple and help support a growing Mac community!

Posts: 15 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Groggle
Mini Geek
Member # 2360

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted December 20, 2004 12:58      Profile for Groggle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Time did their "PoTY" selection based on impact that the person has had on the world - not necessarily any qualitative judgement of that impact.

In that perspective, you do have to admit that few have had as much impact on the world as GWB. Whether the changes are "good" or "bad" is perhaps another conversation altogether...

Posts: 77 | From: Calgary | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
mrunderhill
Newbie Larva
Member # 3159

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2004 14:49      Profile for mrunderhill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW this guy doesn't seem to have many friends. How on earth did he get re-elected.

--------------------
The future is here. It's just not evenly distributed yet. - William Gibson
Jon Wright

HaloNine
Geek Larva
Member # 3138

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2004 15:49      Profile for HaloNine         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ewww. Either way. He just looks wrong on that cover.
Posts: 27 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
fishd
Mini Geek
Member # 2416

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2004 00:51      Profile for fishd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iGottaMac:
Probably Tony Blair... *snip* He is rubbish at running my country and would deserve this!

*Tugs forlock*
Arf'noon yur majesty! [Wink]

--------------------
--
Yeah, what he said... but funnier.

Posts: 59 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2004 06:45      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mrunderhill:
WOW this guy doesn't seem to have many friends. How on earth did he get re-elected.

America is chock full of people who consider themselves "Christians". By this, they mean that they oppose abortions and homosexuality. Bush promises (or implies) that he will stock the Supreme Court with anti-Choice candidates. He backed a Constitutional Amendment to deny marriage rights to gay couples. And the Republicans sponsored a series of State Constitutional Amendments that would ban gay marriages and/or civil unions at the State levels, where such bans can actually be enforced. The "Christians" came out in droves to vote against the gays, and while they were at the polls, they voted against Kerry too.

P.S.: Every single State Constitutional Amendment banning gay marriages passed. Ohio's also bans civil unions; I'm not sure about the others.

Oh, and there was that whole airplanes-flying-into-the-building thing, too. There are a lot of Americans who just love to see us blowing up other countries (even ones that had nothing to do with blowing us up back in 2001), and they all voted for Bush too.

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted December 21, 2004 13:09      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by greycat:
quote:

America is chock full of people who consider themselves "Christians". By this, they mean that they oppose abortions and homosexuality. Bush promises (or implies) that he will stock the Supreme Court with anti-Choice candidates. He backed a Constitutional Amendment to deny marriage rights to gay couples. And the Republicans sponsored a series of State Constitutional Amendments that would ban gay marriages and/or civil unions at the State levels, where such bans can actually be enforced. The "Christians" came out in droves to vote against the gays, and while they were at the polls, they voted against Kerry too.

P.S.: Every single State Constitutional Amendment banning gay marriages passed. Ohio's also bans civil unions; I'm not sure about the others.

Oh, and there was that whole airplanes-flying-into-the-building thing, too. There are a lot of Americans who just love to see us blowing up other countries (even ones that had nothing to do with blowing us up back in 2001), and they all voted for Bush too.

Indeed! Exactly the type of people who would never post on Geek Culture

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2004 13:30      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iGottaMac:
quote:
quote:
He's in good company

Probably Tony Blair... well, I hope it would be him anyway! He is rubbish at running my country and would deserve this!
It would probably be those gay, pot-smoking, godless, VW bus driving, long haired, left-winged liberals.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2004 13:31      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Indeed! Exactly the type of people who would never post on Geek Culture
eXcetp ASM with his uDdEr GENIus hAs oNee by one ouTsmartTed eveRyONE at GeEKCuLTuRe.

BeCAUse this OnE tim Capton Vic said
Just last week three worker died after slipping on meatballs.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2004 13:41      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MTB Babe, You should not assume that everyone who voted him in is as stupid as ASM. Quite a lot of his cheerleaders are very clever people, though they all show an utter disdain for things like rational argument, proof, evidence, and empirical data, for which I have (in their view) an over-sentimental attachment. But nevertheless do not under estimate the opposition.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2004 14:01      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Too Cool To Quit:
It would probably be those gay, pot-smoking, godless, VW bus driving, long haired, left-winged liberals.

You called?! Oh, wait, I'm not godless, nor gay... [blush]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted December 21, 2004 16:54      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
quote:
Originally posted by Too Cool To Quit:

You called?! Oh, wait, I'm not godless, nor gay... [blush]
God loving, hetero, America-hater. [evil]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 22, 2004 07:13      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
MTB Babe, You should not assume that everyone who voted him in is as stupid as ASM. Quite a lot of his cheerleaders are very clever people, though they all show an utter disdain for things like rational argument, proof, evidence, and empirical data, for which I have (in their view) an over-sentimental attachment. But nevertheless do not under estimate the opposition.

I did not in any way insinuate that anyone who voted for Bush is stupid. In fact, one of my most esteemed and intelligent friends is a far right conservative who worships Bush. I MEANT that church-going christians who are ANTI-CHOICE and against gay rights would not post to Geek Culture. I was referencing the comments made by Grey Cat.
Please read my whole post and those I quoted before making a judgement please.

--------------------

greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2004 07:41      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MTB Babe, I thought you were being sarcastic, but neglected to include a [Roll Eyes] smiley. The reason I assumed that, is because there are people just like that posting at Geek Culture....

Personally, I don't think everyone who voted for Bush is stupid; but I feel they're either ignorant of some essential facts about Bush's administration (the majority), or they're so morally misguided that they actually applaud Bush's horror show (a minority, but a hideously large one, I fear).

I really cannot see how anyone in their right mind, with full knowledge of what Bush has done, could possibly vote for him. The only right-wing group under discussion that has any reasonable moral basis for existing is the anti-abortion group; I can understand that if they think an embryo is a human being (a view I do not share), then abortion may be some form of manslaughter. I disagree with them, but I can understand why they think that way. The gay-bashers, and the anti-evolutionists, and the other Bible-thumpers that always scream incoherent shit whenever anyone's within earshot all need to be in padded rooms (preferably without voting machines).

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2004 10:39      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Personally, I don't think everyone who voted for Bush is stupid;

I do.

Stupid:

quote:

Slow to learn or understand; obtuse.
Tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes.
Marked by a lack of intelligence or care; foolish or careless: a stupid mistake.
Dazed, stunned, or stupefied.
Pointless; worthless: a stupid job.

The exception would be the Bush insiders and Oil and Construction barons who stand to make Billions in blood money contracts.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2004 11:10      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
MTB Babe, I thought you were being sarcastic, but neglected to include a [Roll Eyes] smiley. The reason I assumed that, is because there are people just like that posting at Geek Culture....

Personally, I don't think everyone who voted for Bush is stupid; but I feel they're either ignorant of some essential facts about Bush's administration (the majority), or they're so morally misguided that they actually applaud Bush's horror show (a minority, but a hideously large one, I fear).

I really cannot see how anyone in their right mind, with full knowledge of what Bush has done, could possibly vote for him. The only right-wing group under discussion that has any reasonable moral basis for existing is the anti-abortion group; I can understand that if they think an embryo is a human being (a view I do not share), then abortion may be some form of manslaughter. I disagree with them, but I can understand why they think that way. The gay-bashers, and the anti-evolutionists, and the other Bible-thumpers that always scream incoherent shit whenever anyone's within earshot all need to be in padded rooms (preferably without voting machines).

Whoops; then I misunderstood you.
I always assume that Everyone here is as liberally minded as I am.
[Razz]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture