homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Cap'n Vic (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Cap'n Vic
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 14:04      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bull3t:
my girlfriend miscarried.

Hey, if this is true and not just another ploy to gain attention, I'm really sorry to hear that. I've been there myself and know what she's going through.
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 14:52      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by magefile:
And I have to say, Cap'n V is a troll, certainly, but he's an enjoyable troll. Entertaining, to say the least.

I disagree....you haven't been around long enough to make that kind of call.

A troll posts, or baits inflammatory remarks in the hope of starting a shit slinging session. If I am guilty of anything it is responding to trolls and flaming people who left themselves wide open. And yes I do recieve the odd one. This by the way is a fine example of how harmless barbs should be shared.

Lets examine....

McD makes an innocent enough post.

I counter with an open ended barb.

csk absolutly slays me with a 'mother joke'

We all laugh and no one is pissed about it.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 15:25      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It all depends on your definition of troll. You do things that could (from one point of view) be seen as troll-ish, but, like I said, it's not negative.

It's a semantics thing. I define troll as someone who flames a lot (and may or may not be obnoxious), you define troll as someone who starts shit-slings for fun.

I apologize if you took it the wrong way.

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 15:32      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Troll Definition Probably more than you want to know.
Posts: 5830 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 15:41      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:
And I have to say, Cap'n V is a troll, certainly, but he's an enjoyable troll. Entertaining, to say the least.

I disagree....
me too, you're not that entertaining [evil]

/coat

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10466 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 15:43      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

I disagree....you haven't been around long enough to make that kind of call.

A troll posts, or baits inflammatory remarks in the hope of starting a shit slinging session. If I am guilty of anything it is responding to trolls and flaming people who left themselves wide open. And yes I do recieve the odd one. This by the way is a fine example of how harmless barbs should be shared.

Lets examine....

McD makes an innocent enough post.

I counter with an open ended barb.

csk absolutly slays me with a 'mother joke'

We all laugh and no one is pissed about it.

I had to read that one a second time when you first posted it. I couldn't think of a comeback at the time and my brain is to lazy today to think of one. Maybe next week after my weekend hangover goes away I'll think of something.

Get to go play poker this weekend. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
mongoose
Geek
Member # 1991

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 15:44      Profile for mongoose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be short, but making a malicious attack and threatening violence won't solve anything. If you are angry at someone for what they have said, just try to ignore them or spend time away from where you'll see them. Its just the internet, calm down and don't let it make you angry.

-Mongoose

--------------------
"information superhighway" is just an anagram for "i'm on a huge wispy rhino fart". - www.bsd.org

Posts: 141 | From: There's a NEW Jersey? | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 16:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
If you're in MO, don't carry an ice cream cone in your back pocket. [Razz]

That would be good advice anywhere [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 16:58      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I apologize if you took it the wrong way.

No offence taken.

BTW GMx that definition you posted made my head hurt, it taken at face value, all of us are trolls

-

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 17:00      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
 -

csk, your timing is impecable [Wink]

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 17:11      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're willing to spend $1k on getting someone to come visit you just so you can punch them in the teeth?

Jesus man, mailbombs are cheaper.

Posts: 4894 | From: Kitchener, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
mongoose
Geek
Member # 1991

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 17:23      Profile for mongoose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
You're willing to spend $1k on getting someone to come visit you just so you can punch them in the teeth?

But oh so much more illegal, just ask the Unibomber.

--------------------
"information superhighway" is just an anagram for "i'm on a huge wispy rhino fart". - www.bsd.org

Posts: 141 | From: There's a NEW Jersey? | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 17:24      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mongoose:
quote:

But oh so much more illegal, just ask the Unibomber.
We're talking about a dude who's willing to pay $1000 to have someone flown to his house to beat him up. You think legality is the first thing on his mind?

I'm moderately sure the first thing on his mind is: " ".

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 17:28      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
We're talking about a dude who's willing to pay $1000 to have someone flown to his house to beat him up. You think legality is the first thing on his mind?

I'm moderately sure the first thing on his mind is: " ".

Gee, dnm, are you trying to get a thread with your name on it, too? [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 17:33      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I am going to Toronto in June, maybe newf; we can meet in Kingston (half way) and knock each others teeth out. Ya know....share the cost.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 17:35      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's funny to me... there are 10 year olds around here that are bigger than bull3t and would snap his neck without even a bit of remorse, maybe he should come down here and learn how to fight like a Good Ol' Boy.

Then the beer and the guns... wait, on second thought, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy that someone have to put up with these people.

Edit: I kind of thought about putting smilies in this post but I couldn't find a way to do it and not make it look even more asinine. Oh well... alls I can say is, take no offense, I'm making fun of my peers.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 17:50      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I'm spending way less than that and i get to punch AND kick people.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 18:03      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...I counter with an open ended barb.

ever note how this guys does the same to me, and how i totally ignore him?

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 18:08      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Actually, I am going to Toronto in June, maybe newf; we can meet in Kingston (half way) and knock each others teeth out. Ya know....share the cost.

Haha. Sounds like a plan. We can get pizza at that place you were talking about, and then duke it out.

Bull3t style.

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 19:07      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then I'll get you drunk at the Irish Pub.....even though you don't drink.

-

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 19:17      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -ct-:
quote:

Really now? [Wink]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 20:28      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, all this has got me thinking philosophically about what is and isn't trolling. A lot of the the troll-like stuff posted is intended to stir up the emotions of the intended target(s). Here, we use "stirrers" to refer to anyone who does that, I'd classify many comments in that category, plenty of my own included (especially comments about Vic's Mom [Wink] ).

But the difference I see is in terms of how the "troller" reacts to the reactions of the trolled (and how s/he expects them to react). If they're expecting them to laugh it off, or even counter with a witty remark of their own, then that's just good natured fun, as long as it's not taken to extremes, of course. If it's more serious, and they're expecting (and sometimes get) abuse, threats of violence, etc, then that's something else. The first enhances the general mood of the place, the second destroys it.

Of course, it's most effective when it's widely known that the "troller" is joking around, otherwise misunderstanding can ensue, and quickly cause people to forget about their sense of humour.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 20:53      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me had a sort-of-witty-troll reply lined up, but it made /me/ shudder...so...scrap that.

Uh...time to get intellectual here.

Right then...*ahem*

Yo momma!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9213 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 21:20      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by -ct-:
quote:

Really now? [Wink]
ok,usually i do

heh

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 11, 2004 21:47      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
/me had a sort-of-witty-troll reply lined up, but it made /me/ shudder...so...scrap that.

Uh...time to get intellectual here.

Right then...*ahem*

Yo momma!

Yeah, well, YOUR ALL GAY!!!11!!!!1111!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.