homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Flying Rats

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Flying Rats
zboy
Mini Geek
Member # 2969

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2004 23:14      Profile for zboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if any of you have heard about this yet, rather strange. You will need Media Player to watch the video.
http://www.exn.ca/news/video/exn2004/10/25/exn20041025-plane-brain.asx

This is a video of an experiment where rats brain cells fly a flight simulator of an F-22.

I am rather confused in how this all works, and wonder what kind of a person says, I am going to hook up rat brain cells to a computer.

Posts: 72 | From: A galaxy far, far, away ... | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2004 02:50      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zboy:
I am rather confused in how this all works, and wonder what kind of a person says, I am going to hook up rat brain cells to a computer.

A neuroscientist perhaps? [Razz]
Posts: 1151 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted October 28, 2004 13:49      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is really freaky and amazing, especially how the group of cultured cells from the rat joined together and formed their own network.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/10/041022104658.htm

When DeMarse first puts the neurons in the dish, they look like little more than grains of sand sprinkled in water. However, individual neurons soon begin to extend microscopic lines toward each other, making connections that represent neural processes. "You see one extend a process, pull it back, extend it out – and it may do that a couple of times, just sampling who's next to it, until over time the connectivity starts to establish itself," he said. "(The brain is) getting its network to the point where it's a live computation device."

It's mind boggling really!
[crazy]

Posts: 8170 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr Bill
Assimilated
Member # 553

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted October 29, 2004 13:03      Profile for Mr Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the big deal? People have been controlling flight simulators with mice for years... [Smile]

"Flight 503 has been cancelled due to technical difficulties - the plane has a migraine."

--------------------
Will work for taglines...

Posts: 378 | From: Down the hall, second door on the right | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2004 16:01            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They've been working with neural networks for years...but this is, I think, the first time they've tried to use real neurons to do it.

What may come out of this is, not only a new generation of computing hardware (that's really "wetware"), but a better understanding about how our own brains work. Nifty.

IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture