homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » John Peel has died

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: John Peel has died
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted October 26, 2004 06:48      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peel, whose radio career spanned 40 years, was on a working holiday in the city of Cuzco with his wife Sheila when he suffered a heart attack. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3955289.stm

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2004 07:02      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy crap! [Frown] [Frown]

John Peel was a legend. He single-handedly launched the careers of many alternative musicians. From 'the Fall' to 'the White Stripes' - he had a big part in getting them heard on national radio, when no one else wanted to know.

The greatest DJ of his time, and an utterly smashing geezer.

edit: for those of you who have no idea who he was - Peel was a DJ on BBC radio 1 - famous for his enthusiasm for unknown and weird music. You could listen to his show, usually late-ish at night, and be sure to hear anything from Half Man Half Biscuit, to the Smiths - and loads of never-heard-again demo tapes in between. Peel was the geezer you sent your poor-quality garage band demo and crossed your fingers that the great one would give you a couple of minutes of national air-time. He championed bands that no one else cared about - acts would queue up to record 'John Peel Sessions', like Hendrix, and the 'Yeah Yeah Yeahs', to name but two. Anyway - no person on BBC radio could ever merit the sort of international admiration that he did.

[Frown] [Frown]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2004 08:04      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A very sad day. John Peel is an institution. The world has become a slightly worse place.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2004 09:19      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown]

Time to load up my iPod with all of the "Peel Sessions" I have.

I prefer many of the Peel Session recordings over the originals.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2004 09:24      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll take all your words for it and agree that this is a great loss.

However, I'll try not to hold the White Stripes against him. If I ever heard an obnoxious, talentless band that aren't worth the drums they're banging on, the White Stripes are it.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted October 26, 2004 09:31      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard a lot of great stuff I probably would have never gotten the chance to thanks to John Peel. This is just so shocking, because it seemed like he would be around forever. [Frown]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2004 09:38      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dnf, it really is a great loss, not only to the UK but to the world at large. John Peel was an absolute legend, there are so many musicians who no-one would never have heard of if it wasn't for his enthusiasm for music. I've never felt so bad on the death of a celebrity [Frown] [Frown]
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2004 10:09      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In addition to his ear for new music, his droll understated sense of humour and disarming modesty, he was also one of those radio voices that became your friend.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2004 10:58      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have listened to him on the internet -BBCradio.
Johnnie Walker has been airing clips of some of his early work in the 1960s. They had worked together quite a while. I wonder if the Beeb will put up some of his old sessions to listen to.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aves Corax
Mini Geek
Member # 2533

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2004 18:56      Profile for Aves Corax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never heard Mr. Peel's show, and yet my first impulse upon reading he above article was to go download the Undertones song mentioned. This man is good.

In all seriousness, any man with widespread success who refuses to sit still, and instead innovates over the span of forty years is to be respected. Any man who goes through endless streams of demo tapes because he wants to help good bands is to be admired. And any man who likes the White Stripes should be forgiven if he helped Hendrix get his start.

--------------------
"Be ye not lost among precepts of order."
The Principia Discordia

Posts: 65 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture