homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Hurricane Frances attackith! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hurricane Frances attackith!
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted September 02, 2004 11:39      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nitrozac's brother lives in the Bahamas, and is batting down the hatches in preparation for Hurricane Frances. He and his wife have evacuated to a hotel, since their waterfront apartment is not a safe place to be. :understatementoftheyear:

Here's a page i've been tracking the storm on... Nitro's bro lives on New Providence Island... looks like Frances is going to score a bullseye. [Eek!]

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-vis-loop.html

Good luck to all in the storms path!!  -

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted September 02, 2004 18:58      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa! Big picture of Frances!

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2004/images/frances090204-1815zb.jpg

Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2004 19:39      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My parents & grandparents are north of Orlando bracing for the worse, as are my Brothers in-laws who live in Miami. Charley totaled my in-laws business and my grandparent in-laws trailer. My in-laws just got back into their home this past weekend. Scary stuff! And they wonder why we don't want to move to Florida [crazy]
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
N9IWP
Geek
Member # 1229

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2004 12:29      Profile for N9IWP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My nephew lives east centarl Florida somewhere. Previously the track was heading directly at him, I think it is going a but north now.

He lives near the water, but in a pretty strong building. Moved stuff up to the second floor & installed the hurrican shutters. Was there last night but has/will be moving farther inland at the golf course where he works. (another strong building)

Actually, that picture is aesthetically beautiful.

Brian

Posts: 181 | From: Southeast MN | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2004 15:12      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have friends and family down there too. I hope everyone is okay. Maybe Digitalbill will surf out of danger on a 20 inch ibook. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Richard
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2868

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2004 06:48      Profile for Richard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm currently in Jacksonville, FL. While we aren't taking much from the brunt of the storm the Bank I work for is having the operations staff stay here.

It's now 09:45 EDT Sunday, I've been here since 08:00 EDT Saturday and will be here until 20:00 EDT Monday (Yes that's correct, 60 hours straight.) This makes for a very nice pay check, and an interesting article I'll try to post a link to here. (Pictures included.) It's a little rough, especially since it's mostly just a lot of rain and some wind.

Some of these guys needed to bring some deoderant [Wink]

~REM [crazy]

Posts: 49 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ivan
Alpha Geek
Member # 2622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2004 10:19      Profile for Ivan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hurricane Ivan anyone?

-

[crazy]

Posts: 269 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Richard
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2868

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2004 11:49      Profile for Richard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little bit of background:
I currently work in the Operations Center for a bank in Jacksonville, FL. They have informed me and several other guys (shown in pictures below) to stay from 8am Saturday until 8pm Monday. They got some food for us and told us only to eat it during 'emergency situations' when we couldn't leave the building.
Okay, so after day 1 of sleeping in the computer room, here are a couple of pictures:

-
This would be a couple of the operators sleeping after the first 12 hour shift.

-
This would be the guys working hard on several ATM outages...

-
The overnight shift sleeping peacefully, awaiting their turn back at the desk...

-
Someone has to monitor the... anime? While everyone else sleeps.

I'll post more later.
~Richard

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 05, 2004 13:33      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard ! Excellent photos! [Big Grin]

I just heard from DigitalBill... He has no power or internet... and it may be off for a few days, but he went to the Apple Store for access. [Smile]

Hang in there DB!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2004 15:25      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard:
A little bit of background:
I currently work in the Operations Center for a bank in Jacksonville, FL. They have informed me and several other guys (shown in pictures below) to stay from 8am Saturday until 8pm Monday.

Please tell me they paid you obscene amounts of overtime for abandoning your homes and loved-ones during an emergency to baby-sit their computers.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2868

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2004 16:00      Profile for Richard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I'll be getting my normal 40 hours for this week plus an extra 44 hours of overtime pay for this little baby-sitting job, that's really all it is, man how I wish I had some bawls right about now... :sigh:
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted September 05, 2004 17:46      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't heard from NitroBro yet. Apparently he's checked out of the hotel since yesterday. Today his Mother in Law is arriving for a visit. They wouldn't refund her ticket. [ohwell]

I told him to take lots of pics, so, hopefully, he'll have some good shots!

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted September 05, 2004 18:16      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THIS JUST IN>>>>
an almost live image of DigitalBill in his car....

-
A geek needs his power.

Here's his setup...
Powerbook G4 17 1.5GHz, playing DVDs, powered from Kensington Auto/Air adapter, hooked into car stereo via audio cassette adapter. Online via T-Mobile GPRS data through BlueTooth connection from powerbook to Nokia 3650 cell. Also charging iPod via Belkin iPod Auto kit

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2004 19:06      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
THIS JUST IN>>>>
an almost live image of DigitalBill in his car....

-
A geek needs his power.

Here's his setup...
Powerbook G4 17 1.5GHz, playing DVDs, powered from Kensington Auto/Air adapter, hooked into car stereo via audio cassette adapter. Online via T-Mobile GPRS data through BlueTooth connection from powerbook to Nokia 3650 cell. Also charging iPod via Belkin iPod Auto kit

Would you pass along my most sincere Geeky Appreciation to DB? Very cool stuff - especially the PB -> cell via BT (many of us VZW users curse said company for keeping this from us).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2004 19:10      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't they grow lemons down in Florida? see here
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2004 19:26      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gawd, I hope DB has his pants on in there. [Big Grin]

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2004 19:37      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I was kind of wondering if he might have been wearing a kilt instead [Wink] . Might be unwise in a storm, but hey, whatever floats your boat...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2004 20:24      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Actually, I was kind of wondering if he might have been wearing a kilt instead [Wink] . Might be unwise in a storm, but hey, whatever floats your boat...

Call that a storm?

Och laddie, back in Scotland, ye widnae cancel the fitba' for a wee bit o' rain like that.

-
Traditional Scottish architecture, note the use of ropes and boulders to hold the roof on.

(no disrespect meant to Florida geeks, I know big storms are no fun)

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

DigitalBill

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 646

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2004 16:56      Profile for DigitalBill   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well.. we made it through the night... Power came back on and taunted us from 0300 - 0900, then off again till 1200, but back on pretty steady. The T1 demarc point was frelled, so we're waiting for Covad to come and fix that, and the cable's still out so I can't even leach off my neighbor's unprotected Linksys [Wink] I'm at Border's now (shhhh.... I don't think they're charging me!) though Covad says the T1 should be back up tonight.

Lots of trees down and such, no structural damage I can see...

quote:
Dragonman97...
Would you pass along my most sincere Geeky Appreciation to DB? Very cool stuff - especially the PB -> cell via BT (many of us VZW users curse said company for keeping this from us).

Sorry to hear that DMan... I'm on T-Mobile, and they're more than happy to charge you for such. But thanks anyway for the 'props'...

quote:
Cap'n Vic
Gawd, I hope DB has his pants on in there.

quote:
dragonman97
Actually, I was kind of wondering if he might have been wearing a kilt instead . Might be unwise in a storm, but hey, whatever floats your boat...

In the pic, shorts. just too much stuff to worry about to deploy the kilt for this adventure. Though, if I had evac'd as requested, it woulda been kilted... DMan is right though... kilts and hurricanes... nee even winds, don't really mesh very well.

So, basically, we're all good here... be back to work in the cold grey tomorrow.

Thanks for all of your thoughts!

=DB

No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. Azrael, Dogma

--------------------
I've found life is so much better in the cartoon universe!
"No power in the 'Verse can stop us!"

Posts: 604 | From: The Wizards of Technology Binary Bunker | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
N9IWP
Geek
Member # 1229

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 12:36      Profile for N9IWP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Note from my sister-in-law:
update 1:
He and those he was with are safe. That's the most important thing. About 15 of them were 'hold up' in the lower level of the Ritz Carlton Golf Community Club House. It is 'hurricane proofed' through very new construction, but obviously had not yet been tested at 105 mile per hour winds. Which is the speed when that 'eye' went over.
As soon as (my nephew) could get to his car, and charge his cell phone he said he'd call again with more information. But we see on the news that they national guard is going through the city streets securing them from downed power lines, and debris. So could be a little while before he can return to see what condition his townhome and belongings are in. But he's safe and unharmed and for that we and he are very grateful.

(update 2)
(my nephew) called early this AM. Said cell towers are overloaded by 8AM and so wanted to get to us before he was 'cut off'. They still have NO Power in his area. The curfew was lifted later yesterday afternoon and after making sure his car was undamaged in the parking lot, when RIGHT TO WORK! Can you believe it. The Ritz Cartlon has very highly motivated staff and a standard to uphold. As I was reminded by (my nephew) this morning.
He was able to get back to his townhome in Juno Beach and saw that it had not sustained any damage inside or out ... Being only 2 blocks from the open ocean and that seawall of water from Frances hitting land there ... All contents were in order at the house and he unloaded the frozen meat and took it with him. He is NOT sure whe they will get power back, so he does what he can in the meantime.
He spend Labor Day WORKING. Ran to the townhome on break! He and the Head Pro spent the day videotaping the damage to the course. The Club House is fine and immediate surroundings, but the course itself sustained tree and limb damage. They were readying the tapes for the insurance company because: They plan to OPEN the course again tomorrow. That shocked me, but then I'm not a Ritz Carlton employee. As I was reminded by our son, 'you know our policy'--'First and Best'. I asked him who he thought would be out golfing 3 days after a hurricane and he said, 'alot of the members Mom, what else do they have to do'? Then brought me up to speed on the fact that this is an exclusive Club and the members have servants and staff who will be cleaning up their home properties! So a whole different world.

Brian

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 14:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know whether to be inspired by the tale of dedication above, or depressed that our society makes getting the golf course operational for rich members such a priority after a national disaster.

A bit of both I suppose.

--------------------

Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2004 16:01      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brother lives north of Tampa. With the flooding and power lines down the police are urging people to stay home. Yet his boss tried to get him to come to work the other day and help answer phones at the cable company for new installs and troubleshooting. Um hello no power for much of the region! I would not even expect my cable TV to be up and running for a long time after a storm like this. Oh they also wanted him to go shoot video of the aftermath, gotta get that "you saw it here 1st" scoop [Roll Eyes] Screw your safety!

He decided to stay home with his wife and baby [hearts]

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
N9IWP
Geek
Member # 1229

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2004 10:24      Profile for N9IWP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My nephew is single.
And I'm not sure it says anything about society in general (it is not like FEMA is opening the golf courses before restoring power lines), just a very narrow segment of it.

Brian

Richard
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2868

Icon 10 posted September 12, 2004 17:58      Profile for Richard   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to keep bringing it up or anything but I'm still working on a web-page detailing the many hours I spent at work while Hurricane Frances beat on Florida...

Here's a preview... Let me know what you think.
Hurricane Frances

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted September 12, 2004 19:51      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
heh, i love that Emergency Provisions letter... "These are not snacks for general consumption! Access these provisions only when conditions warrant."

How long was it 'till the box was cracked open?

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture