homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » President Ronal Reagan is dead (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: President Ronal Reagan is dead
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2004 16:09      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
President reagan dies at the age of 93.... A very sad day for those who lived through his reign.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5144264/

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2004 16:28      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot truthfully say I am that sad, as I never liked him. Undoubtedly he tapped into the mood of the 80s, and rode the wave of some tumultuous world events very successfully. He also was aware of his own limitations, and picked good advisors, and listened to them. Would that the current incumbent had that last gift.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2004 19:55      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing to be sad about. He had a good run. He lived well, achieved the goals he set out, and lost his mind before his body, so he didn't anquish in the end.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2004 20:49      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to say, but I'm not sad at all. He ruined the US. He hid the evil of his administration behind his "aw shucks, I'm one of you" facade, which to me was galling. His speeches with made up anecdotes that he palmed off as true stories were equally as bad. He was a third rate actor that rode out WW II in Hollywood while he had no trouble sending others off to die during his administration.
As a man in private he may well very been a decent person, but as President I just saw him as the personification of evil.
And he did not end Communism. Communism took care of that all by itself.

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2004 21:36      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronald Ray-gun?
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2004 23:07      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronnie and Maggie made a good team, she had the brains, he had the charm.

I look forward to that team being reunited very soon.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Slurpy
Highlie
Member # 2050

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2004 00:01      Profile for Slurpy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
And he did not end Communism. Communism took care of that all by itself.

Many historians attribute it to the fact that Reagan's runaway military spending forced the USSR to match us, thus impoverishing the common Soviets, which of course led to the fall of the USSR.

Oh yeah, and communism isn't dead. It's just the Soyuz Sovetskikh Sotsialisticheskikh Respublik.

--------------------
I must first reveal my personal bias in this discussion, since I worship at the 'First Church of PDF Really Sucks.'
-Bruce Tognazzini
http://thegeekgroup.org
Geek ID# 1162

Posts: 692 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2004 00:33      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like all totalitarian regimes, the Soviet Union relied on fear to maintain itself. And brutality. (and surprise, and fanatical devotion to the Pope, etc).

The moment the common people realised that Gorbachev wouldn't have them all shot if they spoke out, the Soviet Union was doomed. So the credit for the fall of the Soviet Union belongs to Gorbachev, not Reagan.

Ironically, the man who came to power in Moscow after speeding the fall of the Soviet Union showed that he was all too willing to have his opponents shot ... [ohwell]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2004 01:36      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

Does anyone remember that Spitting Image sketch with Ronnie saying goodbye to Maggie at the airport, then turning to an advisor, saying: "There goes a damn fine lady... shame it's only her country I'm screwing."

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2004 09:05      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:

Does anyone remember that Spitting Image sketch with Ronnie saying goodbye to Maggie at the airport, then turning to an advisor, saying: "There goes a damn fine lady... shame it's only her country I'm screwing."
I loved that show.....is it still on over there?

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2004 13:40      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:
quote:

I loved that show.....is it still on over there?
alas not, but the country is still being screwed by the US president
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2004 16:00      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those of us who lived through the fantastic economic conditions that he outlined thouroghly and proved by having congress cut taxes (the tax rate for real producers at the time was over 70%).
Government revenue went up and Americans enjoyed the highest standard of living since the fifties.

He did break the back of comunisism in Europe. Gorbechev did not decide to just quit being a dictator because he could do better on the lecture circuit.

He was a brilliant strategist who was humble - He was a man who made fortunes rather than inherited them and who knew that motivated indiviuals could make a nation great while those who lived off the fat of others would divide a country.

http://ronaldreagan.com

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2004 20:02      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Does anyone remember that Spitting Image sketch with Ronnie saying goodbye to Maggie at the airport, then turning to an advisor, saying: "There goes a damn fine lady... shame it's only her country I'm screwing." [/QUOTE]

** shudder **

Spungo, I can put up with your constant references to sex with sheep, and sex with the maggot-eaten dead, but now you've gone too far. The very idea of sex with Maggie is just too gross to mention in polite company.

Please give some pre-warning in future before you mention such truly disgusting concepts.

/me wanders off to wash my memory clean with soap.

--------------------

crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted June 08, 2004 09:41      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
REAGAN??!!??!!!!??

I remember getting my $6 a month tax cut and wondering who it was supposed to help. I remember standing in and unemployment line with UAW workers in Toledo, talking about how Reagan had said the economy was recovering, and wondering when "trickle down economics" would trickle down to us. I remember the nasty rhetoric of his Saturday radio address, where he started the great "anti teacher/privatization of schools" concept. I remember how he did business with the Iranians, supported killers in South America, and lied about it. I remember how he almost bankrupted the country. I remember corporate raiders, who bought out companies, devalued their pension plans, and stole the money, all while Reagan turned his back. I remember a man who was given credit for ending the cold war, and actually, was just standing there when it happened.

No, I have absolutely no fond feelings for the man. He was all PR and no substance, and was the first president to serve while senile. I feel for his family, but his policies were rotten.

Posts: 238 | From: Southern Ohio ... SURF OHIO, BABY! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2004 11:41      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Like all totalitarian regimes, the Soviet Union relied on fear to maintain itself. And brutality. (and surprise, and fanatical devotion to the Pope, etc).

The moment the common people realised that Gorbachev wouldn't have them all shot if they spoke out, the Soviet Union was doomed. So the credit for the fall of the Soviet Union belongs to Gorbachev, not Reagan.

Ironically, the man who came to power in Moscow after speeding the fall of the Soviet Union showed that he was all too willing to have his opponents shot ... [ohwell]

Roman Catholics tend not to write in Cyrillic. Maybe you are thinking of the Orthodox Catholics.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted June 08, 2004 11:44      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Fanatical devotion to the pope" comes from a Monty Python sketch. May I suggest

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004ZEU5/qid=1086720252/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/104-9599532-4542356?v=glance&s=dvd

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2004 11:45      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by crazyarlo:
REAGAN??!!??!!!!??
I remember how he did business with the Iranians, supported killers in South America, and lied about it.

I think you forgot how he did business with a certain recently-ousted dictator.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2004 11:47      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And all this time I thought the President from 1980 to 1988 was Maxx Headroom.

--------------------

crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 08, 2004 12:42      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH YEAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Sold poison gas to Saddam to use on the Iranians that he used on the Kurds instead....

on and on and on....

Posts: 238 | From: Southern Ohio ... SURF OHIO, BABY! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2004 15:26      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by crazyarlo:
OH YEAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Sold poison gas to Saddam to use on the Iranians that he used on the Kurds instead....

on and on and on....

And sold illegal drugs to American kids so he could use the money to fund central-american terrorists.....

--------------------

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2004 15:32      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And declared that Ketchup was a vegtable and that trees caused pollution.
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2004 16:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
And declared that Ketchup was a vegtable and that trees caused pollution.

Heh.
Some wit in (if memory serves) San Francisco attached a sign to a tree at a busy intersection...

Cut me down before I kill again

He also quoted scenes from old movies as if they were fact.

--------------------

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2004 17:41      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All those stories about his verbal gaffes miss the point. He was the most effective radical, almost revolutionary, politician. Like Mrs Thatcher over here he changed the political landscape forever. In one sense they were both a long overdue dose of corrective political medicine. But in both cases their legacy has been almost universally bad, as you cannot live in a state of permanent revolution. That "liberal" and "compromise" are still terms of political abuse is a part of this legacy. Any politician now putting forward the notion that no single person or party has a monopoly on truth would be almost universally derided as having no moral courage. Instead we currently seem to admire politicians with clear simple solutions to the complex problems of this world. Prior to Reagan that was usually taken as a sign of insanity, and I am not sure that these current attitudes represent any kind of progress, or that the current accepted political wisdom is any advance on the shibboleths that he and Mrs Thatcher destroyed.

The ideological influence of the neo conservatives on the current administration is as clear an example of this bitter Reganite legacy as you could find. They have taken elements of his ideas and refined them into an extreme and unforgiving dogma. Do read their web site. They are profoundly stupid in the way that only very clever men can be. Only men like this, with this radical right wing mindset could believe that you can ignore all the lessons of the last 60 years of history and embark on the Iraq adventure without catastrophic medium and long term consequences.

It is perhaps rather unfair to blame Reagan for the unintended consequences of the revolution he set in train, as I suspect he, with his common sense view of the world would have little sympathy with their intellectual idiocy, or indeed with the paranoid hysterical ramblings of the right wing commentators to whom he is almost a saint.

And Chesty is right, he did have a lot to do with the collapse of communism. When he came to power he was briefed by the Defence department that the Warsaw pact had many time more troops missiles and arms than the US. "So what do we have that they don't?" he asked.
"Well... more money"
"Then we'll outspend them"
The renewed arms race that his decision initiated, and in particular the high tech initiatives like the rather ludicrous Star Wars programme seriously alarmed the Soviets and in the end brought down their economy. That communism would have eventually collapsed is easy to see with the benefit of hindsight, but at the very least he hastened its end.

But I still didn't like him.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 09, 2004 05:22      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, actually, the cold war was over before Reagan got in. I will never forget listening to his speeches, thinking "Cold War? What's he talking about?". Reagan actually RENEWED the Cold War as an excuse to line the pockets of defense contractors, and to "mobilize the base". $5500 toilet seats and the treasury draining Star Wars program are just two examples.

And here is a news flash" THERE IS NO MISSILE DEFENSE SYSTEM! All these years, and all that money, and all we have are technology demonstrators. No system. Too hard. Maybe in 20 more years.......

GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted June 09, 2004 09:21      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still think Reagan had very little to do with the fall of communism. What about Alexander Dubcek and Vaclav Havel in Czechloslovakia? Alexander Solzhenitsyn and Andre Sakharov in the Soviet Union? And especially Lech Walesa in Poland? These people put their lives on the line for freedom which is more than I can say for Reagan. It's easy to talk tough from a position of safety.

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture