homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Dungeons And Dragons Cartoon

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dungeons And Dragons Cartoon
Drazgal
Geek
Member # 984

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 07:32      Profile for Drazgal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im sure some of you remember this from the 80s, I remember sitting down as a very young child and was most disapointed when it got cancelled but Ive just found them released on DVD at play.com!!!! Im going to have to wait til september for the boxed set but the wait will be worth it!!
Posts: 154 | From: Dundee, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 07:45      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That totally kicks ass.

edit: of course, now I realise that they're a UK site. I wonder if they ship to the US....

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 634 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2004 09:05      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they have a seperate US site, PlayUSA.com. It used to all be on the same site, so that we could order Region 1 DVDs without having to import them, but it looks like the movie cartels put pressure on them to restrict trade.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2004 17:02      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of which...

are Region 2 DVDs PAL only? I've been looking for a particular show on DVD, but can only find it on UK sites... [Frown]

I don't want to buy 'em just to find out that my TV isn't compatable. Why can't you Brits be like the rest of the world and use NTSC? [Wink]

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2004 19:21      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flashfire:
Speaking of which...

are Region 2 DVDs PAL only? I've been looking for a particular show on DVD, but can only find it on UK sites... [Frown]

since region 2 covers most of Europe and Japan aswell, I would say not, but look at the languages for a slightly better idea.

quote:

I don't want to buy 'em just to find out that my TV isn't compatable. Why can't you Brits be like the rest of the world and use NTSC? [Wink]

I seem to remember being told that it is because it takes up less power or something like that, can't quite remember though. Also DVD copy protection does (did? not sure wether they have changed it by now) not work on PAL, it inserst the copy protection in a line which PAL does not even look at let alone use.

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2004 20:26      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alephcat:
Also DVD copy protection does (did? not sure wether they have changed it by now) not work on PAL, it inserst the copy protection in a line which PAL does not even look at let alone use.

Not true.
DVDs are all Macrovision protected over here, although I've never quite understood why, because half he players on the market allow you to override the protection, or can be easily modified to do so.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10700 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
fishd
Mini Geek
Member # 2416

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2004 00:50      Profile for fishd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flashfire:
Why can't you Brits be like the rest of the world and use NTSC? [Wink]

Be like the rest of the world? Bah!

Don't you mean when are you outlying colonies going to fall back into line! [Eek!] [evil]

As this table shows, there are so many competing formats it's stupid. But it raises one interesting point; if Region 2 DVD's cover Europe and Japan how do they work considering the UK uses PAL, France uses SECAM and Japan uses NTSC??? They print at least three different versions of a Region 2 disc???

[nostalgia] I remember when they proposed the DVD standard, it was going to be heaven for the movie industry because instead of proucing localised copies for each area one DVD could be printed for the whole world but contain loads of different languages. It would reduce production costs therefore massively reduce prices.[/nostalgia]

WTF HAPPENED THERE THEN ??? [Mad]

--------------------
--
Yeah, what he said... but funnier.

Posts: 59 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2004 10:20      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They suddenly realized that it would also mean that pirates could copy their DVDs and sell them all around the world. So they decided to have localized versions to limit/localize the piracy. (Or so I've heard, but it could be wrong.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2004 14:32      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
They suddenly realized that it would also mean that pirates could copy their DVDs and sell them all around the world. So they decided to have localized versions to limit/localize the piracy. (Or so I've heard, but it could be wrong.)

More likely, they realised they couldn't keep charging premium prices in rich countries, while selling the same disks much cheaper in other markets.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted May 16, 2004 19:32      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
More likely, they realised they couldn't keep charging premium prices in rich countries, while selling the same disks much cheaper in other markets.

Not exactly. If that was the case, people in the US should be paying a lot more for their DVDs than they do. As it is, they pay less than just about everywhere else.

It comes down to protecting the foreign distributors, I think. It kinda makes sense in the case of countries like Japan, where the distributors do have to shoulder some expenses for translation, subtitles, dubbing, etc. But why should the UK or Australia be a different region?

The problem with the region system is that there is an awful lot of stuff that never gets released outside of Region 1. I've had to buy the Region 1 version of all five seasons of Babylon 5, for example, because no one in Japan has realized that this show would sell like crazy here.

Which means I had to import a Region 1 player to play them.

Now, that isn't a bad thing, especially now that DVD players are cheap. It meant I could buy Danamomma the Super Extended Platinum Gift Edition of Fellowship of the Ring, complete with her very own mini-Argonath (not available in Japan). Very cool!

Danapoppa

Posts: 237 | From: South of Mt. Fuji | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2004 19:42      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Danapoppa:
The problem with the region system is that there is an awful lot of stuff that never gets released outside of Region 1. I've had to buy the Region 1 version of all five seasons of Babylon 5, for example, because no one in Japan has realized that this show would sell like crazy here.

The other problem is, people don't stay in the same place all their lives.
When I returned to oz after 2 years in the UK I had ~30 CDs I'd bought in London. Imagine how pissed-off I'd have been if I'd arrived home and no aussie player would play them !

--------------------

fishd
Mini Geek
Member # 2416

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2004 02:15      Profile for fishd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Danapoppa:
I've had to buy the Region 1 version of all five seasons of Babylon 5, for example, because no one in Japan has realized that this show would sell like crazy here.

Um, not sure when you bought these but seasons 1 - 4 are currently available in Region 2... Play.com has them at not-quite-so-extorsionate-prices. I'm trying to sneakily buy them myself, although the girlfriend is gonna go crazy considering I already have them on VHS, but hey, times and formats change!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
--

Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 17, 2004 08:54      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fishd:
Um, not sure when you bought these but seasons 1 - 4 are currently available in Region 2... Play.com has them at not-quite-so-extorsionate-prices. I'm trying to sneakily buy them myself, although the girlfriend is gonna go crazy considering I already have them on VHS, but hey, times and formats change!!! [Big Grin]

Thanks for the info, fishd.

I got all five seasons at Amazon.co.jp, which carries a bunch of imported DVDs but, strangely enough, they're nearly always from Region 1. It would make more sense for them to import the Region 2 versions from the UK, but they don't.

The fact that Amazon carries them means I don't have to pay outrageous overseas shipping rates. The savings have more than made up for the cost of importing a Region 1 player, which I would have bought anyway, because there are a few things I really wanted from the Criterion Collection. (Their restoration of Gimme Shelter and the Monterey Pop three-disc set are must-haves for anyone who likes music from the sixties.)

Good luck getting your DVD copies! They're definitely worth it. We just finished watching Season 5 and I was pleased I'd bought them; the show is tatty in places, but there's some fantastic storytelling in it.

Now if they'd only hurry up and released the promised movie set!

Danapoppa

PS: Hmm. They also said something about releasing the spinoff series on DVD. Would that be worth getting, I wonder? I've only seen the pilot for that. Comments, fishd? Anyone?

greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2004 09:02      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crusade was pretty good, but it ended so early that they didn't really have time to get going properly. I'd say it's worth picking up if you liked B5 and have the money to spare.
Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
fishd
Mini Geek
Member # 2416

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2004 13:03      Profile for fishd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmm, have to say i disagree on crusade... the shows production quality was waaaaaay worse than b5 and while i realise that production quality isn't enough to make a show, settle down over there Deep Space 9 & Enterprise !, it sure helps.

there were other aspects i wasn't keen on, the story i thought was a little weak, the acting was... well, <i>special</i> and i just got the impression that a bunch of guys at the tv station thought "hey, that b5 thing has a great following at the moment, let's continue to cash in by rushing any other material JMS has lying around" ...

and don't get me started on "Babylon5: Legend of the Rangers" !!!! [shake head]

--------------------
--

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2004 14:40      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was more like:

TNT: Hey that Babylon 5 got us a lot of viewers. I wonder if they'll stick around to watch other stuff?

TNT2: Yeah! Let's make a new show!

(Crusade is cast and filmed)

TNT: Hmmm. No good. B5ers are going away after the show is over. Let's get rid of this show.

TNT2: You're right. Hey, we could show the episodes backwards and make ridiculous suggestions about the plot!

TNT: Cool let's do it!

(they make suggestions)

JMS: No, I don't want to do that. The audience isn't stupid.

(next suggestion)

JMS: People would kill me if the captain raped her!

(next suggestion)

JMS: I told you once, NO!

TNT: You know Joe, I like you but I think the show has to get cancelled. No hard feelings, right?

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted May 20, 2004 23:09      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks folks! It looks like Crusade is probably not such a great idea. I'll give it a pass, then. At least I've got the B5 movie collection to look forward to!

Er ... what were we talking about, originally?

Ah. D&D cartoon. Right. There was a D&D cartoon?

Danapoppa

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture