homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Three milestones out of four

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Three milestones out of four
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted April 22, 2004 14:08      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to interrupt, but I'm suffering from a severe case of "can't concentrate anymore", and I thought a little venting would help.

Well, as said in the title, I'm a three out of four. What? I hear you ask. Milestones for the end of my first session of back to school, is my answer. Two exams done, one project completed - one project to go.

Ok, the project completed isn't quite completed. Some of the code is missing. Almost everything is there, but rusty Java skills, a missing teammate and different priorities/time allowance between me (full time work, part-time studies, grad student) and the two others (full time studies, undergrad students) took their toll. Luckily, the course is about OO/UML conception, not programming, so it shouldn't be catastrophic that there are no interface (at all!) and no initialisation file, so the application is unusable (and thus, untested).

But I also had the exam for the same course this morning. I didn't know I could come out so confident of an exam after so few time spent studying. I kept trying convincing me I really knew everything, that it was somewhere in my brain, and that if I could stay calm, it would all come back to me. As a result, there is only 1or 2 points out of 35 I may have wrong, and even if I allow myself 5 points losts out of misreading or other stupid mistakes, I still should get enough to have the result needed.

Yes, needed, cause as some of you may remember/have forgotten/have never heard about, my admission to my Master program is conditionnal to a result of at least B for an undergraduate-level course - the one I just talked about.

Now, I only have one paper left to do, due next monday. My subject is 'Why R&D projects can't be managed with standard management techniques.' I have a pretty good idea of how I'm going to structure it, I have references (though none are quite what I was looking for), but I still have a lot of reading to do, and 12-15 pages to write.

<self-motivational>
I can do it. I can do it. I can do it. I can do it.
</self motivational>

<reality check>
How am I going to do that?
</reality check>

By the way, I though of using a title along the line "Mad Scientists - or why R&D projects are a nightmare for many managers", and use a light-hearted tone throughout the paper. What do you think of it? Good or bad idea? Any other suggestions, comments, references pertinent the topic? (Or even non-pertinent?)

Thanks for bearing with my post-stress semi-withdrawal symptoms. You can now go back to reading more funny/more informative threads.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drazgal
Geek
Member # 984

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 22, 2004 15:27      Profile for Drazgal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just referance every Dilbert strip you can think of, you cant go wrong with Dilbert.

I think Steve McConnel had something good on the subject in one of his books, cant remember which book though [Frown]

Posts: 154 | From: Dundee, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2004 09:24      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should open it with a quote from Hubert J. Farnsworth

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted April 23, 2004 13:09      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or Micheal Moore

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted April 23, 2004 13:34      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the input, but Farnsworth and Moore aren't going to do it. It's a cultural thing - Futurama has just begun being shown in French, and Moore seems very US-centric, so it could confuse the teacher more than show a point.

I might use Dilbert, though. That is, if I decide that a humoristic format has chances enough to be well received. All grad papers I've read are so serious (and bland), I'm not sure I should go the funny road. I may go light-hearted only in the introduction and conclusion, and stay university-serious for the innards.

(Or I may submit two versions, and ask the teacher to grade the one he prefers. But that means more work, and I may not have the time.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2004 07:33      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no no, you need to quote Adams and/or Pratchett (especially the science of discworld ones) those are always good for a laugh.

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture