homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » sufficiently geeky t-shirts?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sufficiently geeky t-shirts?
gawker
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2648

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2004 09:34      Profile for gawker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there, I'm new on this forum. My name is John, and I write oledb code in C++ for a living. Sounds like an AA meeting or something ...

Now, I'm trying very hard not to make this post come off as blatant advertisement, please believe me when I say that's not the intent. Search around if you like, I'm not posting this on every forum I can find (this is the only one, actually). The fact is, I'm having a self-confidence crisis and I need some opinions from like-minded folks. I've always thought I had a reasonably good, if a little quirky, sense of humor. Recently I decided to apply some of that to t-shirt designs. My wife just doesn't get it. My kids don't get it. I'm a little too shy to expose this to my co-workers to get their opinion. So I turn to this forum. I would be thrilled to get feedback on some of these t-shirt designs. Are they funny? Could you see yourself wearing them? Or should I really, really make sure that I stick to my day job? [Smile]

If you want to take a look, they're at http://www.gawkwear.com/products.htm

Thanks in advance, I appreciate your input!

John

[edited to remove the period at the end of the url, so you can click on the darn link]

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2004 10:06      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got a 404 when I went to check it out. Talking about your stuff here isn't a problem as long as you stick around and participate in some of the other conversations. So stick around! [Big Grin]

I'll give feedback on your shirts later.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
gawker
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2648

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2004 10:12      Profile for gawker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
Got a 404 when I went to check it out. Talking about your stuff here isn't a problem as long as you stick around and participate in some of the other conversations. So stick around! [Big Grin]

I'll give feedback on your shirts later.

Thanks for the welcome! I think the period at the end of the url was messing things up, I couldn't just click on it either. Glad you let me know ...
Drazgal
Geek
Member # 984

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2004 10:18      Profile for Drazgal   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many are funny. You need a dont drink and derive one to go with the dont drink and code t shirt though [Smile]

Also Black T Shirts much preferable to white. Check out www.thinkgeek.com if you haven't already to see what it is that you are up against.

Posts: 154 | From: Dundee, United Kingdom | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
gawker
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2648

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2004 10:33      Profile for gawker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drazgal:
Many are funny. You need a dont drink and derive one to go with the dont drink and code t shirt though [Smile]

Also Black T Shirts much preferable to white. Check out www.thinkgeek.com if you haven't already to see what it is that you are up against.

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, I have seen thinkgeek, but I'm just having too much fun to quit just because there's competition out there. Besides, I have no illusions of conquering the apparel industry. This is more of a hobby than a profitable business.

I agree that black is better. But white is risk free for me. The folks at zazzle.com who actually print the t-shirt use some digital technology that allows them to print on demand. The downside is that you need a pale colored t-shirt. To print on black, I would have to go to a silkscreen printer, and order a minimum amount of inventory. If any of the design start getting popular, I will do that of course. The print on demand approach allows me to explore the market, if you will.

See this is why I get involved in little side projects all the time. It's so fun to learn about other industries.

J.

Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted April 07, 2004 10:54      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually laugh at a couple of them. I like "have you hugged a geek today", "I manage freakin' primadonnas", and have a little something for "in my world 1+1=10" and "This shirt intentionally left blank".

If I am allowed a little constructive comment, you could work on the 'toons a little more so they won't look like they are coming from a standard gif library.

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
gawker
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2648

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2004 11:10      Profile for gawker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
I actually laugh at a couple of them. I like "have you hugged a geek today", "I manage freakin' primadonnas", and have a little something for "in my world 1+1=10" and "This shirt intentionally left blank".

If I am allowed a little constructive comment, you could work on the 'toons a little more so they won't look like they are coming from a standard gif library.

Hey, I noticed you're from Gatineau (osti). I grew up in Ottawa and bought my first house in Aylmer, which I guess is part of Gatineau now.

Well, you've touched on the most challenging part of this whole project. Basically, I *really* suck at drawing, and judging from your comment, it shows. Even though they may look like they're from a gif library, most of those are hand drawn. Sometimes I'll cheat a little and maybe trace over a face or something that I'm even more useless at than normal. Sticking to words only would probably be a little too blah.

I'll try to spend more effort on the drawings, thanks for the feedback. Maybe some day I'll be able to afford a professional illustrator!!

John

Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2004 11:39      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(You're right, Aylmer is now Gatineau, secteur Aylmer.)

But about your drawing abilities, maybe you could just spend some time developing your own style.

For example, I'm not too bad at realistic drawing, much better at stylized drawing, and quite good at technical drawing, but my cartoons just plain suck. So when I have to design something, I start from one of the techniques I am good at, and work from there.

So I think you just have to find your drawing strenght(s); then you can redo your cartoons.

Or that's my point of view. 'Real' artists (well, more artist than me) may give you other tricks.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
gawker
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2648

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2004 11:58      Profile for gawker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
But about your drawing abilities, maybe you could just spend some time developing your own style.

For example, I'm not too bad at realistic drawing, much better at stylized drawing, and quite good at technical drawing, but my cartoons just plain suck. So when I have to design something, I start from one of the techniques I am good at, and work from there.

So I think you just have to find your drawing strenght(s); then you can redo your cartoons.

My own style? My drawing strengths? Ok, stay tuned for the new GawkWear line of stick people drawings! :)

Say, that may not be such a bad idea, actually.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted April 07, 2004 12:22      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ROFL! [Big Grin] I love the "He who hesitates is fragged", and the "Will test software for food".

Being a video game tester by trade (sometimes -- I hate being a contractor) those both have a special place in my heart.

Very nice. [thumbsup] Keep it up.

Edit: Oh, about the art -- you know, if you ask really nicely, perhaps a geeky artist or three might be willing to give you a drawing or two for cheap if you let them keep the copyright and give credit where it's due...

--Flash, gamer geek and artist

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
gawker
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2648

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2004 12:39      Profile for gawker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flashfire:
ROFL! [Big Grin] I love the "He who hesitates is fragged", and the "Will test software for food".

Being a video game tester by trade (sometimes -- I hate being a contractor) those both have a special place in my heart.

Very nice. [thumbsup] Keep it up.

Edit: Oh, about the art -- you know, if you ask really nicely, perhaps a geeky artist or three might be willing to give you a drawing or two for cheap if you let them keep the copyright and give credit where it's due...

--Flash, gamer geek and artist

Wow, thanks. There's my feel-good for the day.

Video game tester, huh? I've often wondered if that's not perhaps THE perfect job. You must get that a lot. Grass is always greener, I suppose.

About getting artists on the cheap - I've thought about it, but I really hate the thought of perhaps being a little on the exploitive side. I dunno, maybe it's a personal hang-up of mine. Well, never say never, I'll see how far along I get with this project, and keep that idea in mind.

Thanks again,
John

Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2004 13:21      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a thought...If your gonna 'advertise' (which ain't very cool IMHO) here you could at least put a link to GC on your site.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
gawker
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2648

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2004 13:43      Profile for gawker   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
Just a thought...If your gonna 'advertise' (which ain't very cool IMHO) here you could at least put a link to GC on your site.

It is the fear of this type of reaction that made me hesitate and navel-gaze for so long before posting. The moment a project has the dreaded 'commercial' attribute, it seems there is nowhere you can go to talk to someone about your stuff without it coming off as spam. I understand the reaction, don't get me wrong. I hate when people come on a forum with fluff just to promote their business with a HUGE signature on every post. That's why I made sure to keep my signature empty, and not go and post this same message on every computer related forum on the web. But damn it, I wanted some feedback! I'm not sure how I could have handled it better, frankly. Other than not asking at all, I guess. Crap.

Oh well, if there's a moderator out there who considers this to be borderline spam, then by all means blow away the thread. Sorry to anyone I may have pissed off by starting this thread.

littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2004 16:22      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, don't worry about it. It seems pretty on-topic to me. The Cap'n can be a bit 'twitchy' sometimes. His troll filter is set too high in my opinion.

Fairly nice shirts. I like the ""this shirt left blank" one best.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2004 17:30      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I quite liked the "will test code for food" one, since I'm currently a tester by trade.

As for the commercial side, as PB said, if you hang around, and contribute to some of the other threads, then I don't think anyone will be bothered. It's just that we've seen people in the past only ever post commercial type stuff, in a single thread, and then disappear. But you don't seem like that, so welcome!

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture