homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Going on a church retreat!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Going on a church retreat!
Lumina Manson
Assimilated
Member # 1868

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted March 26, 2004 03:10      Profile for Lumina Manson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's that time of the year again where I go away for three days and two nights to teach others the love of God! This is my first year being a councler for one of these, and it's going to be super fun! What's more, my little brother is even being dragged to be there! Super cool! [Cool]
Our stay will be at Malibu Canyon in Southern California, where we will be spending our days with nature away from T.V., radios, internet, and (depending on how many people follow this rule) cell phones! So you will all notice my absence for three days, and jump for joy in not having to even notice my assinine posts! [Big Grin]
Everytime I leave for even one day, these posts change dramatically, but I'm willing to do it for a quest from God. Maybe I can change my wicked wicked ways. [Wink] These retreats don't happen often enough. They're only once every six months and, if you're lucky, you get to go on two more in the summer.
Wish me and my little bro safety and joy!

--Goodness!, C.P.

--------------------
ThE CrEeP sHoW It's called therapy: go get some!

Posts: 487 | From: The rainbow room, USA (Baldwin Park) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 05:51      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A weekend without phones, internet, etc? I don't think I could cope!

Seriously, hope this is a good opportunity for you both, enjoy it, and hope you learn heaps!

/me is half tempted to threadjack with a story from last night (why do weird things always happen to me? I'm not making them up, I swear!). I was visiting a (male) minister friend who's staying at a place that's being turned into a church retreat (see, there's a vague connection to the thread!). It was just the two of us there, and we decided to get ready for bed, and have a port before retiring. I knew from previous camps etc that he sleeps naked, but I was a little surprised when he turned up that way for the pre bedtime drinks. I'm 100% sure he wasn't trying to crack onto me, so I don't know what that's all about.

-- Isn't that weird?, TIMN

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 08:05      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't get sick!
eDJ
Geek
Member # 1950

Icon 10 posted March 26, 2004 10:44      Profile for eDJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
csk, there was for a time in my area a naturalist church where everyone attended naked. The idea of sleeping nude for some is still the only way, but sitting at the computer nude is gaining on it I hear. As for showing up for drinks when it isn't clothing optional...well it's a bit presumptous....but maybe the thirst for some good port won out. Every good naturalist shouldn't be without a towel. I generally consume some generic red semi sweet vino each night just before hitting the sack, as a couple ounces of it is good for you.(1 Timothy 6:23)

The church retreats I remember were strange fun.
The girls "dorm" bunk house was nearly five hundred feet away from the boys with the main buildings in between. Lumina, you make it sound as if you are going to treat your little bro to his first flogging there. Perhaps drive the evil out of him? When the retreat is all done you may wish to visit the Public Library and check out a copy of Mark Twains, "Letters from the Earth" and
reflect back on the experience. (if nothing else it makes a good book report in school)

[Happytears] I'll miss ya...hurry home soon!

eDJ

--------------------
I don't give a shit...I don't take any shit. I'm not in the shit business.

Posts: 131 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted March 26, 2004 14:22      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have fun, Lumina!

BTW, great new avatar. [thumbsup] Congrats on going solid.

--Flash, who is considering a membership, really

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 26, 2004 14:34      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
BTW, great new avatar. Congrats on going solid.
YEAH your avatar ROCKS!

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 15:04      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
I was visiting a (male) minister friend who's staying at a place that's being turned into a church retreat (see, there's a vague connection to the thread!). It was just the two of us there, and we decided to get ready for bed, and have a port before retiring. I knew from previous camps etc that he sleeps naked, but I was a little surprised when he turned up that way for the pre bedtime drinks. I'm 100% sure he wasn't trying to crack onto me, so I don't know what that's all about.

-- Isn't that weird?, TIMN

Thank you for confirming my earlier remarks about how dense geek males are when they're being pursued.

The guy turns up naked and carrying a bottle of booze, and you still don't catch on !

/me has a whole new respect for any geekette who manages to get her man.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dr Cyclops
Assimilated
Member # 986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 18:20      Profile for Dr Cyclops   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wicked good avatar!

FYI, I make the asinine posts around here!

--------------------
When the W'rkncacnter came, Pthia was killed, and Yrro in anger, flung the W'rkncacnter into the sun. The sun burned them, but they swam on its surface.

Posts: 499 | From: Upon the slab, Unbroken. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted March 26, 2004 23:21      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Cyclops:
Wicked good avatar!

FYI, I make the asinine posts around here!

as·i·nine: Of, relating to, or resembling an ass

Yes, yes you do.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dr Cyclops
Assimilated
Member # 986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2004 16:28      Profile for Dr Cyclops   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since we have the dictionary out:

Cap'n = Captain?

a person of importance or influence in a feild.

Vic = vicious?

1. having the nature or quality of vice or immorality:(depraved)

2. Defective, Faulty; also: Invalid

3. Impure, Noxious.

4. a. dangerously aggressive: savage
b. marked by violence < a ~ troll.>

--------------------
When the W'rkncacnter came, Pthia was killed, and Yrro in anger, flung the W'rkncacnter into the sun. The sun burned them, but they swam on its surface.

Posts: 499 | From: Upon the slab, Unbroken. | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2004 16:52      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you two can't play nice, I'll send you both to bed without any dinner!

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted March 27, 2004 16:53      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr Cyclops: single most compelling argument that people should require a license to use the Internet.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Dr Cyclops
Assimilated
Member # 986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2004 17:12      Profile for Dr Cyclops   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If you two can't play nice, I'll send you both to bed without any dinner!
I follow buddist "moderation with respect to food". (two meals a day, no dinner) [Razz] I will voluntarily surrender my evening tea until this is resolved.

On that note, I would like to thank csk and GMx for pointing out when I get out of line!

preemptive antitrolling is trolling and preemtive war is cowardice.

--------------------

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2004 10:06      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Cyclops:
I follow buddist "moderation with respect to food". (two meals a day, no dinner) [Razz] I will voluntarily surrender my evening tea until this is resolved.

If I tried that they'd find me crouched on the floor with my head spinning. Right after I got uncharacteristically bitchy with someone.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2004 10:56      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buddhist.
The word is spelt "Buddhist".
1d10t.

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 28, 2004 11:53      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I think he's more of a "buddist", if you know what I mean. [crazy] [Wink]
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2004 12:11      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
No, I think he's more of a "buddist", if you know what I mean. [crazy] [Wink]

I don't.
Neither do I wish to.

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dr Cyclops
Assimilated
Member # 986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2004 16:49      Profile for Dr Cyclops   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a Taoist anyway. The olny buds I have are orchids.

Maybe being non-confrontational is not the way to go.

<homestar>
Hey, Crapface!
Why doncha blow it out your ear!
</homestar>

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 29, 2004 00:58      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, Lumina, how was it? (dragging this thread somewhere near back on topic for once [Smile] )

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Lumina Manson
Assimilated
Member # 1868

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 29, 2004 01:06      Profile for Lumina Manson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See, ^^^^this^^^^ is why I don't like leaving in the first place! [Razz] J/K
My church retreat was AWESOME!!! A lot of veterans (such as moi) are saying that this was the best retreat EVER! This is ironic because a lot of people were having melt-downs because of the planning involved, but everything went off without a hitch, Thanks be to God!
The theme was "A Walk With Jesus". There were testamonies on living a Christ-like life that really got to everyone. There was even one from a guy I dated, and I dated this guy for a year and I NEVER knew how eliquent and well-spoken he could be when prompted! The powerful parts of the three days came down to the confessions, the adoration, and the Passion play that was put on. Each teen recieved a CD of Christian rock music and a lovely shirt at the end of the retreat!
There were only a few let-downs: my little brother chickened out at the last minute and did not come to the retreat. [Frown] (On God's time, not ours I suppose) My brother (from another mother) got into some trouble when he led some teens on a four-hour hike into rattle snake infested canyons. And the same brother, the guy I dated, and this other guy got into a chocolate milk drinking contests, and, well, let's just say they were all losers. [Embarrassed]
I feel a change, and I'm going to try to be a better Lumi than I've been. It's a good thing I suppose. I am glad to be back with all my geeky friends and I did also spread the word of Geek Culture cuz I'm cool like that. My math-crazy friend might check this site out! Yay! [Big Grin] I'm glad to be back with my comp, my cell phone, my musica, and my kitty! (Who's still prego and FAT! OMGoodness, she's FAT!!!!!)

--Blessed be His name, C.P.

--------------------
ThE CrEeP sHoW It's called therapy: go get some!

Posts: 487 | From: The rainbow room, USA (Baldwin Park) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture