homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Do you speak elf?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you speak elf?
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2004 08:58      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, do you?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3532003.stm

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2004 09:06      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well my intitials spell elf and I speak. Does that count. [Smile]
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2004 09:30      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got me teef on the National 'Elf, does that count?

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2004 11:04      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, but some say I speak perfect Troll.
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted March 04, 2004 11:25      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would it help if I ate Lucky Charms? Oh wait, thats a leprechaun [ohwell]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2004 13:10      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shouldn't that be Elvish?

I've seen TTT enough times that I'm starting to pick up a few little bits of Elvish. I particularly like Legolas's line during Helms deep (the "we're all going to die" one). It sounds vaguely like " ... dagor nassa dagathya". I just love the sound of the line.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2004 13:18      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I don't speak Elvish, but if any of you geekettes want to learn, I know where you could pick up a little pocket money ...... [Razz]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10700 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2004 13:33      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
No, I don't speak Elvish, but if any of you geekettes want to learn, I know where you could pick up a little pocket money ...... [Razz]

I'm not a geekette, but some of my alternate personalities are. Where do I sign up? [Wink]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2004 14:11      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
I've seen TTT enough times that I'm starting to pick up a few little bits of Elvish. I particularly like Legolas's line during Helms deep (the "we're all going to die" one). It sounds vaguely like " ... dagor nassa dagathya". I just love the sound of the line.

I'm just glad he had the courtesy to freak out in something only Aragorn could understand. Had he had his little fit in English or Rohhirc there might have been a panic.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2004 14:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:
Originally posted by csk:

I'm just glad he had the courtesy to freak out in something only Aragorn could understand. Had he had his little fit in English or Rohhirc there might have been a panic.
Yes, it annoyed me somewhat when Aragorn switched the conversation into Common. Surely he should have been aware of the importance of maintaining morale, and understood how bad it would look when the 'heroes' started freaking out.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10700 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted March 05, 2004 00:58      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
Well, do you?

not fluently, but i'm getting close. i have the authorized grammar layout and dictionary of all of tolkien's languages...but i'm sorely disappointed in the movies' lack of roh, the language of the people of rohan. it's my favorite. [Big Grin]
illuminatus
Geek
Member # 2187

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2004 05:49      Profile for illuminatus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not Elf, Elvish, or anything else. It's called Quenya

--------------------
-illumina+us
http://illuminatus.oczombies.net/
I suck at life IRL

Posts: 124 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2004 10:49      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, actually, most of the Elvish in the movies (and books) is Sindarin. Quenya is the Latin of Middle Earth - written and almost never spoken, used by scholars and almost no one else.
Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture