homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Your News!   » Kickin' it Old School (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Kickin' it Old School
NefariousAnthony
Geek
Member # 1720

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2003 13:49      Profile for NefariousAnthony   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My DSL is down [Mad]
So, in lieu of my high speed connection, I'm kickin' it old shcool with some mad dial-up action. It only makes me reflect back on the glory days of 33.6 Kbps AOL, man did it suck.

Posts: 201 | From: The Deep South, y'all | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
schnurren
Geek
Member # 1571

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2003 15:27      Profile for schnurren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
remember the days when your computer would boot you from the internet when the phone rang? and how long it took for the computer to dial and make fizzy sounds? hmmm.. strange the things that make you feel old
Posts: 184 | From: PA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2003 16:28      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<yorkshiremen>33KBPS, luxury. I cut my teeth on remote access in the days when men were real men, and the best you got was 110BPS.<yorkshiremen>
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sinn
Mini Geek
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted April 15, 2003 16:45      Profile for Sinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GOD!! Make it stop! You've brought back all the memories!

SQUEEEEEEESKWA-AHCK-ACHK-MUHWEEEEEEEEEEE-SCHUUUUH

That horrid screeching noise!

I'm so glad my dial-up days are over.

You don't know what life is until you see an MP3 come flying at you at 250 KB/s

--------------------
Sin is a dangerous toy in the hands of the virtuous. It should be left to the congenitally sinful, who know when to play with it and when to let it alone.

Posts: 64 | From: Kerhonkson, NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
GeekAvenger
Assimilated
Member # 1895

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2003 18:22      Profile for GeekAvenger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hah!!!

I've still got a 56k and IT'S WORKING JUST FI

*GeekAvenger has logged out.

*GeekAvenger has logged in

SEE IT'S JUST FIN..........

*connection severed [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Geekier Than Thou. I think academically so therefore I'm a geek?

Ah the wonders of the crowd.

Posts: 485 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sinn
Mini Geek
Member # 2111

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2003 18:47      Profile for Sinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The day I got my cable connected I called out from work and sat in front of my desk the entire day with this biggass grin on my face.

It was amazing to not have to see all kinds of lag warnings whenever I played online games.

**SERVER WARNING: YOUR LAG IS TOO HIGH (759ms)**
**SERVER WARNING: YOUR LAG IS TOO HIGH (868ms)**
**SERVER WARNING: YOUR LAG IS TOO HIGH (639ms)**

**YOU HAVE BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM THE SERVER DUE TO EXCESSIVE LAG: YOU WERE WARNED THREE TIMES**

--------------------
Sin is a dangerous toy in the hands of the virtuous. It should be left to the congenitally sinful, who know when to play with it and when to let it alone.

Posts: 64 | From: Kerhonkson, NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2003 22:32      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh* I remember the old days of connecting to CompuServe on a 300 baud modem on the XT, and then at 19.2kb/s on the 386 (Win3.1). Back in the 386 days, I tried out an AOL floppy, and it was actually useful, as it offered all 'free' (not surcharged) content, as opposed to all the Extra-cost parts of cserve. Back then, using the Internet was a near impossibility. For awhile, I maintained both services at home (when AOL was being sued over the whole busy-signal bit), using a home-brewed VB2 app to switch my winsock.dll, and I went from Mosaic to Netscape to IE 3. Hmm, what a trip down memory lane... that is "Kickin' it Old School." [Wink] I really need to resurrect the 386 - it's just unplugged sitting against a wall. I am debating whether to run it as is, or load Debian || BSD (I think I should try it sometime) onto it. Maybe I can dual boot, and put an extra (old) HD into it.

Now I'm connecting using my Debian laptop, connected to my router, which is connecting to the cloud at insanely great speeds. I don't think I could have ever dreamed I'd be doing what I'm doing right now with my computer - and that it would look *so good* - I could just about eat these AA fonts (Xft-enabled Phoenix is a very good thing).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 12 posted April 15, 2003 22:36      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<Nelson>

HA - HAAA !!

</Nelson>

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2003 00:44      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GeekAvenger:
Hah!!!

Sounds like you on IRC... [Big Grin]

I remember logging on to the internet on my dad's DEC computer, using something called "vax" or something...? I just remember that there were lots of instructions and passwords written on a piece of paper taped to the monitor. I can't even remember what I did online back then... probably looked up books on the SUNY University library system. It was all very mysterious...

Posts: 491 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2003 05:49      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I remember logging on to the internet on my dad's DEC computer, using something called "vax" or something...?
<Keanu>Woah!</Keanu>

DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation, which was acquired by Compaq, which then merged with Hewlett Packard) made a line of computers called the "Vax" back in the '70s and '80s. These machines could run either VMS (DEC's proprietary OS) or Ultrix (a Unix derivative, basically BSD).

I haven't seen much of VMS, for which I'm quite grateful. The little I've seen of it revolted me, although I once worked with some people who swore by it instead of at it. But even a brief exposure to it made me realize that this was where Microsoft got a lot of its MS-DOS command syntax. (The use of forward slashes for options, as in DIR /W, is a dead giveaway. As is the HELP command syntax, although of course DOS no longer comes with a HELP command by default, as of Windows 95. I guess it made computing too easy, and that's antithetical to Microsoft's world domination policy, which is to make computing as difficult as possible, except for activities which produce money for Microsoft, which are made as easy as possible.)

But the Vax itself was actually quite cool for its day. It was the first widely used 32-bit system, I think. It also featured virtual memory, meaning you could swap processes out to disk to make room for extra programs in memory, instead of having to worry about how many processes could run at once. Of course, VM is quite standard in all modern operating systems, and the modern implementations are more advanced, but back then it was revolutionary. For a while, the Vax machines (colloquially "Vaxen") were fairly close to ubiquitous at universities. In fact, the widespread availability of 32-bit registers and virtual memory led to a lot of cleaner -- or lazier -- Unix programs. Some of you may have heard the expression "All the world's a Vax", because a lot of programs from that era blithely assumed certain features, like the size of an int variable, which are not safe to assume. And with virtual memory, some programmers stopped checking the results of memory allocation functions (malloc and friends), because generally speaking they never failed on Unix. But when these programs were ported to limited platforms like the PC or Mac, they had to be altered pretty radically. It was like stepping back in time. [Wink]

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2003 06:35      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DEC started making VAX's in the mid 70s. The architecture was a follow on to the very succusful PDP-11 series. The top of the line 11 was the 11/70 - the first VAX was the 11/780. (VAX itself means "Virtual Address eXtension"). It only ran VMS originally. A few years later the ATT people ported Unix from the PDP-11 to the VAX. So did the people at Berkeley. Only after DEC realized that people were buying an aweful lot of VAXes without VMS and putting Unix on them, did they put out Ultrix.

MSDOS did not derive from VMS, but rather from CP/M, which borrowed a lot of syntax and command names from earlier DEC operating systems like TOPS-10 (for the DEC 10 series) and RT-11 (for the PDP-11). There were a bunch of OSes you could get for the PDP-11, one of which was RSX-11. VMS borrows heavily from RSX-11, which is natural, because the architect for both was Dave Cutler.

Dave and DEC had a falling out for some reason and he sold his soul to Microsoft. There he was the product lead for Windows NT. NT, of course, borrows heavily from VMS.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2003 07:38            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

IP: Logged
evilbibo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2003 07:55            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember having a modem for our Commadore 64, we never connected to many things, just a library I think. We used to dial home phone numbers on it and listen to the person on the other end yelling "hello! who's there?!" Not really sure why we decided we needed the modem back then, they must have told my parents we should have it. Now that I think of it we bought the computer at K-Mart!
Jessycat

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted April 16, 2003 08:14      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
greycat and quantumfluff:

Thanks so much for all the VAX/DEC info!!!
My dad worked for DEC for 30 years, as a Field Service Engineer, from around 1968 to 1996 (I think.) Our house actually was the Binghamton NY office of DEC until they got around to leasing some office space. My mom says someone would come around every few weeks or so and take inventory.
I really really really wish I had paid more attention to all that stuff in our basement ( and in the living room... and the dining room... [crazy] )
Instead, I'm almost completely dependent on Windows. BUT with one Linux class under my belt, I'm slowly staggering toward the light. [Smile]

Posts: 491 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
raydreams
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 16, 2003 09:17            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2003 10:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
qf:
code:
#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;

my $os="VMS";
$os=~y/[A-Z]/[B-ZA]/;
print "$os\n";

Why use pseudo-code when you can do it in perl in 5 lines (~3-4 if I did sloppier work)?

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
NefariousAnthony
Geek
Member # 1720

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 16, 2003 14:54      Profile for NefariousAnthony   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, finally. Its up again, and thus no longer a need to kick it old school. Now, back to my Sims!
Posts: 201 | From: The Deep South, y'all | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2003 12:25      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be doing old school for a while yet. My dad has finally gotten annoyed at our computer use to the point that he wants DSL just so he can use the phone. But he's not going to get it until the credit cards are paid off. Which means it probably won't be around until after I move. And then it will be public access only for me. Woo hoo! Gotta love the library.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
SpikeSpiegel
Member # 1452

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2003 20:46      Profile for SpikeSpiegel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NefariousAnthony:
Alright, finally. Its up again, and thus no longer a need to kick it old school. Now, back to my Sims!

why would you need high speed internet for the sims?

sims are single player game.. unless you are talking about The Sims Online.. most expensive online chat room in existence [Wink]

--------------------
its been a while

Posts: 3090 | From: Boston | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted April 23, 2003 20:50      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm
All morning I was on 14.4kbps connection
for the next few days i'm on 56k (beats 14. [Wink] )
Bah
[Frown]

Fixerbob
Alpha Geek
Member # 1587

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted April 24, 2003 14:57      Profile for Fixerbob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*interupts contemplation*

You's young 'us haven't lived 'til you have had a session with a modem connected via an acoustic coupler !

*goes back to counting rice grains*

Posts: 301 | From: London, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 8 posted April 24, 2003 16:05      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NefariousAnthony:
My DSL is down [Mad]
So, in lieu of my high speed connection, I'm kickin' it old shcool with some mad dial-up action. It only makes me reflect back on the glory days of 33.6 Kbps AOL, man did it suck.

fukn verizumm cut my dsl last friday, citing "billing issues" [Mad]
straightened out the same day but i'm still waiting for dsl to get back on [Mad]
earliest they said is the 28th [Mad]
bastards...

quote:
Originally posted by tafkact:
<Nelson>

HA - HAAA !!

</Nelson>

fscking dammit..., back to dial up via netzero for now

<homer>
d'oh!
</homer>

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mindzeye5
Geek Apprentice
Member # 978

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted April 25, 2003 20:59      Profile for Mindzeye5   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember the good old days when the AOL floppies flowed like water and you could reformat them for whatever you wanted...
Times have changed and now AOL CDs are more ubiquitous than Starbuck's. There are a few people bravely rebelling against AOL, nomoreaolcds.com, help them out by sending them your unwanted CDs.
I have 871, but I'm waiting for at least 1,000 before I deliver them.

--------------------
To sleep, perchance to dream. Ay, there's the rub...

http://24.4.195.179/ hardcore geeks don't need domain names

Posts: 46 | From: Carnegie Mellon, Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
addiew
Uber Geek
Member # 2140

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2003 22:04      Profile for addiew   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ahh the days when I had 14k... I love my sweet sweet T3

--------------------
My LiveJournal|homepage- shameless, I know

Posts: 823 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
GeekAvenger
Assimilated
Member # 1895

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2003 03:59      Profile for GeekAvenger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jessycat:
quote:
Originally posted by GeekAvenger:
Hah!!!

Sounds like you on IRC... [Big Grin]

It wasn't ME is was THE EVIL REGISTRATION....uhhhh.....THINGY!!!!

IT IS EVIL, IT WANT TO EAT OUR BANDWIDTH!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Geekier Than Thou. I think academically so therefore I'm a geek?

Ah the wonders of the crowd.

Posts: 485 | From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture