homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » Guys, Guys, Guys!   » Are there any NORMAL men left??? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Are there any NORMAL men left???
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2008 19:21      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WARNING!!! LONG POST!!!!
Okay, so last night was my friends Bday, and we decided to go up to the local bar and grill and catch a bite to eat and poke fun at the people trying to sing karaoke. As I scanned the room, I noticed a very attractive man at the bar. So, I checked for a ring, looked for a girlfriend lingering around, asked my friend if she approved, and it was game on! I shot him a glance, played with my hair a little, batted my baby blues, and he made his way to our table. He offered to by us a drink, and I thought wow, this could be a good night:) As we started the small talk, and I told him I was still in school, he told me he regretted never getting to go to college, because he started a family. Ten minutes later he told me he was a psych major in college and I thought hmmm...no biggie, he's had a few drinks *starring into his pretty brown eyes* Then he started yelling for the band to play "Free Bird" and I was okay with that also *starring at his pretty smile* I was even okay with him pulling out his lighter and holding it up when they played "Every rose has it's thorn" But, I had to draw the line when his aunt came over and told him she would see him at the house later. Then he admitted to living with his aunt, is in between jobs, and has no car. Hmmm...sounding like a real winner now! I am not a snob, by no means, but something has to be wrong if you are 39, unemployed, and living with your family still. What a waste of a perfectly good Y chromosome:( So, I looked at my watch, and told him I had to get going, he asked for the digits, and I did what any normal girl would do. I gave it to him...867-5309 [Smile]
*You young ones may not understand*

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2008 20:16      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When he asked your name, did you tell him "Jenny"?

As for the unemployment thing, what, exactly, did he tell the reason was? Or, did he not give one?

As for what's wrong with men, I believe you pointed it out near the end of your post. It begins with Y and ends with chromosome. That, and we fail to mature much past about 8 years of age. Other than that, not much is wrong with men. Although, I'm sure there are men who would say that what's wrong with them is the double-X chromosome. [Razz]

But, I wouldn't be one of those.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2008 22:58      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess all the handsome, unmarried, unattached doctors, movie-stars and dot-com billionaires were lookin' for love in the bar and grill across the street.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2008 23:39      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Argh...I hate the "NORMAL men" thing - is there an ISO definition of a "normal" man? (/me is recently reminded of ISO 3103 - the standard test of tea. =P)

I was going to say something about the guy and/or the situation, but let me not be one to cast stones...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2008 04:34      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe......

He's unemployed because he just sold his own IT company for $5 billion

He lives with his Aunt because she needs some protection following her divorce from a violent psycho

he doesn't have a car because he uses his powerful leg muscles to cycle everywhere

See... he was just testing you to see what sort of person you are.

Obvious, really. [Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2008 04:54      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See, you guys got me all wrong. I am hardly the money grubbing type. I really wouldn't care what type of job he did, as long as he held one. But he already started with the lies, was I being too superficial? Maybe I have just become too particular in the last few years. Anyway, I'm taking a break from looking for a while, it's way too time consuming [ohwell]

--------------------

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2008 05:35      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GG,

You assume there were normal men to begin with. There are no normal men. All are very special. Some are very special, some extraordinary, others especially annoying.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2008 06:38      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gg - I wasn't suggesting that you are a money-grubber...... just a tad too optimistic. [Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2008 07:19      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with CP and the rest,

We aren't "normal" and never will be. I think what the problem is that all the men that most women think are handsome at a bar usually have a bad personality and are like what you describe. You just need to find yourself in a situation where you can find a guy with an awesome personality who isn't shrek but probably isn't an orlando bloom (or whoever you girls now adays are drooling over [Smile] )

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2008 08:13      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh*

Everyone is getting hung up on this "normal" thing, and while I agree that perhaps your choice of words could possibly be interpreted in a negative connotation, I think maybe we need to tone down the fire of this topic just a tad.

I think that when you say "normal," what you're really intending to describe are the traits of kindness and honesty. Sadly it seems these traits are sorely lacking in our society today. Quite contrary to how you used "normal," the traits of dishonesty and greed are far more normal (that is, representative of a median sample of the male population) than the more desirable traits you seek.

There are many men out there that live with honesty and kindness (and many other virtuous traits) in abundance, the do-gooders of the world. It seems, though, that the adage "no good deed goes unpunished" can be applied more and more frequently in our modern times and, as such, the men you seek have, for the most part, gone underground due to the fact that people who are honest, helpful, and kind are often squashed and trampled under the feet of the self-centered, dishonest, and greedy. Indeed, dishonesty and greed are the virtues of capitalism, and it greatly rewards those who practice them.

Honest, kind, caring men are out there, but most of them aren't in bars!

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2008 08:34      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The most basic problem between men and women is brain structure/thought processes. The brain structures of men and women are different. Men think differently than women, and vice versa. Men and women will look at something (an issue, painting, etc.) and see it from the exact opposite ends of the same spectrum. We might come to the same conclusion, but the routes we take are usually wholly different.

When someone asks "What's wrong with [insert either sex here]?" my question is usually "What's wrong with you?"

In other words, what are you looking for? What are you expecting? Truth is, as long as you know what you want, stick to your guns, and don't expect every, or any, guy with pretty eyes and smile to meet even 1/10 of those expectations. Do that and you'll never need ask "What's wrong with men?"

Why? Because, you'll already expect that 99.9999% of the men you meet won't fulfill any of your expectations. You'll never be disappointed again, and only very happily surprised when you do meet someone who fulfills even a small percentage of your expectations.

Lastly, there's also the thought that like attracts like. So, if you're attracting all the wrong kind of guys, you should ask yourself "Why?" Soul searching can be a bitch, but a helpful bitch.

(Please keep in mind that I write these things not to be an ass, or defend men everywhere, or even create excuses for men. I say these things because I've been there, just from the opposite side of the street. And, the above is what I learned for myself, and the perspective that kept/keeps me sane.)

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2008 08:45      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I can tell you why I attracted that guy. Look at my location, I mean, I was in a karaoke bar for crying out loud. And I wasn't even looking for anyone that night, but his eyes [hearts] I just guess I thought maybe for once I would find someone who I was physically attracted to as well as mentally. It's just impossible for me to find. [shake head]

--------------------

Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2008 08:46      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll go with MMKK, and maybe add my own interpretation. I believe what this goddess meant by normal is someone she can see herself with. She seems to even put up with someone who can lie a bit to impress the girl, as long as he is reliable in the long term. But not someone who will work for a few month, get laid off (or booted out), and stay at home for 6 months, letting his girlfriend bring the food, pay the bills, and probably do the chores, too. She just want an "ordinary" man with whom she could go out with, with a chance to go long term if things go well. Not a lifelong slacker, not a compulsive liar, not a total scumbag, but no need to be a breath-taking beauty, a Nobel contender or a multimillionaire either.

Anyway, that's what I think she meant by "normal", based on my own expectations.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2008 08:51      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stereo, you hit the nail on the head!

MMKK- Your'e right also. I didn't mean for it to come out so negative, sorry bout that guys:) It's actually rather funny to me now.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2008 15:09      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the many differences between men and women: as a general rule, men don't care what their 'bowling partners' do for a living, but women do.

There was a study released a while back that showed men are quite happy to "marry down" (the corporate exec will marry the pretty waitress) but women generally aren't. The two women on a radio show I listen to discussed this puzzling aspect of male behaviour at some length, and never once questioned why women behave the way they do. The whole time I was thinking "Why TF should I care what she does for a living, I'm in love".

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2008 15:56      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
One of the many differences between men and women: as a general rule, men don't care what their 'bowling partners' do for a living, but women do.

Yes...and this really sucks when you're not a firefighter, doctor, veterinarian, lawyer, or rock star. [Wink] :/ (One of those feels like it shouldn't belong, but yet it doe$ $omehow.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2008 16:10      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys we are getting sidetracked - what the geekygoddess asked is are there any NORMAL men left.

Well the answer is clearly yes, just check out my picture on my profile page here for proof. As normal as they come. Without a doubt. And 100% genuine.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2008 09:29      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IT PUTS THE LOTION ON ITS SKIN
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2008 11:09      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha, DNM I just watched that movie the other day, well the Joe Dirt version anyway. OMG, I can not believe I just admitted that [Eek!]

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2008 14:21      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
Haha, DNM I just watched that movie the other day, well the Joe Dirt version anyway. OMG, I can not believe I just admitted that [Eek!]

The /what/ version?

/me goes off in search of some chianti. Might need something to nibble with it, even. [Wink]

--------------------

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2008 14:28      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... maybe some fava beans???

Have you not seen Joe Dirt? They stick him in the hole, well, nevermind... It must be a Tennessee redneck thing:)

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 21, 2008 14:55      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No...I can't say that I've seen it. I seem to recall that's with David Spade, and he's not exactly one of my favorite comedians. Furthermore, I throw that in the category of 'Will Ferrel movie,' and I hate Will Ferrel. More so, I utterly despise "Talladega Nights." It's American cinema at its absolute worst...full on Fox-style!

/me watches as a few women audibly hiss at him...

/coat

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2008 10:17      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________ GeekyGoddess __ A lot depends on how you define NORMAL.

_____Observations of an old man, I have rode this Earth for more than a few orbits of the Sun.

_____What is a Normal man? Ever watch a male dog try to hump your leg? Ever watch a male dog around a female dog? From the time little boys start to grow facial and other hair, they are out of control, or as the Mrs. says ALL MEN ARE DOGS. Three or more times an hour our thoughts turn to sex.

_____So GeekyGoddess you enter a meat market and notice a specimen of the male gender, he notices you. Any method that he can use to get you undressed and on a bed are fair game, so he slipped up here and there in his story, he was trying, "yes he was."

_____The Meat market is not a good place to meet someone for long term friendship and companionship. You seem to want a social point where you are not on the menu, then you have to go to gay bars.

_____Not you, then I suggest places where like people of your interests meet, or the public library, I know only nerds, well they may not be socially hip but they aren't totally trying to play hide the Sausage.

_____Old adage "Meet them in a bar, get left in a bar."

_____I used to lament that I must be using the wrong bait, as I went trolling, or that my worm must have died, then I changed from ponds to rivers, found a real keeper, that was twenty years ago.

_____Also any man that will not roll over and let you drive is a control freak.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2008 10:20      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 or 4 times an hour?!

Amateur.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2008 10:26      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________________ DNF __ I may be an Amateur Radio opperator but I am also an old man, have you read the warnings on the ED pills. Basically when we said we would only do something until we needed glasses, applies to those pills.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture