homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Love!   » Guys, Guys, Guys!   » Why are geek guys afraid of girls? (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: Why are geek guys afraid of girls?
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 15:43      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Head cheese? How about calf's foot jelly or souse--pickled pig's feet? Then there's Junket, a kind of pudding made from rennet, the lining of calves' stomachs.

On Survivor: Pulau they ate whole pre-hatched ducklings raw (after removing the shells). At least all of this is better than eating insects. YUCK!! [evil]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3851 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zargof McBain
Mini Geek
Member # 3856

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 16:05      Profile for Zargof McBain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mel:
Has anyone eaten dog? Some people may be grossed out about eating rabbits for the same reason you might not eat dog or even cat. How about head cheese? **shudder**

No, I've not eaten dog, but I'm not averse to trying it. However, I've heard it doesn't taste very nice.

Head cheese? I've just done a quick google, and found that it is also known as brawn, which is something I've tried before. It doesn't really have much flavour, but I don't like the texture.

--------------------
Smile. It makes people wonder what you're thinking

Posts: 75 | From: A dark place | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zargof McBain
Mini Geek
Member # 3856

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 16:13      Profile for Zargof McBain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Head cheese? How about calf's foot jelly or souse--pickled pig's feet? Then there's Junket, a kind of pudding made from rennet, the lining of calves' stomachs.

On Survivor: Pulau they ate whole pre-hatched ducklings raw (after removing the shells). At least all of this is better than eating insects. YUCK!! [evil]

Rennet is actually used in the making of several cheeses, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I'm not sure how anyone can complain about this sort of stuff, particularly if you've ever eaten sausages...

--------------------

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 16:42      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Mennonite/Amish/German-/Swiss-heritage people in Lancaster County serve pig's stomach on special occasions. Basically, you wash and clean the stomach of a pig, then fill it with a mixture of cubed potatoes, sausage, onions, seasonings, and bake it until it is thoroughly cooked. It's quite good. Beef tongue and mustard sandwiches are delicious, as are kidney sandwiches (bread, marg./butter, sliced cooked kidney, and a light sprinkling of salt).

Oh, and just in case anyone was wondering, intestines aren't typically used as casings for sausages anymore. An edible synthetic casing is used instead. (At least in Pennsylvania.)

--------------------

Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 17:15      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
I'm a member of PETA -- People who Eat Tasty Animals

There's room for all God's creatures...Right next to my mashed potatoes.
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 17:20      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
I'm a member of PETA -- People who Eat Tasty Animals

There's room for all God's creatures...Right next to my mashed potatoes.
You got that right, lady! I don't care a great deal for vegetarians - they never have enough fat on them to make the gravy with.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 17:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
I don't care a great deal for vegetarians - they never have enough fat on them to make the gravy with.

Well, I'm starting to understand why most girls are afraid of geek guys [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 18:07      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
You got that right, lady! I don't care a great deal for vegetarians - they never have enough fat on them to make the gravy with.

HAHAHAHA! That was good [Big Grin]

I'd rather eat bugs than gross innards. Apparently McDonald's puts meal worm in their burgers. I think on average people consume 8 spiders in their life, the majority in your sleep because they'll crawl up your nose. I'm nost sure if I believe that one though.

That tongue sandwich sounded pretty gross. Would feel like frenching your meal, wouldn't it?

Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 18:21      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Has anyone eaten dog? Some people may be grossed out about eating rabbits for the same reason you might not eat dog or even cat. How about head cheese? **shudder**

No....but I've eaten my fair share of pussy....

Ba-dum-pish

/here all week, try veal, tip waitress

I did eat rattle snake once...and have eaten ground squirrel (like the AY2K prarie dog) which is some sort of delicacy with the natives here. Also larger game like buffalo/bison , caribou, moose and elk....Like beef, I won't kill or butcher it, but I will eat it.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 18:44      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only animal I think I could kill is a fish (unless one was attacking me, of course). I don't know why I could kill a fish...maybe the lack of emotion in the face that makes me more at ease with doing it? The strangest things I've eaten were duck and buffalo. I think I've had deer sausage once. Would like to try them all!
OhMyGoddessSixx
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3858

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 19:56      Profile for OhMyGoddessSixx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
No....but I've eaten my fair share of pussy....
ROFL Cap'n, you're too funny. As far as myself responding to that comment, I plead the 5th.

Commenting on the geek guy/girl thing--Trying to interact with the human male species is a strange trip indeed, especially in my neck of the woods. This may sound stereotypical, but the guys around here suck--nothing but wannabe cowboys with loud trucks, drink beer like it's going out of style and chew tobacco. Yuck. Even though I question why I bother with the whole mating/dating game, I still find myself going down that weird road over and over again. This is part of the reason why I do not intend to marry. I have way too much fun being single but somewhat attached.

Commenting on vegetarian thing--I'm an omnivore, and I am just fine with that.

Finally, commenting on weird and sickening food--I have a question. Does man chowder count as a food? [evil]

See ya.

OMG6

--------------------
"You may be a lover, but you ain't no dancer!"

Posts: 42 | From: The 7th Level Of Hell aka East Wenatchee, WA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 20:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably the strangest thing I'v eaten is flamingo, and I don't recommend it, oily and kinda soapy.

Then there's the usual stuff, crocodile, kangaroo, piranha, wildebeest, zebra, eland, impala, snake, guinea-pig.....

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 20:39      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reminds me of the "Minute Mystery" we learned in 7th grade:

A man walks into a restaurant and orders albatross. After eating one bite, he leaves the restaurant and kills himself. Why?

Using close-ended questions (answered by "yes" or "no"), gather enough information to answer the original question.

--------------------

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 20:58      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh. I remember that. Took me way too long to figure out, IIRC.
Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 21:02      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It didn't take us quite as long as it did to figure out "Bang."

(That's all our teacher gave us: Bang. What happened?)

--------------------

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 21:21      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OhMyGoddessSixx:
This may sound stereotypical, but the guys around here suck--nothing but wannabe cowboys with loud trucks, drink beer like it's going out of style and chew tobacco.

Well, what do you expect living in Wenatchee? The worthwhile ones are on the OTHER SIDE of the Cascades. [Razz]

Strangest thing I've eaten....hmmm...I dunno...probably tree tomato. That was weird.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 21:51      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I'm pretty fond of lengua (cow tongue) tacos and nopales (cactus salad). I've had menudo (a soup made with cow stomach) a few times, too. I particularly enjoy fish tacos when I can find some well-made ones. I've also had a few different varieties of sushi.

I suppose how gross or strange people find foods will vary a lot based on their upbringing. I imagine most of the Californians will find mine a pretty mundane list. [ohwell]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 21:57      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmmmm! SUSHI!!! Mmmmmmm!
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 22:08      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Mmmmmm! SUSHI!!! Mmmmmmm!

Ditto. My brother and I have decided to have some for our birthdays tomorrow.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

OhMyGoddessSixx
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3858

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 22:21      Profile for OhMyGoddessSixx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, what do you expect living in Wenatchee? The worthwhile ones are on the OTHER SIDE of the Cascades. [Razz]
Yes, and I hope to rectify that problem after I graduate college. I'm sick of Eastern Washington.
[thumbsdown]

--------------------

Posts: 42 | From: The 7th Level Of Hell aka East Wenatchee, WA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 22:21      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fish tacos.... are they like bacalaito? I've seen ads with fish tacos on the menu, but no pictures/free samples. [Frown]

--------------------

OhMyGoddessSixx
Geek Apprentice
Member # 3858

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 22:27      Profile for OhMyGoddessSixx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why anyone in the world would eat a fish taco is beyond my comprehension...*shudders*

Although, I did hear "fish taco" used in another context, but I won't go there. Blehh.

--------------------

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2005 22:36      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Fish tacos.... are they like bacalaito? I've seen ads with fish tacos on the menu, but no pictures/free samples. [Frown]

Fish tacos are usually made with a fairly mild type of fish (I've heard whitefish and halibut are common, but I don't know for sure). Around here, the fish is usually battered and fried, then put in the taco. I've sometimes seen it grilled, and that was good, but not quite as good.

quote:
Originally posted by OhMyGoddessSixx:
Why anyone in the world would eat a fish taco is beyond my comprehension...*shudders*

I know a lot of people who really had to be pushed to try a fish taco, but once they did, they couldn't get enough.

--------------------

Zargof McBain
Mini Geek
Member # 3856

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2005 00:07      Profile for Zargof McBain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying to think of the most unusual food that I've tried, other than the ones I've tried there is

Yak - very similar to beef
Aligator - tasted like pork to me
Kangaroo - nice
Dripping - heathly and nutritious snack

I don't these is any thing I wouldn't be prepared to try providing I knew it was edible.

--------------------

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2005 04:49      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, let's see

I've eaten frogs legs, snails, squid, kangaroo, ostritch and venison. I'd like to try snake/alligator as I have heard they're quite pleasant but I would probably need to go to US or Aus to get them...

I rather like South African Biltong (which is basically just sundried meat cut up into little bits.

Haggis, Black Pudding, etc are nice (hell, they're only forms of sausage after all - and at least you know what goes into it, I don't suppose salami, pastrami, zyweski, etc are any better or worse...)

I've seen that whole unhatched chick thing on a documentary on world food, it is a Phillipino (IIRC) fast food and consumed by the millions per annum apparently (though I think they boil them not eat them raw...)

I think you'll find that what we consider "disgusting and repulsive" is rather more cultural than anything else... Plenty of indigenous peoples eat locusts, grubs, tarantulas, whatever and they probably would think some of the things we eat are pretty grim too (Nice plate of tripe anyone? [shake head] )

Here in the UK it is a sort of cultural taboo that you don't eat horses. Why? My guess is that historically horses were just too damn valuable to be used for food - though that has never stopped the French (allegedly) from eating them.

Hell people will try and find a way to eat almost anything - the Japanese consider that poisonous Pufferfish thingy a delicacy, even though a few people die every year from eating it?!?!?! [Confused]

It's a bit like the "were our ancestors cannibals?" debate... We consider eating the dead just too horrid to contemplate and killing another human for food almost unthinkable; but that's just cultural - suppose you grew up in a society where eating the dead person was a sign of respect, or some spiritual necessity to help them pass into the next world? Wouldn't you be horrified by a society that just "threw the dead away"?

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1938 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture