homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Love!   » Guys, Guys, Guys!   » Income of geeky guys (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Income of geeky guys
Cathy
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2673

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2004 01:15      Profile for Cathy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is it that geeky guys who have lots of money aren't willing to spend it, yet are intentionally very generous? Is this a common trait amongst all geeky guys?

Cathy

--------------------
Cathy Jenkins
IT Support & Web Design
[email protected]
http://www.cathyjenkins.com

Posts: 41 | From: Canberra, Australia | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
defiant
Geek
Member # 2225

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2004 02:11      Profile for defiant     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you'd have to ask Xanthine about that. She has a geeky boyfriend [Wink] Or just ask the Dragon himself. [Smile]
Posts: 190 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2004 05:39      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You must know a different class of geek to the ones I associate with, some of them earn absolutely astronomical incomes, yet they're still broke by next payday, they spend money like there's no tomorrow.

Geeks just have different spending priorities, they may have a crappy old car, and clothes that look like they came from the Brotherhood Bin, but they'll also have a huge plasma TV, and enough electronic toys to .. um ... well to do something really impressive that requires lots of electronic toys.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2004 14:35      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Druid is right. We are very generous, its just that silicon habit is so darn expensive

...must ...get ...new ...G5

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
illuminatus
Geek
Member # 2187

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2004 15:06      Profile for illuminatus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AMD Athlon 64 FX-53... it's calling... someone throw $800 my way

--------------------
-illumina+us
http://illuminatus.oczombies.net/
I suck at life IRL

Posts: 124 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cathy
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2673

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2004 04:38      Profile for Cathy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps I do know a different class of geeks. I have a total crush on one at an educational institution I attend. I don't know what triggered it, because at first it seemed we hated each other. Then suddenly, he finds out I have my own IT company and... hahaha.

BTW, I have the latest AMD Processor, I hate Pentium intel!

--------------------
Cathy Jenkins
IT Support & Web Design
[email protected]

sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2004 12:13      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Death to pallidium! JOOI, did anything happen about that? As far as I have noticed it has all gone quiet...

--------------------
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent."
--Isaac Asimov

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
illuminatus
Geek
Member # 2187

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 28, 2004 16:35      Profile for illuminatus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cathy:
Perhaps I do know a different class of geeks. I have a total crush on one at an educational institution I attend. I don't know what triggered it, because at first it seemed we hated each other. Then suddenly, he finds out I have my own IT company and... hahaha.

BTW, I have the latest AMD Processor, I hate Pentium intel!

That's Intel Pentium not the other way around. Now because of your mistake send me the FX-53.

--------------------
-illumina+us
http://illuminatus.oczombies.net/
I suck at life IRL

Posts: 124 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crimson Rider
Geek Larva
Member # 2709

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2004 07:44      Profile for Crimson Rider     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cathy, it only takes one time to be liked for your money instead of who you are to make a guy very carefull.

That being said, I like to buy gifts and tidbits for others and to pick up the check after dinner. But somehow the latter seems to be bad form these days.

--------------------
Code, justify, code - Pitr Dubovich

Posts: 20 | From: Netherlands | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2004 08:36      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Rider:
That being said, I like to buy gifts and tidbits for others and to pick up the check after dinner. But somehow the latter seems to be bad form these days.

Not with me! I let wonderful geeks buy meals for me all the time... Allan, Cheezi.. LOL!
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2004 08:59      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:
quote:
Originally posted by Crimson Rider:

Not with me! I let wonderful geeks buy meals for me all the time... Allan, Cheezi.. LOL!
And I've come to accept free food as well from the fairer sex if they care to pay [Smile] . I think of the ThinkGeek bumper sticker "Will code for bandwidth" - to me, it's also, "Will code for food." I've helped a friend of mine out with some various Perl things, and she's repaid the favor with some good food (and pay for a rather big project).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crimson Rider
Geek Larva
Member # 2709

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2004 00:37      Profile for Crimson Rider     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me rephrase, in the Netherlands, where I happen to live most of the time, it's almost considered faux pas for a guy to pay.

--------------------

Cathy
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2673

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2004 06:43      Profile for Cathy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should clear up why I asked that in the first place. Post edited...sorry, reason removed!

I wasn't looking for a rich guy myself. Sure, I'd take one if we got along well. In reality, I'm very shy and quiet. Passive too.

Over the internet I like to stir people up though. I admit that. I joke around a fair bit - putting myself up for auction, etc!

Wow. I sound so defensive, but it's true!

Cathy
ps. There is no problem in a guy giving girls this: http://www.cathyjenkins.com/better.jpg (large image fyi!)

--------------------
Cathy Jenkins
IT Support & Web Design
[email protected]

Crimson Rider
Geek Larva
Member # 2709

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2004 07:24      Profile for Crimson Rider     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*grin*

Reminds of the time I brought over some chocolate to my sister-in-law, somehow she figured that meant that her partner (my brother) tought she was to skinny. To this day I am still trying to figure out the logic in that.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2004 14:57      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I should clear up why I asked that in the first place. It was actually because of a guy I know. Technically a genius, but unreliable and lazy. Constantly lies and lets me down. Failed uni, wont go back. Wont get a job. Afraid to communicate etc.

Sounds like half the geeks I know [Wink]
Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2004 15:02      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I should clear up why I asked that in the first place. It was actually because of a guy I know. Technically a genius, but unreliable and lazy. Constantly lies and lets me down. Failed uni, wont go back. Wont get a job. Afraid to communicate etc.

Well, rest assured, Cathy - we won't let you down. I, for one, haven't let down my GF in over three years (she has a slow puncture that does it for me!) [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2004 15:05      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Things that go *pssssshhh* in the night?

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2004 15:11      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

And occasionally *SQUEEEP!*

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
hey-U
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2128

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2004 16:54      Profile for hey-U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

And occasionally *SQUEEEP!*
...but more frequently

*FWAP*

[evil]

Posts: 1263 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2004 18:06      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spungo's neighbours must think he runs a balloon resilience testing business from home (well, what else would make all those sort of noises every night? [Big Grin] )

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2004 20:50      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Afraid to communicate etc.
You should get his IP and ping him a couple hundred thousand times. I'm sure one of our resident pearl programmers could muster up something that gets the job done. That is communicating, right?
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2004 20:20      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*ahem* ... spelled Perl ... *ahem*

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
zushiba
Newbie Larva
Member # 2731

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2004 00:50      Profile for zushiba   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is also possible that your geek does not understand how to properly court a lady and as such thinks "and quite correctly so in this day and age" That if you throw money at her she will like him.

--------------------
I do no believe in Mathmatics.

Posts: 9 | From: California | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2004 11:25      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zushiba:
It is also possible that your geek does not understand how to properly court a lady and as such thinks "and quite correctly so in this day and age" That if you throw money at her she will like him.

Well what an interesting opinion. Almost like saying that the super massive black hole in the center of this solar system is the reason that all of the matter came together and when it recessed, the matter/light left at the brim of said black hole formed into a very stable form of a star. Thus creating a continuing source of gravity in which all particles of the solar system were entrapped in and providing a light source in which, given the right conditions, life forms begin to sprout. Very interesting indeed.

[Wink]

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2004 16:41      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, what?!

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture