homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » The Joke Bank!   » Buy yourself some time!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Buy yourself some time!
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted June 09, 2009 22:35      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ha ha!

http://www.corrupted-files.com/Word.html

We offer a wide array of corrupted Word files that are guaranteed not to open on a Mac or PC. A corrupted file is a file that contains scrambled and unrecoverable data due to hardware or software failure. Files may become corrupted when something goes wrong while a file is being saved e.g. the program saving the file might crash. Files may also become corrupted when being sent via email. The perfect excuse to buy you that extra time!

Step 1: After purchasing a file, rename the file e.g. Mike_Final-Paper.

Step 2: Email the file to your professor along with your "here's my assignment" email.

Step 3: It will take your professor several hours if not days to notice your file is "unfortunately" corrupted. Use the time this website just bought you wisely and finish that paper!!!

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2009 23:55      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this over at fail blog. I wonder with how many prof's this would work. Back in the days when we scraweled our knowledge on dead trees, even if you wrote a great paper, and lost it due to the voraciious appetite of the deadly vagrant canines that stalked our paths to school, the proffesors would not care that the papr file was corrupted by the dog and you would fail.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anovadea
Geek Apprentice
Member # 15588

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2009 05:26      Profile for Anovadea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. That's really for the folks that don't know how to do it themselves. (And it's not like he doesn't give the theory behind it, so you can implement it yourself)

I remember my project supervisor told me about that trick, and that if I needed an extra few hours for my report, he'd just say he got a corrupt file.

Apparently the guy he worked with started to use that for conference submissions a LOT once he found out (from my aforementioned supervisor). [Smile]

Of course, if you're in compsci, the guys probably know how to have a look and see if what's not mangled in there is anything to do with your actual report. But if you're in compsci, you should know enough to mangle it yourself, so it looks authentic. Also, I can imagine compsci people coming up with simple ways to check for the goods that are being dealt from that site at least (What's the reckoning he just sells one 40-page word doc to everyone?)

Still, if he makes money from it, fair play.

For those that want to know. Basically, open the file in notepad (or vim or emacs or holy-editor-war candidate of choice) and delete some of the stuff that looks like garbage. Maybe change some characters in there as well, for the laugh.

That'll garble it enough to look plausible.

Posts: 46 | From: Dublin | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture