homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » The Joke Bank!   » splitpeasoup's stand-up comedy routine of the day thread

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: splitpeasoup's stand-up comedy routine of the day thread
splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2006 13:46      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I’m a huge comedy fan and I thought I’d start this thread to share some of my favorite routines with y’all. I doubt I’ll get to it every day, but I’ll try to get to it at least a few times a week. Here’s the first installment:

Listen to Marketing & Advertising by Bill Hicks : http://www.napster.com/player/tracks/12409846

(to listen to it you have to do a quick register w/ Napster, but all they need is a valid e-mail address, and you don’t have to sign up for anything). Oh, and feel free to post your favorites!

maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2006 09:35      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me cant be bothered
splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2006 14:47      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, what? "I'm too lazy to laugh." [Smile] Sorry to bother you with my humor. [Smile]

Currently this gentleman is my favorite male comedian: Listen to American Dream by Eddie Izzard : http://www.napster.com/player/tracks/15219604

splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2006 16:29      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is currently my favorite George Carlin routine, but it's a hard choice, the man's got a 45+ year career: Listen to Advertising Lullabye by George Carlin : http://www.napster.com/player/tracks/13782351
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2006 16:52            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not going to screw about with Napster, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone here who doesn't or can't appreciate Eddie Izzard. I keep one of his shows (Dress to Kill) around on my desktop and play it now and then, I love it so much.

My sister's not yet heard it and I wind her up by forever quoting lines from it :-)

One of the things I find the most remarkable about the show is how he references earlier parts later in the show, at one point commenting "Well remembered" when everyone laughs at one of these references. He also re-uses ideas in similar contexts in a way that works really well. For example, the British film part (Sebastian), and the conquest of India (itself referencing the NRA part previously) are both re-used in the Death Star part to good effect -- Lt Sebastian, and the Rebels with the flag. (Itself only funny if you remembered the India part)

It's the sort of attention to detail and cunning that I really appreciate. Definitely humour for geeks (it's just a wonder that our memory span is long enough to remember earlier parts of the show!)

IP: Logged
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2006 02:40      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree!!! Eddie Izzard is the best!

Darth Vader at the Deathstar Cantina-brilliant!

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2006 03:49      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harry Hill is a comedy genius.
quote:

What is it about people who repair shoes, that makes them so good at cutting keys?
That familiar phrase, "A pair of shoes... and a key please! ...And a trophy, why not?!"

What you wanna do, is walk into the shop wearing a pair of novelty shoes in the shape of keys... you've got him now
haven't you?! He doesn't know whether to repair the novelty key-shaped shoes, or cut you a pair exactly the same!

Also, lee and herring totally rock. Their website has scripts. They make me laugh. I just wasted an hour reading them.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2006 19:14      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oooo, thanks littlefish! That's exciting, I'm not familiar with that stuff.

Dress to Kill is my favorite of Eddie Izzard's shows. It's a little odd to see him in interviews on various documentaries (aristocrats, billy connolly documentary) and on TV w/o any makeup/clothing. So much for the executive transvestite d'action. I even exercised my 15 year old French lessons to listen to the French show they had as an extra on the Circle DVD.

I should point out that the Napster thing I'm using is not Napster itself, but "NapsterLinks", which is their new advertising scheme where you can turn anything in their library into a link which can be listened to up to five times. To me this means: free web-based audio to be taken advantage of as much as possible before they move on to their next crazy scheme. You don't actually have to sign up for anything to listen to what I post, they just need a quick reg.

I've seen this lady live, and she's funny as hell and definitely insane. Anyone seen "The Comedians of Comedy"? She was on that. Listen to Hollywood Standards by Maria Bamford : http://www.napster.com/player/tracks/15209170

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2006 06:07      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favourite comedians would have to be ( in no particular order, because I cannot for the life of me, put these guys in order ): George Carlin, Dennis Miller, Lewis Black, and Chris Rock.

Good, smart humour with lots of cursing. [Wink]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2006 15:38      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never been able to get into Lewis Black. Dunno why. Something about him just pisses me off. I think that it might be that most of my experience of him is from the Daily Show, and 9 times out of ten his segment on there just sucks.

Speaking of lots of cursing, here's an oldie but goodie: Listen to Black Movie Theaters by Eddie Murphy : http://www.napster.com/player/tracks/10013862

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 25, 2006 13:52      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend sent me this link and I think it is worthy of reposting here...

Not only is it amusing but the man is actually good at it too!

The Evolution of Dance

Enjoy, I did...

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1938 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2006 13:42      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brilliant! I loved that! I'm at work and had to watch without the sound on, but I don't think it made a difference.

Listen to Christ and Moses, Come On Down by Lenny Bruce : http://www.napster.com/player/tracks/16018340

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2006 14:42      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Death is coming for you! [Eek!] [Wink]

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
MzSunn
Mini Geek
Member # 5144

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 02, 2006 06:24      Profile for MzSunn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was in my email box this morning here at work. smiles

http://www.michaelhodges.com/missing.html

--------------------
Lovely Lovely Mushy Center

Posts: 54 | From: Atlanta GA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 09:31      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol!

Another classic: Listen to Dave (Album Version-Greatest Hit) by Cheech & Chong : http://www.napster.com/player/tracks/12086012

MzSunn
Mini Geek
Member # 5144

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2006 10:31      Profile for MzSunn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool Beans!!!! [Applause]

--------------------
Lovely Lovely Mushy Center

Posts: 54 | From: Atlanta GA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
maybe.logic
Alpha Geek
Member # 5014

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2006 01:55      Profile for maybe.logic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
My friend sent me this link and I think it is worthy of reposting here...

Not only is it amusing but the man is actually good at it too!

The Evolution of Dance

Enjoy, I did...

[Big Grin]

That was brilliant Serenak.

Cheers.

splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2006 16:34      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today I be grumpy in San Francisco:

Listen to I Hate Hippies by Patton Oswalt : http://www.napster.com/player/tracks/16586651

splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2006 15:52      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gotta give it up for my ladies: Listen to What Women Want by Judy Tenuta: http://www.napster.com/player/tracks/15035096
splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2006 14:42      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I could find some of this gentleman's older stuff, but I guess post-mental institution will have to do: Listen to Ebay by Jonathan Winters: http://www.napster.com/player/tracks/13782689
splitpeasoup
Mini Geek
Member # 3497

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 11:32      Profile for splitpeasoup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish the full routine was on here, this piece will have to do, one of my favorites by Dave Chapelle: http://www.napster.com/player/tracks/16038995
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 12:25      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by splitpeasoup:
...to listen to it you have to do a quick register w/ ...

fuck no.

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2006 13:20      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.bugmenot.com/view/napster.com

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9341 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture