homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » The Joke Bank!   » For spelling pedants like me...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: For spelling pedants like me...
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 15:26      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another fine example of journalistic (and editorial) skill...

Now, who will be the first to find the mistakes in my spelling or grammar?

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1756 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 16:04      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You need another dot to finish the sentence after the ellipses. [Wink]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 16:27      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Additionally, you should have used the phrase "spelling and grammar" because the conjunction "or" idicates a choice which implies that errors either exist (or are only to be pointed out) in one of the two areas. [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 21, 2006 16:43      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From CMS, 5.202:

"Which should be used restrictively only when it is preceded by a preposition {the situation in which we find ourselves}. Otherwise it is almost always preceded by a comma, a parenthesis, or a dash."

Thus:

...a choice, which implies that errors either exist...

Incidentally, you missed the "n" in "indicates." [Wink]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3851 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2006 10:59      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez, and I checked that bad boy at least thrice before I clicked "Add Post" [Roll Eyes]

Steen, I stand by my use of "or" based on the apparent absence of spelling errors. [Smile]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1756 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Flashfire
Assimilated
Member # 2616

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2006 13:44      Profile for Flashfire   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
From CMS, 5.202:

"Which should be used restrictively only when it is preceded by a preposition {the situation in which we find ourselves}. Otherwise it is almost always preceded by a comma, a parenthesis, or a dash."

Thus:

...a choice, which implies that errors either exist...

Incidentally, you missed the "n" in "indicates." [Wink]

Argh! I knew someone was going to drag out the Chicago Manual of Style before this was over! (I was expecting it to be me, though... [Big Grin] )

That bloody book haunts me at work...I won't go into the details of hours wasted arguing with localizers over the difference between "style" and "grammatically incorrect". The end of these arguments is usually a snarky reply to my bug report quoting chapter and verse from the CMS. [ohwell]

I have learned that when one goes up against the Manual of Style, one invariably loses. (For those of you who are saying, "I thought you were a video game tester," you're right. I am -- you'd be amazed at the amount of test that needs to be spell- and grammar-checked in your average video game. Especially RPGs.)

Oh, and sorry Peebs -- an extra dot after the ellipsis isn't necessary. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"No silicon heaven? That's absurd!
Where would all the calculators go?"
--Kryten, Red Dwarf
-------------------------------
My Web Comic: NSTA: Semper Vigilantis

Posts: 368 | From: State of Denial | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2006 13:51      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Additionally, you should have used the phrase "spelling and grammar" because the conjunction "or" idicates a choice which implies that errors either exist (or are only to be pointed out) in one of the two areas. [Smile]

Sorry, Steen, this place is with people who code.

OR
T or T = T
T or F = T
F or T = T
F or F = F

XOR
T xor T = F
T xor F = T
F xor T = T
F xor F = F

I say 'xor' when I mean 'xor', and 'or' when I mean logical 'or'. Dispite the common meaning of 'or' in English being 'xor'.

I also put punctuation that isn't part of the original quote outside of the quote. As with computers "type 'this,' and press enter", and "type 'this', and press enter" have different meanings.

Then, I go and post all my evil spelling errors.

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2006 19:26      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kindly note that I have -never- claimed that my spelling, grammar and punctuation are correct. I only correct things when it is humorous, annoying or both. [Big Grin]

<tangent>
I have absolutely no memory of making that post. I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping lately and I gave in and took Ambien a bit before posting that in the hopes of going to bed early. Ambien has the side effect of causing amnesia in some people, myself included, and I generally can't remember anything from about a half hour after taking it until I wake up the next day. A friend of mine gets the same side effect and says "it's like slipping yourself a roofie."
</tangent>

Gamemaster wrote:
Sorry, Steen, this place is with people who code.

/me points to his degree in CompSci and thanks you very kindly for your attempt to illustrate logic without a properly formatted truth table.

Logic OR and XOR operations are comparators and a conjunction is not a comparison. If you apply the definition of a logical OR to the word 'or' as used above, you have a sentence that makes absolutely no sense.

Gamemaster wrote:
I say 'xor' when I mean 'xor', and 'or' when I mean logical 'or'. Dispite the common meaning of 'or' in English being 'xor'.

Elsewhere, Gamemaster wrote:
IIRC mepisto also posted under PopePerl or PerlPope, for a little while... or was it another old timer

Well lookie there... no XOR in that post and you're clearly using or to mean an exclusive choice between one person or another person. Sorry, but I have to call bullshit on your claim of using the logical definition despite the common meaning. [Razz]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture