homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » The Joke Bank!   » what's wrong with this picture?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what's wrong with this picture?
greycat

Member # 945

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted September 20, 2005 10:59      Profile for greycat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check the picture at near the top of this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/confident.mspx

Just in case someone changes the image, I've saved a copy of it:  -

Posts: 1522 | From: Ohio, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted September 20, 2005 11:03      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hee hee... Nice iBook!

This was an ad for OS X right? [Razz]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2005 12:50      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Topic: what's wrong with this picture?
or indeed, "what's the one thing that's right with this picture?" ( the soi disant Aqua graphics don't count as they are so blatantly plagiarised...)

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 20, 2005 16:03      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I presume that really is an iBook - it /might/ be one of those stupid knockoffs*. If it is an iBook, it's certainly not turned on, or someone 'shopped out the lit Apple on front. This is one of those things that continues to amuse me, by the way - if people were to believe the media, it would appear that a much greater percentage of people use Apple products, given how much they appear in publications, television, and movies. [Wink]

*I forget which company, but someone makes a laptop that looks a hell of a lot like an iBook...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 20, 2005 16:08      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And isn't that a Jennifer Garner knock-off at the keyboard? [Smile]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 20, 2005 17:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If so... a really poor one...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 20, 2005 17:31      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is probably due to MS using a stock photograph, and someone not paying close attention to the computer in the picture. Remember the article ages ago on /. about the spiky haired Asian guy that appears on a whole heap of different websites.

quote:
If so... a really poor one
Oh, I don't know, naked, and with beer she'd be alright...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 20, 2005 21:40      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like they fixed it
 -

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 20, 2005 21:46      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Microsoft is at war with Eurasia.
Microsoft has always been at war with Eurasia...
</Orwell>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 00:09      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The banner bungle may have Microsoft thinking "Enabling a new lack of confidence in your advertising agency." [Razz] [Roll Eyes]

Edit: I just saved a copy of the image to my hard drive and noted that it was named "hero_confident.jpg". Hero?! Oh, pu-leeease! Given that the graphic's name is not ordinarily expected to be seen, it conveys some idea as to how Microsoft internally perceives its own products.

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 00:35      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks a bit thick to be apple hardware to me.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 08:28      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, while I admit to not knowing apples as well as most of you, I will agree that it kinda looks like one.

BUT, on the same point, I will also say that kinda looks like a model of Dell.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
crazy_tony
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4396

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 09:22      Profile for crazy_tony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by greycat:
Check the picture at near the top of this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/confident.mspx

[/IMG]

Perhaps it's all part of Microsofts plan to deter Steve from the possibility of OSX x86.

Really though... it could be any laptop, lol.

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 10:57      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have any of the knock-offs copied the "drop hinge" effect though? It looks like the bottom of the screen is rotated behind the bottom half of the laptop. And the "fixed" version of the image is just a P-Shopped effort with the white laptop painted gray.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tech Angel
Alpha Geek
Member # 908

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 13:47      Profile for Tech Angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
Have any of the knock-offs copied the "drop hinge" effect though? It looks like the bottom of the screen is rotated behind the bottom half of the laptop. And the "fixed" version of the image is just a P-Shopped effort with the white laptop painted gray.

I noticed the drop-hinge, too, and to be honest, the "corrected" picture looks...well, Photoshopped. I used Zoom (under Universal Access) to blow up the images and noticed one other interesting difference: the telltale ports on the iBook (if that's what it is) are reflected in the table in the first picture, but not in the second. Good catch, Microsoft! But...the reflection of the now-gray computer still appears to be of a white laptop.

--------------------
We must be the change we want to see in the world. -Mahatma Ghandi

Posts: 330 | From: the Great State of Confusion | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 14:36      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Littlefish wrote:

quote:
Looks a bit thick to be apple hardware to me.
Perhaps it's a G5 iBook with a large heat sink?
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
alfrin
Uber Geek
Member # 3836

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2005 21:32      Profile for alfrin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow I bet they fired their marketting company as quickly as possible. But I must say, whoever they had, had a wonderful sense of humour

--------------------
Art is Resistance / Resistance is Art

Posts: 813 | From: Nevada, USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture