homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » The Joke Bank!   » FW: Larry LaPrise Remembered

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FW: Larry LaPrise Remembered
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted September 24, 2004 10:28      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With all the sadness and trauma going on in the world at the moment, it is worth reflecting on the death of a very important person which almost went unnoticed last week.

Larry LaPrise, the man who wrote "The Hokey Pokey," died peacefully at age 93.

The most traumatic part for his family was getting him into the coffin. They put his left leg in. And then the trouble started...

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2004 10:37      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was bad, But really funny at the same time

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 25, 2004 08:54      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I put it in my MSN name. My girlfriend says I'm "awful".

ALthough there's a distinct possibility that has nothing to do with the MSN name. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted September 26, 2004 02:36      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy, didn't you post this a long time ago? I swear I've seen it before...

--------------------
Mmmmrreow!

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
huckfinnifkcuh
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3086

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted November 19, 2004 06:00      Profile for huckfinnifkcuh   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a renewed little joke going around... it has been since 1996 when Larry LaPrise actually died.

Funny thing though... he keeps aging even after death... he was only 83 when he died, and now, 8 years later, he is 93... ain't death a bitch!

From CNN (week of April 11, 1996):

Creator of 'The Hokey Pokey' dies

(CNN) -- Every child in America, and almost every adult, knows the Hokey Pokey. You just put your right foot in and put your right foot out to perform one of the best-known circle dances in American history.

Its popularity belies its age, and conceals its author. The man who wrote the song, Larry LaPrise, died last week at 83 in Boise, Idaho.

He wrote the tune for the Sun Valley, Idaho, ski crowd in the late 1940s, but it took a recording by big band leader Ray Anthony to make the Hokey Pokey a nationwide phenomenon. (It appeared on the B side of the "Bunny Hop" single.)

LaPrise didn't receive royalties for the song until the 1960s, when its rights were purchased by country star Roy Acuff's publishing company.

In recent years, LaPrise worked in the post office in Ketchum, Idaho. Children often wrote him notes addressed to "The Hokey Pokey Man."

--------------------
-----

Talk Radio that makes sense...
http://www.RandiRhodesArchives.com

Posts: 1 | From: NWGA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
R0x0r_G0dd3ss
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3041

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 07, 2004 09:13      Profile for R0x0r_G0dd3ss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That IS what it's all about, you know?

--------------------
Ph33r my l337 n3kk1d skillz!!!

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture