homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Using a fan to clear windows that fog up

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Using a fan to clear windows that fog up
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted November 25, 2016 16:03      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My house windows are old single pane windows, and they fog up when it's "cold" outside. This leads to annonyment and mold.

I've been using a computer fan to dry them out. If I leave it on, the window doesn't fog, or at least, the water droplets evaporate off the window and it stays clear.

Q. Is this just making *more* water vapour in my house, as water constantly condenses on the glass and fan air takes it away? In other words, does the layer of condensed water on the window help insulate it, so less water condenses on it?

Yes I know, I need a dehumidifier!

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2016 19:20      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It won't add moisture, the condensation is just moisture in your inside air turning liquid when it hits a cold surface.

As an alternative to a fan, you'll sacrifice your view, but this might help and it'll cut your heating bill in those long Canadian winters.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 25, 2016 21:58      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh cool, I'll have to try that bubble wrap trick! Thanks Druid! [Applause]
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2016 10:37      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy there are kits of heat shrink vinyl that staple to the outside window trim and you make it tight with a hair dryer.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 26, 2016 11:15      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan, yep I've seen and used those over the years, but never liked them. Back in Ontario they wouldn't last long before being shredded, but hmmm, maybe here where it's milder, they would.

Perhaps I'll try one window with that, one with the bubble wrap. [Geek]

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted November 26, 2016 14:43      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just call me the Boy in the Bubbles

-

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2016 11:33      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That may explain why I have seen them installed inside the house.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 27, 2016 12:42      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Window update: Huge difference with the bubble wrap, the room is warmer, and no condensation on the outside of bubble wrap. Next to the glass there is some water, especially where the wrap separated from the glass, but still magnitudes less than without bubble wrap. [thumbsup]

Still worried about mold though, I suspect it will be a bloom'in mess at some point.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2016 19:35      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep me posted, I only saw that suggestion recently, and haven't got around to trying it m'self.
We don't have a condensation problem, but there's a couple of spots in Casa del Druid that are uncomfortably close to slabs of cold glass in Winter.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 28, 2016 02:39      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm wondering if a little windex on the glass before you apply the bubble wrap would act as a mold retardant.

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 28, 2016 11:20      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, I'm using mold retardant. :-D

-

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 28, 2016 12:54      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just what you need "Retarded Mold"

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 28, 2016 17:13      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on a bubble roll. This time, testing two different bubble sizes.

-

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 28, 2016 19:39      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You do realize that you have installed semi-opaque windows and you could walk around in your ....

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2016 14:31      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy a quick word of caution, flue gases from a furnace or space contain a lot of water vapor. Are you sure that your heating apparatus is venting correctly? The same question if using a gas water heater.

I do recommend a Carbon Dioxide Detector for you and Nitros safety.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 29, 2016 17:14      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks MoMan for thinking of that. Luckily we don't burn any fuels in our furnace, as we have a heat pump. We do burn a lot of wood though, but I would think that tends to dry things out inside. (wood is stored outside)

So far, loving the bubble lifestyle! Thanks again Druid for that tip! [Applause]

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 09, 2016 13:39      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just an update on my bubble wrap situation...

I love this! It's made a huge difference in water coming down on my sills and the rooms feel warmer. There's a little bit of water on the sills, but nothing like it used to be, and the mould seems to be under control so far. Today it's cold and there's even snow outside, but moisture is under control!

I do have to check it now and then to be sure the bubble wrap is against the window, and occasionally need to spray some areas every now and then so that the wrap sticks. Bigger bubble wrap seems to work a little better than the small stuff.

Thanks so much for that link Druid! [Applause]

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Conservation/bubblewrap.htm

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2016 06:42      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy if you should happen to have one of those in/out door thermometers, could you put the probe next to the glass and the inside unit tight against the bubble wrap. I am curious about the delta "T" that you are getting.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2016 13:50      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan: I don't have one of those, but the guy at Make it Solar did these calculations…

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Conservation/bubblewrapperformance.htm

Pretty much doubles the R value of the window.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 11, 2016 14:07      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 26, 2017 07:20      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy - it's getting on for what we here in paradise laughingly call 'Winter' and I thought I might do the bubble wrap thing.

Any updates on your comments above now that you've had a chance to see how it goes through an entire real Winter?

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture