homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Apple TV, 3rd Gen?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Apple TV, 3rd Gen?
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2016 20:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So...I'm curious - is the aforementioned any good?

I'm chiefly interested in 2 things - AirPlay Mirroring (from a laptop) and Netflix. If it was only the latter, I know there are countless other ways. However, for anything /not/ on Netflix, or to just show what's on one's laptop to others, the mirroring thing sounds pretty good. (Assuming that is, it can handle streaming at a good clip.)

The 3rd Gen model seems to be selling for a fairly decent price - so I'm curious to know the general opinion of it around here. I'm kind of tempted to try to roll my own with Raspberry Pi or some compute stick...but this might be easier. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9329 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted July 14, 2016 01:11      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 3rd gen is great for Airplay, I use that all the time with my iPhone. If I'm streaming something from my computer (like a movie) I use the Plex app. Netflix and apps like NASA are great. The remote is a bit crazy though, but since I lowered the "speed" of it, I find it easier to use.

I would recommend the new Apple TV, (plus you can return it within two weeks or a month I believe for full refund.)

Posts: 8094 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2016 20:55      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...for streaming from my computer, I really mean for watching stuff like "The Big Bang Theory" on streaming sites that probably work best in Chrome. Do I know how to download content from such sites via curl? Yes. Would I care to do that if I can just click Play? No. [Smile]

I have absolutely no interest in the App Store, or the iTunes Store - I have no content to speak of from said systems for video playback. The only thing that makes this device interesting to me is what would appear to be the ease with which I could put my laptop's video on a larger display without wires. Still, an HDMI cable is cheaper, so I think I'll postpone this decision for some time. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9329 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted July 15, 2016 11:47      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a cable? Wha?

[cry baby] OMG! [cry baby]

[Wink]

--------------

What freaks me out sometimes is when the AirPlay streaming from my iPhone looks better than the cable TV feed. [crazy]

oh, another nice thing about Airplay via Apple TV is that you can control the stream via the remote, not your phone , which gives you better controls, click click ahead/click back, etc.

Posts: 8094 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2016 13:05      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 3rd gen, which has been awesome for NetFlix and quite good for YouTube and a few other streaming apps. The vast majority of the apps are only useful if you have a real cable subscription, but I just ignore those. I don't do a lot of AirPlay streaming to my Apple TV, but when I do it's solid. At the local school I sometimes notice a bit of stuttering in their video, but I'm casting the evil eye on their network infrastructure for now.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1737 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2016 20:53      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
a cable? Wha?

[cry baby] OMG! [cry baby]

[Wink]

Yeah...I may be a luddite sometimes, but these days, I'm almost completely wireless at home. I don't have cable at home...nor wired Internet. The latter is just due to a perk from work...without it, an ISP would be an absolute necessity (or maybe I'd broker a deal with a neighbor).

I picked up a cheap HDMI cable some time ago because I wanted to turn a small display/TV into a second monitor on my old laptop, but it just didn't work entirely to my liking...and of course, being wired and all, was a nuisance.

I did some reading last night about Plex and was kind of impressed. It looks like certain 'smart TVs' support it more or less natively, eliminating the need for an attached device.

The other option maybe is a Raspberry Pi? I could use a good excuse to get one...cheaper than an Apple TV, runs Linux...hmm... [hearts]

P.S. Speaking of cables...someone would be very disappointed if they thought they'd found something valuable in "PowerBook G4" box in my closet - I just thought it was a really snazzy box (from my old job)...and it stores all my unused cables very nicely. [Big Grin]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture