homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Administrator Password from Guest Account?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Administrator Password from Guest Account?
Lingonberry24
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 50399

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2014 20:56      Profile for Lingonberry24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I know this is an overasked question, but I'd like to know if there really is a way to get into an administrator account or get administrator privileges on a guest account? Or in general an account with limited rights? I've seen so many so called "fail-proof" methods, but none of them seem to work. Does anybody know if it's possible? [Confused]
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2014 22:35      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
XYZZY

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2014 08:20      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lingonberry24, First off welcome to our forums, please post often.

Your question is tough because every OS (Operating System) and Program would have to have the same master password.

I doubt that you could find a group of Coders that all thought that a common default password was a good idea.

Would you want your computer protected by a password that every one could figure out? Why even bother with a password?

At the very least lets make the"NSA" work for data they are snooping for.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2014 15:34      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have legitimate admin credentials for the system, then yes, you can temporarily elevate your privileges on all the major desktop operating systems. The method to do so varies with the OS.

But if you are asking us to help crack into an admin account for which you are not already authorized, that's not going to happen.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2014 09:02      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been away too long and spend too much time on reddit. Does anyone look for the upvote buttons in these comment threads I mean forums.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted July 13, 2014 03:05      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lingonberry24

There is an oracle named Google. It is VERY wise and useful if you ask the right question.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2014 21:27      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah, Google. That would have been far easier and might have actually given the answer. In this case, that's undesirable, as the request would seemingly be for untoward purposes. As a responsible sysadmin, I heartily welcome most of the above replies. [Smile]

(Besides, I mostly use DuckDuckGo these days.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture