homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » magic and science

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: magic and science
xxolah
Maximum Newbie
Member # 50394

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2014 15:34      Profile for xxolah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have bin thinking lately there is a big differences between magic and science right

but i have bin thinking what if there is not maybe magic IS a science maybe magic is the science of manipulating the energy of the universe

sow my question is am i the only one whom has thought of this or are there others

Posts: 19 | From: orbit | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 07, 2014 16:37      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magic/Science

Science/Magic

If it is something that you are not familiar with, then the concept would seem like magic.

So does the universe play slights of hand with us mere mortals?

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5475 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2014 02:34      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Real" magic, or sleight-of-hand magic?

What, pray tell, is the definition of the former? Is it the stuff said to be of 'man in the clouds' origins, or unexplained natural phenomena? For the latter, it reminds me of what my adviser said years ago about AI - it's only AI until it's in everyday use. (Siri, for example, would probably have been the stuff of AI theory twenty years ago...now, it's a viable application of speech recognition software, NLP, and a well curated list of databases.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9210 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2014 08:16      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is all smoke and mirrors, and on electronic devices if you let the smoke out, no more magic.

--------------------

Posts: 5475 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2014 08:47      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Science doesn't have to be done under a black cloth, while a woman in a sequined leotard distracts the audience.
Unless it's Quantum Physics of course, that never works while anyone is watching.
Hmmm, you may be onto something...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10460 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2014 10:46      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is like looking for the electron spin, If you see the direction is it spinning in one direction because you are looking at it or was it spinning the other way until you started to observe?

Then the slight problems of Tachyons If you see it move, it must be going the other way because it disappears before it appears.

Magic Smoke and Mirrors?

--------------------

xxolah
Maximum Newbie
Member # 50394

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2014 14:08      Profile for xxolah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well the magic i am talking about is well merlin harry potter lord of the rings THAT stuff
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2014 14:15      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are not they all tied together?

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2014 20:38      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by xxolah:
well the magic i am talking about is well merlin harry potter lord of the rings THAT stuff

Well, those specific cases involve fiction. I see absolutely no reason why magic in such environments couldn't be backed by the science of that world. I'm not a hard core Star Wars fan (I only really like the 'first three' movies), but I seem to recall the Force being explained by the presence of midiclorians (sp?) being present everywhere/in all things. (Kind of like 'kami' in Shinto, but not quite.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9210 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
xxolah
Maximum Newbie
Member # 50394

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2014 20:44      Profile for xxolah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes i know that those are fiction but that is all i have to go on but i theorize that magic is real it is only a lost from of science
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2014 04:49      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Technology (science) that is sufficiently more advanced then what the observer knows will appear as magic.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3080 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
xxolah
Maximum Newbie
Member # 50394

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2014 06:07      Profile for xxolah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
according to who?
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2014 08:46      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most non geeks, you have joined the ranks of those that question. WHY, WHy, Why, why.

--------------------

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2014 09:37      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by xxolah:
according to who?

Captain jean-luc picard..

I'll look up the stardate for you when I get the chance.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3080 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2014 15:18      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Picard was paraphrasing Arthur C. Clarke. "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

That said, magic isn't a lost science. There is absolutely no evidence that any civilization on Earth has ever reached the level of knowledge that exists today. There are no scientific advances in the past that we don't understand today.

The closest thing you'll find to lost science are questions about which specific processes that were used to make things in the past when they could have been made several ways (Stonehenge, the great pyramids, Damascus steel, KFC's special recipe, etc.). We may not know how they were made in the past, but that does not mean we don't understand what they are and the science behind them.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2014 22:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
There are no scientific advances in the past that we don't understand today.

The closest thing you'll find to lost science are questions about which specific processes that were used to make things in the past

My 2 personal favorites...

Greek Fire (which will sound strangely familiar to Game Of Thrones fans).
Of course, the mystery there might arise from eye-witnesses exaggerating what they saw, but still...

Then there's Damascus Steel, we still can't quite match the Carbon-nanotube-enhanced steel the Indians were making 2300 years ago.

None of that counts as 'magic' of course, but it does show that the ancients had some cool tricks up their sleeves.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10460 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted March 10, 2014 01:06      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD wrote:
Then there's Damascus Steel, we still can't quite match the Carbon-nanotube-enhanced steel the Indians were making 2300 years ago.

From your link:
"certain types of modern steel outperform these swords"

Even though we may not be able to precisely duplicate Damascus steel, we can already produce better products. What we can't do is make the sword a meaningful weapon again. Guns made them obsolete and there's no undoing that.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 10, 2014 07:59      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While taking Metals and Alloys as an apprentice, one instructor claimed the the shape of the Scimitar-Sword, was achieved buy heating the blank to the color of the setting sun and then forcing a POW to bend over. The blank was then shaped and quenched by ramming the blank up the POWs rectum. Thus the smithy formed the arc of the blade with the shape of the spine.

--------------------

Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2014 19:57      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello! Hello!

I can say this. My first wife is a real scientist, and a real witch. She even has a dog named, "Merlin" So like that stuff does go together.

Mr. Geek 2U

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.