homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Awake lurkers, driving opinions sought!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Awake lurkers, driving opinions sought!
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2013 15:59      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See below for backstory
<question>
Is it wrong or inconsiderate to drive the speed limitor up to 5 kph over the speed limit in the left lane ( or lets define this as the lane closest to the center of the road so we are considerate of all people on this earth). I do this only when the outler lane (right lane) is travelling at less than the speed limit and I want to drive the speed limit.

<backstory>
I have never posted on reddit but surf there alot. often, comment threads show up about people driving too slow in the left lane ( right lane those who drive on the "other" side of the road, I am lookinbg at your england.) Anyways, there will be 1000 comments about how horrible it is to do this. And no one with the other opinion.

Instead of posting there and being set ablaze, I am posting here looking for why people find it to be so wrong, to drive the speed limit in the left lane, which I do when the right lane is moving at less than the speed limit. I am not a slow driver, I always drive on the highway betweenthe spped limit and 5 kph over the speed limit.

<bold>I guess the people are not arguing that they have a right to speed but that I have the dury not to block them. <\bold>

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2013 17:47      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ash. it depends on what I am driving or riding. In the Jeep I usually drive in the slow lane, if only two lanes are available, if three of more as I near cloverleafs I will move to the center lane to give those entering and exiting more leeway. Same with the motor-home. On the motorcycle I avoid the super slabs, too many damn fools.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2013 21:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ash, obviously one can't straight up admit to that desire, but what you've attempted to embolden is basically spot on. Please don't do that, it's the height of ...baggery. Consequently, around these parts, a bunch of people drive ridiculously fast in the 'near' lane (i.e. right lane .us) because people are driving moderately in the middle lane and sometimes slower in the far/left (.us) lane. I often drive home in the right lane lately with my cruise control on and set at or just above the speed limit - I get rather phenomenal mileage this way. (Alas, it's quite dull and far from expeditious. That said, I don't go /that/ much faster on my way in to work, but the morning pace is fairly swift - you'll get run over if you're not doing ~75.)

OTOH, I found people typically did the correct thing when driving in England and it was an utterly refreshing change of pace. (And holy cow, when I moved to the middle lane to pass someone, some folks blew past me in the far lane!)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2013 03:23      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks drago man, I know people think it is ...baggery, but I want to know why.. I am using the left lane for passing slower car and going at least the speed limit. why shoudl I move over and have to drive slower so they can pass.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2013 08:19      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because some states have laws that on multi-lane roadways that a driver must yield to overtaking vehicles,

I forgot to mention that I usually drive half the difference between the truck speed limit and the other vehicle speed limit. Using the cruse control.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2013 09:44      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ash: I agree, in principle, that you have no duty to facilitate the illegal and irresponsible behaviour of other, more lead-footed drivers.
But...
We don't live in an arsehole-free world, there are people out there who think anything less than foot-to-the-floor is an affront to their man/womanhood.
Those dickheads will stop at nothing to pass the 'slow' driver (who's not exceeding the speed limit as much as they are) and, Murphy's Law being what it is, it often turns out to be the wrong person who's suddenly removed from the gene pool.
So, in the interests of general safety, if I'm in the 'fast' lane, and see someone rapidly approaching me from behind, I move over and let them pass.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2013 15:33      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If a driver is actively passing someone then I have no problem with them being in the left lane even if that slows me down a bit. But there's a time limit per vehicle passed. Either crap or get off the pot.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2013 10:33      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I'm driving, I often do math*.

A mile is 5280 feet. An hour is 3600 seconds. One mile per hour is approximately 1.47 feet per second (call it 1.5 for simplicity).

Trucks tend to be between 20 and 24 feet in length. Cars are almost all less than 20 feet. Call the average vehicle 20 feet.

To pass a vehicle, you have to move over before your front bumper hits their rear bumper and can't move back until your rear bumper clears their front. The total difference is the sum of both vehicle's lengths, so call it 40 feet (yes, it's impossible to actually move over and pass without additional distance, but this is more about having numbers you can use to gauge relative speed).

40 feet divided by 1.5 feet per second is about 27 seconds.

So, if it takes a vehicle 30 seconds to pass a vehicle in the right hand lane, they're going less than 1 mph faster than the other car, 15 seconds is 2 mph faster, 10 seconds is 3 mph and so on.

If I'm driving for an hour at 60 MPH, going one mph saves only one minute... and my commute to work is only 30 minutes, so it's actually thirty seconds... the time it took to pass a car at that speed.

While it there's a certain mental satisfaction in passing other vehicles, I find it hard to justify being in the left hand lane unless I'm passing cars in three seconds or less (10 mph faster than the other traffic). Even then, I'm only shaving 5 minutes off my travel time, which doesn't mean much since I typically arrive 10-15 minutes early (I hate being late for anything).

So... if someone is moving faster and comes up behind me on the highway, two things run through my mind:
1) They aren't saving nearly as much time as they think and haven't thought this through.
2) I'm not really losing anything other than maybe the stress of being tailgated by moving over and letting them pass.

*In my head. We had what they called "ciphering" tests in grade school which involved the teacher flashing a math problem on the projector which we would then solve in our head and write down only the answer. 35 years later, I can still do math in my head better than virtually anyone else I know though I'm nowhere near as good as I was back then. I always felt sorry for the kids who froze up on tests, though, because this sort of test seems designed to make them fail as hard as possible.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2013 10:36      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops, double post.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2013 13:06      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G.S. I do not agree with your math. At sixty you are travelling a mile a minute divide by sixty seconds and then the distance is somewhat larger. However for me it is easier to think of 60mph as 88feet/sec. Here in Mi. the highway department, has put up reflectors along the expressway shoulders they are 88 feet apart. The correct name is delineators that is supposed to show drivers how far back they should follow the vehicle ahead, yeah right.

I too try to solve math in my head but it is easier while on the tractor less danger if the problem becomes too distracting.

Have fun this is not the rehearsal it is live.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2013 18:34      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a related note, a while back I read a thing about how much driving style affects fuel economy.
Basically, the claim was that planting the foot to overtake in city traffic uses a lot more fuel than simple cruising, and doesn't save much time (as explained by the grumpy one above)
So I tried a more 'Zen' driving style, and monitored time/fuel consumption with my car trip computer.
My fuel consumption dropped 10%, and it made no discernable difference to my drive time (it's still 35 +- 5 minutes, depending on road conditions). It seems all that dodging and weaving I was doing was just getting me to the next red light a little sooner.
So, now I'm saving money, and having a more relaxed drive.

btw - 1 metre/second = 3600 metres/hour = 3.6 km/hour.
Gotta love the metric system, best thing the French ever did - if only Napoleons metric time thing had caught on...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2013 18:46      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grumpy, I agree with point #1. I don't pass people because I want to get there faster (*) - it's because I hate following people. I prefer to have an open road in front of me so I can dedicate a slightly higher percentage of my CPU cycles to things like doing math in my head.

(*) Well, except when I'm very late for something and so I'm thinking irrationally and GOOD GOD WHY DID THIS IDIOT PICK TODAY TO CUT ME OFF AND THEN DRIVE FIVE MILES AN HOUR UNDER THE LIMIT?!

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2013 14:20      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

Gotta love the metric system, best thing the French ever did - if only Napoleons metric time thing had caught on...

I once worked in a lab that had old mechanical metric clocks/ timers, About 20 cm in diameter. I never wanted to steal something so much.I resisted. They were never used adn were in the back of a drawer that probably hadn't been opened in 20 years. I did the next best thign and stored one on my desk..

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2013 18:28      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do like the British way of doing it. Drive on the inside lane, at the speed limit (*ahem*). If you need to overtake, move to the next outside lane. Repeat with as many lanes as necessary. When everyone plays ball, it works a dream.

It's recently become illegal to float along in the middle/outside lane holding up traffic if the inside lane is clear. I have police officer friends who will also pull over people going significantly below the speed limit, whatever lane they're in (something along the lines of impeding the safe flow of traffic, or driving without due care and attention).

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2013 22:08      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
On a related note, a while back I read a thing about how much driving style affects fuel economy.
Basically, the claim was that planting the foot to overtake in city traffic uses a lot more fuel than simple cruising, and doesn't save much time (as explained by the grumpy one above)
So I tried a more 'Zen' driving style, and monitored time/fuel consumption with my car trip computer.
My fuel consumption dropped 10%, and it made no discernable difference to my drive time (it's still 35 +- 5 minutes, depending on road conditions). It seems all that dodging and weaving I was doing was just getting me to the next red light a little sooner.
So, now I'm saving money, and having a more relaxed drive.

I /mostly/ practice that - I pay a lot of attention to the instantaneous mileage readout on my dash. Boring though it may be, I often use cruise control as it gets me very good mileage. My car has an electronic throttle and I'm pretty sure it would be impossible for me to drive quite as efficiently as it does when maintaining speed. Just this evening my avg. mileage went from 34.1 mpg to 34.4 mpg while using cruise control at the speed limit. Gamification can be a very good thing. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2013 08:15      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fuel Economy and engineering. Back when I was working in the auto Industry, one car-maker and the one I worked for had a joint emissions project. I found out that the other company was playing with electronic valve timing (no Cam shaft and no throttle body just an intake manifold and air cleaner like diesel).

The system worked by sensing the first pair of pistons going into down stroke, pick one and open that intake and fire the injector. load one or two until one fired. then the valve lift and duration were controlled to regulate RPM. This allowed the valve timing to be optimized for best air flow and best mixture. Once running the driver then asked the controller to change the RPM with the throttle pedal or cruise control.

We had one or two working models before the plug was pulled,

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture