homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums


Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Need a new laptop - advice? (Page 2)

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 
 
Author Topic: Need a new laptop - advice?
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2013 11:02      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with CommanderShroom The performas iMacs and Quadras I have had just plain work. I did not not like that Apple drew a line in the sand about support for older equipment, but that is why Macs are More elegant than cookie cutter PCs.

I wish more developers did Ham programs for the Apple platform However Puppy on most PCs is a good substitute.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.


Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
5
Icon 5 posted June 13, 2013 15:09      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what's wrong with your current laptop?

Have you tried a re-install of the OS, etc, etc, Trash old files to make some space, etc, etc?

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2013 15:01      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:

My 0.02 here.

Save up for a new Mac. I know that the price is painful, but you are Mac people from the sounds of it. I think that in the long run you will be much happier if you do.

A little tricky when you're in the midst of buying your first house. [Wink]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2013 15:18      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
what's wrong with your current laptop?

Have you tried a re-install of the OS, etc, etc, Trash old files to make some space, etc, etc?

I've always been leery of re-installing the OS because I don't want to lose my files. (There's also the joys of using a second-hand computer: I don't have the install CDs.)

I emptied the trash. Also, we have a boatload of space remaining on the harddrive.

Macintosh HD:
Capacity: 119.69 GB (119,690,149,888 bytes)
Available: 88.99 GB (88,987,312,128 bytes)

Here's the information about my computer. Is there anything here that might give you some kind of clue as to why it's running oddly? I mean, we don't stress it out or anything. Is the memory under-supplied?

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB21.00A5.B07
SMC Version (system): 1.13f3
Serial Number (system): 4H646FUHWGM
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0017F231DB70

Intel ICH7-M AHCI:

Vendor: Intel
Product: ICH7-M AHCI
Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
Negotiated Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
Description: AHCI Version 1.10 Supported

TOSHIBA MK1234GSX:

Capacity: 120.03 GB (120,034,123,776 bytes)
Model: TOSHIBA MK1234GSX
Revision: AH008B
Serial Number: Y65ET08XT
Native Command Queuing: Yes
Queue Depth: 8
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Medium Type: Rotational
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
Volumes:
Capacity: 209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)
Writable: Yes
BSD Name: disk0s1

I'm running OS 10.6.8.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
5
Icon 5 posted June 14, 2013 17:52      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you mean by running oddly?

also, run disk utility (in your Utilities folder), and repair permissions and the drive if needed.

oh, btw, you DO keep regular backups, yes? [Eek!]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2013 14:00      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehehe...even K-9s know what garbage Toshiba laptops are:
http://tapastic.com/episode/9005

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2013 17:31      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Hehehe...even K-9s know what garbage Toshiba laptops are:
http://tapastic.com/episode/9005

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

LOL - Slight inaccuracy, though. Drug-sniffing dogs - at least on the East Coast - are German shepherds, Belgian Malinoises, or a cross between the two. Labs are cute, but they aren't intimidating like the European K-9s.

Should I be worried that my hard drive is made by Toshiba? [Razz]

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2013 17:35      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
What do you mean by running oddly?

also, run disk utility (in your Utilities folder), and repair permissions and the drive if needed.

oh, btw, you DO keep regular backups, yes? [Eek!]

Thanks for the reminders! I think running those helped.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2013 09:32      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:

My 0.02 here.

Save up for a new Mac. I know that the price is painful, but you are Mac people from the sounds of it. I think that in the long run you will be much happier if you do.

A little tricky when you're in the midst of buying your first house. [Wink]
First off good luck on the new home purchase!


But over the years it has been quite apparent that you and your husband are very Mac-centric. And the dislike you have for Windows OSes it is even more obvious that buying a Windows system is only going to frustrate you. And you will most likely try and replace what you have prematurely to get back to a Mac.

Glad that the disk utilities worked out for you, but it does seem that your system has a few years on it, so it may be time to look at things like a preemptive hard disk replacement with the reload of OS X.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2013 10:01      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:

My 0.02 here.

Save up for a new Mac. I know that the price is painful, but you are Mac people from the sounds of it. I think that in the long run you will be much happier if you do.

A little tricky when you're in the midst of buying your first house. [Wink]
First off good luck on the new home purchase!


But over the years it has been quite apparent that you and your husband are very Mac-centric. And the dislike you have for Windows OSes it is even more obvious that buying a Windows system is only going to frustrate you. And you will most likely try and replace what you have prematurely to get back to a Mac.

Glad that the disk utilities worked out for you, but it does seem that your system has a few years on it, so it may be time to look at things like a preemptive hard disk replacement with the reload of OS X.

You make a good case there, Shroom. I'll see what we can do about getting a new Mac. It'll probably wind up being next year, if we're going to buy a brand new machine. And then comes the joy of trying to decide which model we want. Ugh! I hate choices. [ohwell]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2013 11:20      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CS put it more elegantly than I would. GET A MAC.

Next best a PC with Ubuntu or Debian. The farther you get from WinBlows the less problems with Virii.

Cellar dwelling script kiddies.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.


Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged


All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 
 
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture

Powered by Infopop Corporation
UBB.classicTM 6.4.0



homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam