homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Am I being scammed?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Am I being scammed?
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2012 23:03      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I put up my washer and dryer on craigslist a few weeks ago because I am moving.

I got an offer.

The person though says they are busy and in the process of moving to the region and they need to send a check.

I said I would only accept a cashier's check or a banker's cheque.

They said ok it is in the mail ( UPS).

I keep waiting no check arrives. Then I write and say this is taking to long.

Then yesterday evening they start a google chat session with me (we both have gmail accounts). They keep asking me how far away I live from a chase bank. ( I live 170 miles away) and then they say the check is in the mail, I should get it next week. I inquire about a tracking number which they have not yet provided to me.

--->Then they say thier PA accidentally made the check out for 2000$ more then I was asking and that If I went to the trouble of sending the rest of the money back to them I cold earn a small commision.

RED FLAGS!!!

What scam are tehy trying to pull on me. I would never try to cash a check that is not a bankers check.I made that clear. I am betting if the check ever does arrive it is a personal check. I don't know.

I would not have ever given them the washer and dryer without payment. Do you think they are trying to postpone this until right before I move and then they will say give me the washer and the check will arrive? The overpayment seems like a totally different type of scam. I don't think someone with a personal assistent shops on craigslist for washers and dryers.

ps
I reposted my washer and dryer on craigslist and sold it today. I took cash and have already delivered.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3080 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2012 23:37      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The check will appear to be a cashier's check and you'll be able to cash it at a bank... but several days later, it'll be found to be counterfeit (most banks don't check that closely).

You'll wind up charged with counterfeiting and, at a minimum, you'll have to repay the $2000 as well as being out any money you sent to the scammer.

The point of asking about Bank of America is to make sure there's isn't one close enough for you to take the check there. If you took the check to the bank that supposedly issued it, it would be flagged as counterfeit immediately and you wouldn't be given money to send to the scammer.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt014.shtm

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2012 01:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Steen said, plus:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/about/scams

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9210 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2012 06:27      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Send back the Check. Or give it to the police.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5475 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2012 08:01      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the advice. Really!!! I would have accepted a cashiers check thinking they were the safe way you pay for stuff in this country! ( It was only when I had to wire money that my spidey senses started tingling.)

I have lived most of my life in the US but most of my adult life abroad. I had no idea that banks would cash fake checks. I already knew not to accept personal checks but I am surprised that bank checks are also not acceptable.

This begs the question, why are checks still used here. Every other country has gotten rid of them long ago. Gettign rid of them would seem to save vulnerable americans 100's of millions in fraud. It's not like the technology to get rid of them doesn't exist. Just look at ,well, what every otehr country does. In fact you all should just copy the swiss banking system. It is better in about every way. :-P

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3080 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2012 11:04      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because we do not do anything that looks European.

So why does Romney have his money off shore?

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5475 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2012 18:41      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashitaka:
This begs the question, why are checks still used here.

Overdraft fees.

Banks make far more screwing over checking customers than they lose covering bad checks. In addition, they don't even lose money from scams like the bank check scam you ran into because they force the customer who cashed the check to pay back the money.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.