homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Removing security tags

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Removing security tags
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2011 19:37      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So my wife was visiting friends in America (Tennessee)and I asked her to get me a couple pairs of Dockers as they cost less then have there than they do here.

She bought them at Macy's. When she was back here at home ( for those of you who don't know I live outside of Basel ( CH), we found that a secutity tag had not been removed.

How do you remove these?
It is a rather large ( 10 cm long) beige one. Are they filled with ink still these days? I think it is because if it was an RFID tag to set off an alarm, it should have set off the alarm!

Should I risk sawing through it?

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3080 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2011 22:31      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think a large electromagnet will release it. You may also try taking it to a local department store (with the receipt) and asking a sympathetic clerk to remove it for you.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3846 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2011 05:40      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well that's annoying. I don't know about ink, but regardless, the gates will not always trip. I had an instance recently where we bought something in one store, left, tripped the alarm in a different store, then tripped the alarm at the original store in the same spot we had just left ten minutes earlier. In some cases the gates may not even be active, just there as a visual deterrent.

As far as removal, I think the long rectangular ones are usually removed with a "gun" device, not an electromagnet. You would have to find a store with the same exact tag type for their removal system to work. If you're careful you might be able to hack through the pin. Not sure how much of a gap there is between the front and back of the fastener.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1668 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2011 05:47      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
instructabels was helpful enough.

A dremel maks quick work of these tags. I, not having a dremel used a scalpel heated with a candle. It canbe easily pushed through the hard plastic.

The trick is, in case you were wondering, is not to use brute forc and to cut the "bump" off exposing the pin.

it took me about 90 seconds to remove the tag, though, unless you have a silent dremel, this is probably not possible in a store.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2011 06:04      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
never mind

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2011 16:54      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Idle curiosity: Did you dissect the thing and find out if it is just a large RFID tag, or had dye in it?

I had the very same issue with some Dockers a few years ago at another store (not Macy's), and if not for the dread of some stupid ink, I would have just destroyed the thing with pliers and/or good cutting implements. I don't think any Googling at the time suggested your strategy, though I definitely wish I'd found such a page. It wasn't a huge issue to resolve, but I had to make a special detour to a different store location and wait in a customer service like to get the tag removed. Joy.

P.S. I'm not sure if your wife took advantage of this, but apparently, int'l visitors* can get 10% off at Macy's and possibly other stores, as found on lifehacker.

(*Actually, not just int'l - you just have to be from >250 miles away; it seems to have started out as an int'l discount.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9206 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2011 10:07      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
soley RFID, I guess the ones with dye are round. Still such a security tag would have made it unwearable in work situations.

feel free to go after one with a hammer, though, If you just try to rip it apart, the clothes will rip before the plastic.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.