homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » The Guilty Dogs video

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Guilty Dogs video
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted March 18, 2011 02:40      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted the Guilty Dogs video on our homepage the other day, as I thought it was hilarious. But then I received this email which made me question the response of the one dog...

Gotta tell ya, I'm disappointed with your posting of the dog video. It's totally uncool.

Poor Denver's behavior shows he (she?) is often punished -- a lot -- for just being a dog and doing what dogs do if poorly trained or improperly supervised. Look at her bracing to get hit before she bares her teeth in what is futile defensiveness. She doesn't know what she did wrong -- she only knows that tone of voice and that something bad is coming.

When I was a kid on the farm, 55 or so years ago, I thought swatting a dog's backside was how you got it to behave. Then one day I was punishing some unwelcome behavior in the stray we had adopted, and she did the snarl thing while hunkering down.

Jeez -- you don't have to be a genius or an animal psychologist to get it. And I got it. I never hit her again.

I've been ashamed of myself ever since for that day. And I've also learned a lot since then about being tolerant of a pet's natural behavior.

Anyway, I don't know if I'm the only one who's said something, but I hope not.

So yeah, that hadn't occurred to me. I've had a few dogs, and I've seen an "ashamed" look on them, and for me, I'm pretty sure it's because they knew they did something wrong and they were ashamed. My Mom's golden was especially smart and had a huge range of emotions. She would get that look whenever she rolled in puddles, and was covered in mud, and knew she couldn't come into the house without a bath. It was an adorable face.

I also have seen the teeth baring "smile" before on a dog, but that it was when the dog was excited and happy. He did it all the time.

But I don't think I've never seen a dog that did the smiling/baring teeth thing that Dever does (the baring of teeth) mixed with an ashamed pose. I just thought it was something quirky Denver does, but if anyone has any other thoughts, let me know!

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted March 18, 2011 03:08      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the muddy dog look....

-

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 18, 2011 04:02      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Embedding has been disabled. [Frown]

But the owner has posted this on YouTube comments...
addition: We took the comments off the video because some people were accusing us of beating our dogs. Absolutely FALSE! We have the most well trained, obedient dogs anyone could ever ask for and they are incredible with our 4 and 5 year old son and daughter. We are glad you are enjoying our video and we have more very funny videos of Denver that will absolutely crack you up! She is one of a kind and we adore her (and Masey)!!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2011 04:34      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never seen a dog 'smile' like that - it's pretty creepy.

quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Look at her bracing to get hit before she bares her teeth in what is futile defensiveness. She doesn't know what she did wrong

Disagree.

A now-departed druidhound used to like to dig. He knew it was forbidden, but it was just so much fun that sometimes he couldn't help himself.

Sometimes I'd get home and instead of the usual warm welcome there'd be a dog slinking around looking like he was about to die of guilt. It was so damned cute it took all of my willpower to act angry when I 'discovered' the hole he'd dug (usually in some secluded corner of the garden where he thought it might go unnoticed).

Dogs are smarter than OP gives them credit for, they usually know when they're committing a crime.

btw - on the subject of stealing cat food. The same druidhound used to do that, so we took to putting the cat food on top of the fridge where he couldn't reach it. So then he and the cat made a deal, she'd push the bag down off the fridge, he'd tear through the thick plastic with his teeth, and they'd share the proceeds.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2011 05:32      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea, I have to agree that the dog knew what it did was wrong.

I don't know why she bared her teeth though, seems odd to me.

I say you cen't tell from the video if the dog is abused.

I also wouldn't consider this video very funny or entertaining. My dogs growing up and my Kuro now are much more entertaining when they have done something wrong and know I am going to find out what they did.

------
Now here is a funny story (sorry no video) about my dog feeling shame for what he did.

A few months back my dog had some diahrea ( probably from carrying horse SH!T around in his mouth, which he did at the time but now has quit.)

...Anyways I knew he was sick and had the trots so I was keeping my eye on him to see when I needed to take him out back.

All of a sudden we were in the laundry room and he had to go, but he didn't even have time to head towrds the door when diahrea started spurting out of his backside (tile floor thank god). He is house trained and immediatly felt so much shame at what he did, he wanted to run off to his kennel( you could see in his eyes he was sorry).

Unfortunatly he stepped through the poo as he was running off and left brown tracks through my house on the way to his kennel. Me screaming after him NO KURO!, its OK I know it isn't your fault.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture