homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Riese

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Riese
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2010 11:54      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone seen the Syfy webseries Riese? I am downloading it now. ( stupid hulu and syfy not lettign me stream!)

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2010 12:36      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched the first episode ( hunt). No dialogue in the entire episode until the very end. I think it has potential, I will download and watch the other episodes.

The director should invest in a steadycam(R). I can't stand shakey filming.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2010 10:32      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gahhh! I hate the shaky camera thing that has pervaded filmmaking the last several years. Sometimes it makes me feel nauseous. And the rest of the time it's just annoying. Used sparingly it can enhance the story, but it's being way overrused these days.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2010 10:44      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stupid question: Does it feature smoking?

I'm completely ignoring SyFy now due to their featuring of smoking in almost every show I see. Something is fishy about that, and when I have 'free time,' I think I'm going to write something to them to complain about it.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2010 10:53      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there's no smoking in it, but syfy didn't produce it, some small company did, it was good , and then syfy bought the rights, we will see if they start smoking now that syfy has control.

and boy would that be a wierd proof then.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 17, 2010 21:48      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...what can I say - I was watching Caprica for awhile on Hulu, and I just thought it was a bit much. Then, I watched a few episodes of Eureka, and if I were to make a cosmic stretch, I'd say they invented the plot to go back in time, just to feature a character who /loves/ smoking. I wasn't about to outright say that Warehouse 13 featured smoking until I searched Google, and found out that lo and behold, my memory /was right/ -- they made a cigarette a fracking artifact.

It's the 21st century† and smoking is known to be a very bad thing. I may have no love for the MPAA, but I think I heard somewhere that movie ratings are actually affected by smoking, amongst other things, and obviously, advertising is generally a no-no, especially where kids might see it. With most civilized countries forbidding smoking in indoor places, there's a pretty clear trend that smoking isn't terribly 'cool' anymore. Why then, do the Syfy folks feel it offers anything to their plot? The only logical conclusion I can come to is that they must be getting a pretty healthy bit of funding from Big Tobacco. (Otherwise, their directors/writers/producers must simply be complete junkies.)

[/syfy-rant]

† ...and that's when everything changes. [Wink] [/beeb]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2010 01:31      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is funny is that the banning of smoking ads is probably one* of the single biggest boons to the smoking industry's bottom line. Before, when advertising was allowed, every company spent millions on advertising and since every company had to do this, one dompany did not gain significant market share. Then advertising was banned, and the companies didn't spend millions on advertising any more and market share stayed the same. In essence, the anti- smoking lobby saved these companies billions of dollars over the years. Don't you love Game Theory!!

*That is after that fact that teenagers think it looks cool and thier product is addictive.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture