homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Respectfully requesting your survey input (i.e. - asking a Geek!)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Respectfully requesting your survey input (i.e. - asking a Geek!)
Chet0012
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 35183

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2010 05:57      Profile for Chet0012         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Geek Culture Members,

As a pre-note: this post is Snaggy (pre)approved. I apologize if anyone construes this as SPAM. I do not meant it as such, and asked his permission before posting!

In order to promote continued research and study in the technological disciplines, a survey being distributed by an information technology graduate student and associated university is linked to below. The purpose of the study is to identify trends in technology professionals, in regards to their personality types and thinking styles. As the scope of information technology continues to evolve and spread throughout nearly ever enterprise, technologists will continue to find themselves as the business process and operational knowledge leaders within their organization. The goal of this study is to help build the case for technology career progression not only throughout the highest levels of IT, but, throughout the entire organization itself.

All of the results are collected anonymously.

I would like to personally thank you for participating, and appreciate your time. I've estimated that it will take about 5 minutes to answer the survey. If you do not know your MBTI type already, by using a link provided within the study questionnaire itself, you may use the self-assessment tool to discover it. That process takes about 10 minutes.

Please use the link below to access the survey:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/investigating-attributes

I do apologize for the intrusiveness of the post on your community, but, do sincerely hope that you'll help me with this research study by taking a few minutes! There's no profiting from this, and the results will be made freely available for others to use. I'm definitely typing out all these requests by hand, each time, so, I hope this is not construed as spam. Simply a member of the IT community asking for a few minutes of time from the rest!

Sincerely,

Chris Kronenthal

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2010 09:20      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are two problems with this.

First, I took the survey, but two of my answers were invalid. The second from last and next to last questions both presume that the person taking the test is a part of management. I am not. The test will not accept a blank response, however, so none of the answers is valid for me.

Second, I believe your basic premise, that there is a case for "technology career progression not only throughout the highest levels of IT, but, throughout the entire organization itself" is flawed.

The reality is that leadership and technology skills do not have much overlap. They aren't mutually exclusive, but developing both generally means being less competent in either than those who have specialized in one area over the other. In the corporate world, that's largely a dead-end strategy because the people who specialize and excel in an area are the ones who will be promoted (assuming promotions are fair, of course... you can suck at both and still blackmail, backstab, buy, con and sleep your way to the top just like they do in Washington).

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2010 09:41      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Grummpy I like your point, I also noticed that there was no place for retired workers to reply, like we don't have opinions that are valid. Poorly written......

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2010 14:20      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>The goal of this study is to help build the case for technology career progression not only throughout the highest levels of IT, but, throughout the entire organization itself.

I've spent most of my career carefully avoiding 'career progression'.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2010 19:00      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not think this survey works in IS/IT. IS/IT is not a single discipline nor can you really apply a corporate structure to it. It is an ever evolving series of specialities. This survey is not applicable period....

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2010 21:37      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Realistically, the only way you're going to work up the food chain at the highest levels is if you have an MBA and/or serious business acumen. If you have strong technical expertise in a given area, the odds are slim that you'll either: a) want actually run the place, or b) really have the chops to do so. You have a far better chance making a killing as a consultant or partnering up with a business guy to start a company making a widget in the field you know like the back of your hand.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2010 03:08      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ I do hope that Chet0012 does check back here in a timely manner. Surveys only gauge what the author wanted to gauge.

____ Like every thing else in life there are subcultures: A: the manager culture

B: The worker Culture

C: The Customer culture.

____ There may be more, but the cultures do not freely exchange ideas as there is mistrust, stratification. It is like polar and non polar chemicals, Gasoline and water, The water is never going to rise to the top, the gasoline may evaporate or the water may get stirred to the top, but it will soon start back down. Dman you are right when you say, presently only MBAs get to the top. They get there because they want to be there, and they do not understand the other cultures.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2010 04:09      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not in IT, I took the quiz, It does not seem as stereotyped as I was expecting form these comments.

I really don't think that the guy gets that there are peopel at teh bottom, who like it there, that have no wish to try to climb the ladder.

As for skill sets required for management, I go with 90% of what is requred is technical expertise in your companies area. I work for a pharma company, the day someone from IT or business/finance gets into the top positions in this company outside of thier department is the day I walk away.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2010 04:02      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ This to me is scary, real scary, I am sure that Snaggy and Nitro. are above this type of action. Are all of our members? How about lurkers?

____ Is there a way to prevent Copy & Paste from happening to a web page??

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703358504575544381288117888.html

____ Many people here have exposed a huge amount about them selves. I am not even going into Face Book, My Space, or those other places.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2010 10:11      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a public forum. With the exception of the superfan area, anyone can read anything posted on it and it's indexed and cached by Google, archive.org and a dozen other organizations. If you post information here, you're making that information permanently available to the general public, so you should behave accordingly.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 15, 2010 20:51      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^
|

like GrumpySteen said.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2010 03:00      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Kind of like the bulletin board at the grocery store, except the number of shoppers.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 16, 2010 09:31      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan exactly. I do block spambots when I can, and we are now testing out Cloudflare to filter out email harvesters and other threats. That's not perfect, and it's blocking a few legitimate people, but hopefully the bugs will be ironed out over time
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2010 15:58      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Snaggy thanks for the reassurances, I try to not divulge too much, but I am sure that some people have written things that they would not want matched with their persona. Face Book, My Space is just too open, I try to caution the grandkids, however to them I am the old fooggy, I do not think they understand the dangers.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2010 22:47      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can set your privacy settings on Facebook to be less open. My Facebook page, for example, is invisible to search engines. In fact, unless you're a friend of one of my friends, you won't even find me using Facebook's searching tools and unless you're a friend you won't see shit from my profile. My LinkedIn is less guarded, but that's just professional stuff.

It is, however, a good idea to double check your settings because Facebook is pretty sneaky and every now and then they open up a leak.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2010 06:48      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ It appears Facebook is like putting your own info on a restroom stall wall, (for a good time call)

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9191662/Facebook_battles_another_privacy_firestorm

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2010 09:46      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____ It appears Facebook is like putting your own info on a restroom stall wall, (for a good time call)

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9191662/Facebook_battles_another_privacy_firestorm

Yet another reason why I don't use Facebook.

According to that, if your _friends_ do stupid things on Fb, your info. gets passed along.

Thanks, but no thanks, Zuck!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2010 11:34      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ My opinion is that they are talking the talk. However they have no idea how to walk the walk. It is totally out of their reach to contain the monster. The reactor has gone critical and they do not know how to get the control rods back in. Yeah like shut off one vendor for two days then turn them back on, gimme a break.

____ Face it Facebook you have lost control. Getta grip before you poop your pants.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2010 06:20      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ PS to above about a year ago I got a letter from Visa, asking if these charges were valid. The letter told me to call the number on the back of my card. Some woman was buying produce and seeds on farm-ville and the purchase some how got to Visa. WTF?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture