homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » cleaning lady

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: cleaning lady
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2010 05:04      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So my wife decided we are going to get a cleaning lady for our house ( we both work 60+ hour weeks and don’t want to spend our weekends cleaning).

She also decided she will not use a company but hire a local woman herself as the cleaning companies charge 25-30 USD an hour but only pay the cleaning person half that. We would rather jst pay the 25 an hour to an “independent contractor”

Other than references, what should we ask for when talking to potential cleaning ladies.?

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2010 05:43      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Ash, make sure that the referrer is a closer friend of yours then the referee. We got into a mess over a renter, that trashed our house. Better friends of the referrer than of us.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2010 06:51      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would ask how long they've been cleaning professionally. What supplies they usually use (I can't stand certain types of cleaners) and whether they will supply them or if you will have to. How long it will take to do the job (since you're quoting hourly rates). Do they know how to deal with any special cleaning you need done (hardwood floors and stone tile come to mind as both can be stained easily).

I would also create at least a simple contract that specifies what chores are to be done and what to do if things are left undone or not done satisfactorily.

I doubt it applies there, but I would also ask if they carry insurance and, if so, what type and can they provide proof. In the US, at least, hiring someone directly and providing supplies makes you an employer and makes you a lot more liable if the person gets injured on the job (not to mention that you have to deal with withholding taxes and social security from their pay and reporting it).

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted August 03, 2010 14:38      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ditto to GrumpySteen's.

are they bonded, etc...

and if they are like my Mom's cleaners, do they stop and gab the whole time rather than actually clean? [Mad]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2010 14:47      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, if you're a typical geeky household, make sure they know which plugs can and can't be unplugged for the hoover (or cover any server ones with tape) and also what can and can't be cleaned. Amazing what you can trash when an overenthusiastic cleaner sprays things into vents or even onto screens that need specific products to clean.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2010 15:54      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine had a cleaning lady who was high as a kite most of the time and the results showed.

You probably want to avoid that.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2010 17:35      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you in the German-speaking part of Switzerland?

If so, does that mean you're looking for a Reinemachefrau?

</dead-men-don't-wear-plaid>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2010 22:22      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Are you in the German-speaking part of Switzerland?

If so, does that mean you're looking for a Reinemachefrau?

</dead-men-don't-wear-plaid>

if it is a joke I don't get it, if you are serioulsy searching for the german translation of cleaning lady it is Putzfrau, though this term is probably not politically correct.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2010 02:42      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
if it is a joke I don't get it, if you are serioulsy searching for the german translation of cleaning lady it is Putzfrau, though this term is probably not politically correct.

It's a quote from one of the more memorable scenes in Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid.

Doesn't surprise me in the least that it's a bad translation.

</movie-geek>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2010 04:22      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After some investigation, the translation of Reinmach frau is charlady or charwoman, which some (poor) english speakers use to designate a cleaning lady.

That is all, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2010 05:40      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
After some investigation, the translation of Reinmach frau is charlady or charwoman, which some (poor) english speakers use to designate a cleaning lady.

That would be the English.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2010 18:11      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwilnik:
Also, if you're a typical geeky household, make sure they know which plugs can and can't be unplugged for the hoover (or cover any server ones with tape) and also what can and can't be cleaned. Amazing what you can trash when an overenthusiastic cleaner sprays things into vents or even onto screens that need specific products to clean.

Years ago, I was working on a computer that had a *disgusting* keyboard. It was kind of slimy, and I shuddered to think what had been done to it, and made sure to thoroughly wash my hands after using it. Sometime later, I happened to be talking to the cleaning guy and learned that he had cleaned the thing with Pledge!

</oops>

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 06, 2010 00:24      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So we settled on one. She only has to vacuum in the office where all my tech is. She seemed releived after having looked at my computer desk. ( it is not neat and well organized)

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture