homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Big bang theory

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Big bang theory
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2010 13:34      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I have watched about five episodes of this series ( Big Bang theory on CBS in the US). What do you all think of the depictions of geeks.

I think that it is cool that they have a few tiny teaspoons of science in a sit com. And I have known a few freinds who are probalby geeks with some traits they use in the show. ( I had a friend who could not speak around girls he thought were attractive, a friend (OC) who would organize the sugar packets first thing upon sitting at a table at a restaurant) but I find that they have taken each of these trait to a clown like extreme, so much so that the charachters aren't anything like real geeks.

For instance, wh hasn't spent a saturday night doing a geeky movie marathon ( be it star wars or superman, or a newer trillogy). But the show makes it seem like this is a weekly occurance with geeks.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2010 15:36      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a coincidence, I started watching it last night.

I quite like it, although it feels like an American rip-off of 'The IT Crowd' (sitcom about a bunch of male geeks and one non-geeky woman).

Sure, the portrayal of geeks is over the top, (although I do know one guy who comes close to Sheldon) but it's a sitcom, not a documentary.

Side note: I read an interview with Richard Ayoade, who plays the painfully geeky Moss in 'The IT Crowd'. He was invited to audition for the role, and his instructions at the audition were "Just be yourself".

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 28, 2010 21:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So...some geek friends of mine introduced me to it a few weeks ago...and I too like it for the most part. [Smile] At the very least, I can revel in 'not being /that/ bad.' [Razz]

I /love/ the IT Crowd...but I would say they're rather different slants. Personally, I'm more aligned with the IT Crowd, and therefore find it funnier...but the former is so over the top that it's definitely good for a laugh.

What I'm considerably less than impressed with is the release schedules for the DVDs. Why the hell do they release them about one week before the start of the next season? I was able to watch season 2 on DVD through Netflix, but it's harder to catch up on season 3 before season 4 comes out...if they can't be readily obtained. I imagine this has to do with some brilliant strategy like "OMG, season 4 is coming out next week...get the newly released season 3 NOW, and watch ~26 episodes in one week if you want to be caught up." (Admittedly, due to the sitcom nature, there isn't /that/ much to catch up on...though they do love season finale cliffhangers.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture