homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Please, please, PLEASE - someone tell me there is an easy way

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Please, please, PLEASE - someone tell me there is an easy way
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted May 07, 2010 12:59      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How to make that short... Our IT is moving not only from XP to Vista, but from two separate networks to a single one. Which implies much security problems. And of course, everyone has to make sure the applications they are responsible will still work unter the much more strict security rules... And one of mine won't work.

I talked to one of the guys responsible for the transition, and he told me it is a matter of my VBS script creating and calling objects that aren't recognized, and I have to find the ClassID for them, so he can add them to the registry or something.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! (Insert much hair pulling here.)

I have queried Google. Looked at Microsoft library (it said it could be extracted by getting the ClassID value from the object itself; each time I try, the script tells me the object doesn't support that property or method). Searched my registry. The OLE viewer form Visual Studio. I just can't find the (&?%&*#*?()#$&#%(& ClassID.

The script I didn't write but am responsible of creates a WScript.Network object, a Wscript.Shell one, and a Scripting.FileSystemObejct one. (And later launches an executable: MTB40RUN.EXE with a FOG_B.TBK file as argument.)

PleeeeEEEEAAAAaaaase! Tell me how I can find or extract - or even forge, I don't mind as long as it works! - the needed ClassID.

Please? [cry baby]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2010 13:49      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stereo.
Try out WinDiff.

Linky link.

I don't know what changes that software packages makes, but this will help you chart them. So it may your best bet. Just remember to start with a system that has never run that script before.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2010 07:41      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a difference a week-end can make... I really was pulling my hair on Friday. Starting with a fresh mind this morning, I fell upon a little bit of information that finally led me on where to find the information in RegEdit... So just for the posterity:

- Open the registry editor (run RegEdt32.exe)
- Open the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT folder
- Open teh CLSID foler: they are all there.
- Searching from the CLSID or higher in the hierarchy, do a search on the ProgID name (it's in the data part of on of the sub-information, so make sure that "data" in checked in the search)
- If it exists, it will open the correct ClassID. It looks like {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} (in hexadecimal)

So, if for any reason someone looks for the ClassID of some Windows process, that's the way to go!

Thanks all!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture