homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » More Electronics Help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More Electronics Help
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2010 15:08      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just been too long since I took basic electronics.

I need to pass 30Amps @ 12VDC through a DPDT toggle switch. I found this switch at Granger electronics, and there is a local Granger store where I could easily pick up the switch.

The switch I found is rated for 20A @ 125VAC, would it be sufficient for 30A @ 12VDC?

If I pretend that AC is DC, it seems to me that the switch could handle 200A @ 12VDC... that just seems too simple...

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2010 18:01      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ MMKK, Switches are not rated by what they can carry but what they can turn off. If the load is pure resistance (lamps, heater element) no problem, however if the load is a motor or other inductive load, you will need to install blocking diodes to control the reverse pulse, as the magnetic field folds in.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2010 19:01      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grainger is the place for heavy duty industrial applications, but not so much for automotive type stuff.

I found this on Amazon. A little bit more, and if this is for the bus, it has the proper VW look.

Digi Key may also have something that would work.

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2010 21:43      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Shroom, MoMan.

I wound up getting this switch which is very similar (in function) to what Shroom linked to, but I didn't want the "center off" setting. Also, I like the big, bold, plain-ness of a silver toggle. I'm also going to get one of these and make some totally retro labels for the switch.

I'm just disappointed that I couldn't find anything locally.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2010 00:09      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOVE THE LABELER, We used to have one around the house growing up. With at least one of the labels, bend the tape as you stick it so you get a white crease in the label. THAT is totally retro!

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2010 07:34      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you found something, MMKK.

Not too many places will carry 30A 12V stuff. It is a pretty high rating. One thing to look for if you need more stuff like that, is to look through the white pages and find a parts store that sells stuff for heavy equipment (Semis, Backhoes, etc. ). They will be more likely to carry high amperage switches.

Also, consider using lower amperage switches with relays if you are using long runs. You can snag the relays from just about any modern car headlight setup. Then wire up a low amperage switch to activate the relay.

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2010 10:31      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
Also, consider using lower amperage switches with relays if you are using long runs.

Yeah, yeah, relays.... more components! [Razz] Most relays require a socket to plug them into, and you still need a switch... bah! Three components when I could get the job done with one big fat arse switch! And while I'm playing the role of grumpy git, it's current, not amperage.

Aye, ya' damn kids; get off my lawn! [crazy]

(Forgive me, I'm in a *very* weird mood today.)

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2010 12:08      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely more wiring, but you can snag the socket and a relay for very little cost from a you-pull-it type junkyard.

And even cheap old horn relays will do the trick if you don't need to get too fancy. The nice thing is that a relay is much better suited for high-load apps than most switches.

But I own a truck with three fuses, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. [Wink]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture