homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » XDMCP and GDM

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: XDMCP and GDM
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2010 21:29      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all, I finally set up my system for XDMCP and have run into some troubling issue that I am hoping someone else has seen.

I am connecting to a Ubuntu box ( Karmic Koala ) which of course defaults into Gnome for a display manager. That means I have set XDMCP up through GDM. I am working off of a Windows Laptop via XLaunch.

Here is the issue.

I can log in once, work through a session without any issues. But after I disconnect the only way I have been able to reconnect is to reset GDM. Otherwise I get an error about not being able to connect to the X session. This is not exactly what I would consider an optimal solution.

Is anyone familiar with this issue? And is anyone familiar with a fix? Is it GDM, or perhaps is it a setting that needs to be tweaked. Any thoughts on this are welcome.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2010 20:44      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got it fixed (sorta).

It appears that it is a bug of some sort in GDM ( the default Ubuntu Display Manager). So my only recourse was to switch to another DM.

I decided to go with KDM because I like the interface and it has generally been good to me.

Now I have been able to successfully connect disconnect and reconnect. Yay me!

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture