homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » laptop options

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: laptop options
mar
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 31440

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2010 12:53      Profile for mar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which laptop is better: inspiron 1564 or studio 15? Both Dell.
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2010 13:41      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both can be configured so that they are, for all intents and purposes, identical.

They can also be configured to be wildly different.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2010 13:56      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never owned or used a dell, and know absolutely nothing about both metioned coputers. BUt I'll go with the second one because it as a smaller number in the name (which means absolutely nothing.)

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2010 16:29      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neither - Dell's consumer line is absolute junk, get a Latitude instead.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2010 22:45      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
Neither - Dell's consumer line is absolute junk, get a Latitude instead.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I second that. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2010 23:04      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Compared to HP's, Dell's consumer line isn't *that* bad, unless I've missed anything from PCMag.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2010 07:09      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It isn't the short-term usage of a consumer Dell that is so bad, but instead their long term robustness.

Dell are built cheaply and over time, this cheapness shows.

I have seen plenty of Dell with broken and missing keyboard buttons,, rubbed off plastics, cracks in the body, etc.

HP tends to cheap out on their lowest of the low, however, even in the low end stuff, they don't skimp quite as bad.

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
mar
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 31440

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2010 21:33      Profile for mar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you.

If not Dell or HP, is there a consumer line that is sturdier long-term?
I just checked Latitudes and they are vastly more expensive and don't come with i5.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2010 22:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want a /nice/ PC laptop, I recommend Lenovo, but again, I'm not a fan of the cheap consumer crud.

Really...if a Latitude doesn't come with an i5...who cares?

The reason it's more expensive is because it'll actually last you 3+ years instead of becoming obsolete within a year.

Cheap Inspiron laptops are loss leaders. Almost no one actually buys the $400 laptop...they add things on until it's at least $800, which might actually come with a halfway decent warranty. Why not spend ~$1100 on a /real/ laptop with a /real/ warranty?

(By that token, ever notice how Apple doesn't sell super-cheap laptops? Arguably the key reason for this is that they're greedy, but the quality factor is a close runner-up. [Big Grin] )

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mar
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 31440

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2010 17:42      Profile for mar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: i5 and i7 - I read in PC magazine that they are faster and recommended.

I don't have any hands-on experience, but I do need something that processes as quickly as possible. I have to have a lot of windows open at a time without getting the system hung up or crashing.

Open to suggestions/wisdom.

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2010 18:05      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Mar, If you are going to be doing photo editing, color corrections, graphic arts the choice would be go Mac. Run of the mill number crunching any PC, with any flavor of linux or MicroShaft. If you are going to be doing Insurance forms for vision care in the USA then a Leased Mac from GOLD SOFTWARE is the way to go.

____ If you are designing parts and machines then a purpose built Unigraphics work station would be needed. Especially if you also have to develope tool paths for machining centers.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2010 18:29      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mar:
Re: i5 and i7 - I read in PC magazine that they are faster and recommended.

I don't have any hands-on experience, but I do need something that processes as quickly as possible. I have to have a lot of windows open at a time without getting the system hung up or crashing.

From the above, it looks like your priority should be lots of RAM, rather than a faster processor.

Not that I'm against having a fast processor, but if you're in the habit of having lots of windows open, insufficient RAM is more likely to cause you problems than insufficient horsepower.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2010 22:00      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm kind of jaded against 'gotta have the fastest' - CPUs are pretty much commodity items these days. Very few people (read: gamers and video/graphic editors) actually use the full amount of processing power available to them these days.

TFD is right about RAM, though - that'll make the biggest difference in 'performance' for multitasking.

Oh...and a biggie to me - more CPU = faster batter drain + hotter computer.

PC Mag may showcase 'nifty' stuff, but they're largely a shill for computer manufacturers. As such, I wouldn't take them at their word that you 'need' an 'i7.' YMMV, though.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture