homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » GEEK, NERD AND COOL RESEARCH (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: GEEK, NERD AND COOL RESEARCH
BRUNELRESEARCH
Newbie Larva
Member # 28835

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2009 11:37      Profile for BRUNELRESEARCH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I'm Clare and work as a researcher for Brunel University in London. I'm currently working on a project about how young people construct their identities. We are particularly interested in opinions about geeks, nerds, cools and uncools. Initially I’m interesting in finding out:

• What is a geek?
• How does it differ from being a nerd?
• How do you define cool and uncool?

All names will be changed. I would really appreciate your feedback. You can also reply at my blog site HTTP://BRUNELRESEARCH.BLOGSPOT.COM

Thank you

cc

Posts: 8 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted September 12, 2009 16:48      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I'll bite....

First: we geeks don't appreciate when people post the same topic in three different areas of the forum.

Second: we don't respond well TO TOPIC NAMES TYPED IN ALL CAPS, because to us, all caps = screaming at the top of your lungs.

Third: it is my wish that my response is the only one you get in the hope that it will discourage you from engaging in these practices in the future.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2009 16:49      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Clare

Thank you for your messages. I am going to offer a little advice, which I fully realise is something one should never do.

Your interest in these forums will not be well received, at least as long as it is solely based on the motives you describe.

Whilst I am sure your approach is entirely innocent and pure of intention, we are not a zoo.

I have phrased my reply a bit more politely than what I suspect the general reaction to your posts may be, however, it remains the case that you have not got off to a good start. Please post again if you are interested in contributing to the community - but if you are simply looking for lab specimens that will do your thinking for you then then the wilfully patronising tone of my reply was not entirely umwarranted.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2009 17:23      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh come on, give the girl a break.

She comes to a site called Geek Culture, and posts a question in 'Ask a Geek' about...

Geeks.

Ok, so the ALL CAPS is a little annoying, but we were all n00bs once you know.

If I was 30 years younger, I'd participate in her research.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2009 17:34      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Famous Druid

____ Me thinks you only want to research her. Now if it were forty years ago and she showed up with a bottle of Tullemore Dew I might be convinced to be an experiment.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2009 17:51      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I were 30 years younger..... [evil]

oh. hang on a minute.....I'd be 13 [shake head]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2009 18:52      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder what the median and average age of the regular posters here is. I'm 41 and quite few others who post here are in the same age range.

I also wonder what constitutes "young" for the purposes of the question.

All that aside, I would suggest that Clare search the forums since there are at least two or three topics from the last few years that thoroughly documented most forum members' opionions.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2009 18:55      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trouble is I think I have seen a very similar posting here before... not from this lass but almost identical (cba to go dig in the archives tbh) and more annoying than the SHOUTING is the heavy spam for the blog.... I seem to recall the previous poster got blasted for that too

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2009 19:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be happy to discuss that over a cuppa. [Wink]
(Or a pint.)

But not in a thread introduced with shouting.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BRUNELRESEARCH
Newbie Larva
Member # 28835

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2009 05:29      Profile for BRUNELRESEARCH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apologies to those who were offended by capital letters in the header, I have not used forums before and have not received any such emails. Clare
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 13, 2009 08:57      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Clare, so far we do not know squat about you, and you want us to open up and spill our guts to you. We need more info???? What is this research about and how would we benefit??? There has to be something in it for us. If Tullamore Dew is too expensive John Jameson & Sons will do.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
BRUNELRESEARCH
Newbie Larva
Member # 28835

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2009 10:49      Profile for BRUNELRESEARCH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this comment 'Now if it were forty years ago and she showed up with a bottle of Tullemore Dew...' has excluded you from the age criteria but thanks anyway. Research has a bad name because many people think of annoying market researchers or clinical trials. Qualitative sociological research is different and has a lot of ethical guidelines. Paying respondents could be seen as a way of getting them to say what they think we want to hear. The return from taking part in research is knowing that your opinions may have shaped the outcome of the analysis and that your voice has the opportunity to be heard on a alternative platform
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 13, 2009 14:48      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you know what would help? Link to your university. Better yet, link to your department. Who is your teacher? Who can be contacted if people have questions about the legitimacy of your research? (Opinion research people will revert to any trick to get to know people's mind; how do we know you are legit?)

Then, clearly state who you are looking for. Male and female alike? Worldwide or local? Age range? Add methodology if possible: after all, you are talking to geeks!

Also, I do not think ethnologists should study a community without at least researching what is already known about it. May I suggest you look for "netiquette"? Those are the online social rules.

Good luck.

Oh, and I'm probably too old, too.

Edit: you can modify your topic's title by editing your first post. Please do us this favour.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted September 13, 2009 15:36      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far, I see a request for data. No links to credentials.

We see FAR too many requests for this type of info, and all of it for bollocks. You will get no data from me until you tell us or show us what it is exactly you are up to.

Some us grow weary of spammish type requests....

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 13, 2009 17:58      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ W T F , there is an age limit on being a geek??????

____ Well lassie you better go talk to Steven Hawking, he's older and geekier than I.

____ Himself goes wandering off mumbling to Himself!!!!!

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 13, 2009 21:05      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
General aside about this research: If all the intentions of the research were revealed up front, I have a feeling it might impact how people answer, no?

That doesn't make me love the seemingly spammy link and/or post, but I think it's a practical consideration.

Now if you'll excuse me, it's time to watch some IT Crowd. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted September 13, 2009 23:22      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems to me this is some 100 level undergrad class assignment, considerig the stated goals in the linked to "blog"

quote:

• What is a geek?
• How does it differ from being a nerd?
• How do you define cool and uncool?

Never one to shy away from a discussion on semantics here goes, first ones free...

Geek, one who is different from the status quo, proud of it.

Nerd, One who is different from the status quo, not nessesarily proud of it.

cool, is what your click is, uncool is what the other clicks are.

If any Supers want to discuss semantics further we can move this conversation into the clubhouse. (I know there are other language fans out there)

-ash

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 14, 2009 02:31      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Me thinks some large marketing company has offered a grant to find out what Young basement dwellers want. This is nothing more than a marketing ploy!

____ Buying item A will make you cool.
____ Buying item B will make you uncool.

____ Well go find some other zoo.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 14, 2009 02:32      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____ Well lassie you better go talk to Steven Hawking, he's older and geekier than I

And still a regular at titty bars, even at his grand old age...
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 14, 2009 03:45      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____ Well lassie you better go talk to Steven Hawking, he's older and geekier than I

And still a regular at titty bars, even at his grand old age...
Feynman was also known to enjoy such establishments, maybe there is a connect to great science and looking at breasts. I think there is at least enough anecdotal evidence to get a research grant.

Does anybyody have the address for the NSF?

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

BRUNELRESEARCH
Newbie Larva
Member # 28835

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2009 04:10      Profile for BRUNELRESEARCH   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to those who have posted positive replies, I did not include more info on the project initially due to the amount of negative comments. If anyone would like to be interviewed I am more than happy to provide you with more detailed project information and anything else you may require.

The project is a collaboration between Brunel and Malta universities. The theoretical framework is based on Goffman's (1963) notion of stigmatised identites and how young people construct ideas of the self through a process of reflexive performances (Giddens 1991). The methodology framework is qualitative, employing photo-elicitation interviews and semi-structured interviews. The age range is 14-25

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted September 14, 2009 04:50      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With few exceptions, I believe we are mostly too old. merde

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 14, 2009 05:16      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
Feynman was also known to enjoy such establishments, maybe there is a connect to great science and looking at breasts.

So you're saying if I go stare at boobs for a while, I'll get good at physics?
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 14, 2009 05:32      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
Feynman was also known to enjoy such establishments, maybe there is a connect to great science and looking at breasts.

So you're saying if I go stare at boobs for a while, I'll get good at physics?
You might learn some Calculus

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 14, 2009 05:33      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Stibbons, from my days of study. Large boobs defy many laws a physics, some thing about unsupported Mass. Sometimes I would like to see, a finite analasis of the stresses involved, I think this needs more field study.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture