homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Is this a dumb POOP idea?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is this a dumb POOP idea?
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2009 05:23      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________ I'm at it again ___________________

___ If some one was to mount on of these on the top of their Computer then they could use their Laptop drive for their desktop and there would be no need to sync.

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=906&sku=17705

____ My desktop will boot off the lappy HD.

____ Am I full of POOP? I like not having to keep setting up or changing my contacts, or getting cookies moved to the Lappy.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2009 05:34      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
basilcally you would be Mcgyvering a docking station. At a previous employer this is what we did with the docking stations. we all had laptops for portability, but our desks all had docking stations, so you set you laptop on it (with a closed top) and then your monitor, keyboard, printers ect would all run.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2009 05:45      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________ Ashitaka ____________________

____ I was gifted some non-functioning Laptops, I could save one, but I kept the HDs from all of them. I set up various OSs onto the extra drives, this allowed me to have multiple boot systems. I was at a Comp. swap show and bought one of these adapters for fun, then I found a real use for the thing.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2009 08:35      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be a horrible kludge of an implementation. You really don't want to go screwing around with internal hard drives more than you have to, lest something get broken along the way.

It would be much more straightforward to simply get a USB -> IDE/SATA adapter (I have a 3-in-one [2.5/3.5/SATA]), and use the drive at an external drive.

P.S. From the site you referenced, I'd recommend a device like this:
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=1540&sku=30504&relatedItem=true

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2009 09:39      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________ dragonman97 ____________________

____ No, No, No I have one Lappy that is used for route planning and finances, with GnuCash on a thumb that is not stored with that Lappy. I have another Lappy ( A Dell ) that has a slide out HD right side of box. I ended up with four Laptop Drives. So one has Ubuntu on it, two has Puppy, and three has Debian. The desk top has one CD-rom and one DVD burner. it also has an eighty gig set as slave so that the lappy drive becomes the boot drive. I use Ubunto for web surfing and it keeps all the cookies, like for here.

____ Now for ham radio, Puppy and Fldigi make a very good set up. For SSTV (Slow Scan TV) MMSSTV on WinBlows is the best. I am tring to get APRS to work on Ubuntu on the desktop, because when I add PowerSDR (Software Defined Radio) I will need two sound cards.

____ I also have an external HD in a USB box, but two of these three machines will not boot from USB.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture