homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » OSGrid?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OSGrid?
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2009 07:42      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone! I guess pretty much everyone here has heard about Second Life - I've been a more or less active user for a couple of weeks now.

What you may or may not know is that Second Life is also used as a simulation tools for corporate training; and my boss has asked me to considerate such a use for our needs.

Now, to the point. I have very recetly stumbled on a similar product, but open-source and self-hosted: OSGrid. I will probably take a look, since this would be easier to "sell" to the direction (we already have, use and maintain servers, the only supplementary cost would be maintaining the new software and the additional server load, but I expect it would cost less than buying an island in Second Life, and it would be easier to control who access it when). But I would really like to have other's opinion. Is it good? Is it mostly comparable with SL? What are the main differences (beside being open source and self-hosted)? Is it easy to create buildings and objects? How powerfull is the scripting? How much realistic can you get? And all that stuff?

Anything would help. Thanks.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2009 11:34      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing that's really well known about Second Life is how many people talk about it. It's far overhyped as the Second Coming, and everyone wants to get on the bandwagon, but I just don't see it being 'there yet.' Certain constituents around these parts have made similar mumblings, and we've politely blown them off, and left them to tinker to their hearts content.

These may be the grumblings of a practical geek, so if scads of people are using it, I may be wrong.

By the same token, I've been curious about something for awhile - just how many people actually have or use MacBook Air laptops? ("Airs" just sounds wrong.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2009 14:32      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen a fair number of "airs" in the wild at the neutron source I regularly visit, so this would be physics/chem geeks. It does tend to be the older profs though, who I would guess have much fewer money worries than average. The lesser macs are more prominent with the younger crowd. I've also seen a fair few in BA airport lounges.

I was thinking about getting one myself, as I would like something more portable than my current black macbook. I could get a netbook, but cannot find anything nice with a spec I want, at a cheaper price.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2009 16:37      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was shopping for a Mac laptop I thought about the Air, but the functionality:price ratio was just too ugly. So I decided on a MacBook Pro and ended up getting a MacBook because my PC was fading faster than I could save the money. Wasn't going to make another pay cycle. *sigh*

That's okay though. The MacBook has enough juice. I just wanted a bigger screen. The graphics card in the Pro would have been pretty cool too, but not necessary.

Most of the physicists around here are married to PCs because that's what runs the best implementations of LabView and some other bits of ugly. I had a feeling that this might be a problem back when I was shopping for a computer, but I got a Mac anyway because I didn't want to deal with the whole remove Vista and install XP nightmare and, anyway, my crystallography software needed a *nix platform. This would probably be true for the people at a neutron source as well - you want something stable to crunch your numbers and I'm willing to bet the macromolecule crystallographers are using the same software suite I was. But I've got VirtualBox and XP running on my Mac now so really, I can have it all. [Big Grin]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2009 17:50      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I [hearts] my MacBook.

The MacBook Air strikes me as thoroughly impractical, and in these parts, I've yet to see one in the wild.

The only thing I would like more is a lighter laptop, and I'm thinking about a netbook for a 'travel-friendly' laptop. However, I can't go without useful ports, and the MacBook Air isn't /that/ light, and it's far too expensive to justify.

P.S. Personally, I prefer my MacBook over the comparable MBP of the time as it's a bit lighter, and I actually /don't/ want more power, as more power == more heat. This 2.0 GHz C2D is plenty fast, and with 3 GB of RAM now, it's really quite capable. (I can run both Firefox *and* VMware at the same time. [Big Grin] )

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tom- geeking around

Member # 2876

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2009 01:32      Profile for Tom- geeking around   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't get the Macbook at all.
My dad has his second Sony Vaio now, and it showed that it really sucks to not have *any* optical drive installed. His first Vaio had none installed and you could only carry them with you - stuff that makes your backpack bulkier. His second now has the drive installed and it rocks.

I'd vote for a Vaio or other laptop with similar dimensions, just with an optical drive installed and a few extra ports. The Macbook Air is just ridiculous regarding that - and the price tag too.

--------------------
Pizza and ginormous jugs is what I need!

Posts: 374 | From: Vienna | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2009 05:41      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vaio, eh?

They are the only PC brand which has me interested as much as the air, but from my memory are even more expensive. I can't find prices on their site, but came across this rather pretentious gem:
quote:
Prestigious Colours
Be proud of your notebook. The luxurious-looking TZ-Series is finished in a choice of classic black or exclusive platinum sand.

I mean, please.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 17, 2009 08:27      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since now the Aluminium MacBook is called the 13" MacBook Pro, I'm wondering if the "MacBook" brand is making room for the rumoured netbooks. Anyway, the MacBook Air has just got more attractive at its $1500 price point. I'm not missing the optical drive, I seldom use mine for retrieving backups from the PC in Bucaramanga, and that was because I'm yet to get an 8 GB thumbdrive.

Getting on topic, I've heard some good feedback on OSGrid, but it's a project that has to mature and gain focus, it still feels like a toolbox without a specific purpose.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2009 02:00      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing about Vaios is they are... um... not durable. At all. Which is kind of a crappy thing in portable computing. Everyone I've known that has had a Vaio has sworn they would never buy another one. (Maybe the current generation is better, I don't know. They're shiny, anyway.)

As far as netbooks go, I'm really happy with the Eee. It's my primary machine these days. The lack of an optical drive really isn't a problem, not with a decent sized hard drive.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture