homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Password Managers (Any Platform)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Password Managers (Any Platform)
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2009 04:54      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use MyPasswordSafe, though I had a freak-out moment when I upgraded Ubuntu versions and there was some kind of weird conflict and it self-destructed when I tried to add a new password. (Luckily I had a backup of the database and was able to figure out that it was a known bug and I needed to update the software.) Since then I've been thinking about just using pwgen and saving them in an encrypted text file.

How do you guys do it? What's out there these days for Mac and Windows? Any other password management tips?

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2009 05:16      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
______________________ fs _____________

____ FS I use a simple mode I take the model or car, truck, or Motorcycle I really like and inset the year of it's manufacture into the word. So lets say I had a 1972 Nova (no1972va) it works for me is easy for me to remember and would be hard to break. No I never owned a Nova, so the above does not apply to my passwords.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5473 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2009 06:08      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Opera's password manager does a great job. I believe firefox has a similar functionality. In my opinion using browsers own password system is more convenient. Unless you move your passwords around a lot.

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2009 06:43      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't use a password manager and rely, instead, on a system that makes it sort of easy for me to remember/guess my password while still being secure while still being fairly secure. My passwords are all follow this pattern:
<misspelled Klingon word><misspelled english word><abbreviated related name><mysterious number>

I have a short list of Klingon and english words memorized that I use for passwords and I change the first letter of each (ROT-n encryption FTW), then add an abbreviation related to the use of the password (gc for GeekCulture, wl for work laptop, etc.) and then add a number which I can increment rather than memorizing an entirely new password.

The end result is that everything gets a unique password that I can guess within a few tries which is complex enough that nobody else could guess at it.

The exceptions to this patten are throwaway email accounts that I use for signing up for contests and free crap. I abandon them within a few months and all the user information is false, so there's no point in security. I use the same eight character password for all of them (sponge42). If someone wants to see a big pile of unread spam, who am I to make it difficult for them [Smile]

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2009 07:05      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
I use MyPasswordSafe, though I had a freak-out moment when I upgraded Ubuntu versions and there was some kind of weird conflict and it self-destructed when I tried to add a new password. (Luckily I had a backup of the database and was able to figure out that it was a known bug and I needed to update the software.) Since then I've been thinking about just using pwgen and saving them in an encrypted text file.

How do you guys do it? What's out there these days for Mac and Windows? Any other password management tips?

[emphasis mine]
Encrypted text file FTW. No one system works perfectly, and I just don't want to have some program burp on my as above, so I use tried & true vim. [Smile]

Scheme? That's an entirely different story - and one I'll keep mostly under my hat. However, I will note that the beauty of keeping passwords somewhere other than one's brain is that they can be as long and difficult as the site will permit. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9209 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2009 08:53      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the Mac I use Pastor It also includes a password generator. It has fields for notes to put info like your secret questions. They are working on an iPhone/iPod Touch version.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2009 12:09      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Splash ID. I first bought the iPhone app for about four quid, liked it, and shelled out about another twelve quid for the desktop app. Now any entry created on the iPhone syncs with the desktop and vice-versa ( manually though, not automatically). It generates passwords, gives an indication of the strength of any passwords you create, and uses Blowfish 256-bit encryption.

The main advantage for me is that I only have to remember one big stoopid password, made up of one of my longer existing passwords with significant numerical sequences added on to each end.

I reckon that is safe enough for me - no-one is going to be that interested in my tiny little secrets. [Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 09, 2009 19:26      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the Mac folks I know rave about 1Password.

http://agilewebsolutions.com/products/1Password

MacMercTV has a good episode on it...
http://www.mevio.com/episode/141864/MacMerc.TV:+1Password

available for iPhone too.

Posts: 7826 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 09, 2009 20:43      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Opera's password manager, and for keeping safe files away from lurkers, a GPG key.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.