homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Which domain registrar do you use?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Which domain registrar do you use?
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2009 04:53      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the same company I get my hosting through, ICDsoft, but they require you to have a hosting account.

People often ask me where they should register their domain name, but for whatever reason, they aren't interested in hosting. (Usually because they are planning on using it with Wordpress.com or Blogger or something.) So what are the reputable, inexpensive registrars? (Please don't suggest GoDaddy.)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted May 09, 2009 08:59      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My university owns the country domains, they're tad expensive at about 35 bucks per year just for the domains, and they give them away for two years. I'd be getting one for the furry community once we're established.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 10, 2009 19:23      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@ryanblock just twittered he is switching his to http://www.name.com
Posts: 7836 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2009 21:20      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fs: A fine question indeed, and one I'm interested in. I'm thinking about picking up a couple of domains, and don't necessarily need hosting...and I've been leery about GoDaddy for quite some time, even though the 'price is [kind of] right.'

Snaggy: /Very/ interesting. I'm sure I must have heard of them at some point, but I don't recall seeing such nice figures.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9220 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2009 11:40      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use 123-reg, for the sole reason that they're cheap (at least, for .XX.uk names). Yes, I'm that much of a skinflint [Smile]
Posts: 1133 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2009 20:26      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My domain is registered through my host, 1 & 1. The purveyor of that other Canadian webcomic, User Friendly, suggests Register4Less.com.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1673 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2009 19:09      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use bulkregister.com. No complaints so far. I use them for names and DNS. I host with other people. I STRONGLY believe you should not have your DNS done by the people who provide your hosting (or at least your mail forwarding). If the hosting deal goes paws up, at least it's easy to tell the DNS side to point to a new address.
Posts: 2868 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2009 04:06      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
I use bulkregister.com. No complaints so far. I use them for names and DNS. I host with other people. I STRONGLY believe you should not have your DNS done by the people who provide your hosting (or at least your mail forwarding). If the hosting deal goes paws up, at least it's easy to tell the DNS side to point to a new address.

I agree with that. Mine is a reseller for eNom and provides access to eNom's control panel where I can edit the DNS. One of my accounts lives in their Hong Kong data center, so it was nice to have the option when that undersea cable was cut a couple years ago. they never completely lost connectivity (though it was slow for a while there), but if it had been unreachable I wouldn't have been screwed.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2009 06:11      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used directnic.com for years. Now I'm on name.com and they are pretty good.

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2009 14:02      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I register all my domains through GoDaddy, they are a clusterfuck, stay far away, but they are cheap.
Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.